x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Sci-Fi Discussion in TV and Movies

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... Next »
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-09-29 10:32 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The big date's supposed to be 12/21/12, Yoldering, so that gives 'em nine more days.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-09-29 10:46 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

BTW, anyone watch "The Event?" Very sci-fi and interesting new series....
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-09-29 10:50 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Didn't see it myself, but I've heard some folks say they thought it was disappointing.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2010-09-29 11:12 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I have watched both episodes and I have enjoyed it.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-09-30 10:31 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I watched the season opening of Stargate Universe last night; disappointing to say the least. As the third part in a three parter, it had lost the energy of the first two.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2010-09-30 3:04 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

CE Geek - 2010-09-29 4:32 PM

The big date's supposed to be 12/21/12, Yoldering, so that gives 'em nine more days.

Yeah, I'm a bit dyslexic...That's what I meant. I still didn't like the movie 2012...
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2010-10-04 6:56 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Man I just missed SGU because we changed our cable subscription and lost the channel. I'll need to fix that somehow...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-10-04 7:05 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I gave up on the StarGate series when they failed to have any continuity and dropped the Atlantis series without resolving everything...or anything.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2010-10-04 7:14 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

takwu - 2010-10-04 12:56 PM

Man I just missed SGU because we changed our cable subscription and lost the channel. I'll need to fix that somehow...

Takwu,
I think you can stream SGU episodes on the scifi channel's website.
In fact, here you go. http://www.syfy.com/rewind/

Edited by Yoldering 2010-10-04 7:16 PM
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2010-10-05 3:33 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Yoldering that is only for US users. Thanks anyway.

For Canadians, I had to go to spacecast.com, which has the episode available after it airs it on friday, but it's only there for 7 days. Anyway I did watch it on my slow media pc last night ("must" use the big TV )

I think the episode has its moments. Maybe the whole "TJ on a different plane" thing slowed down the pace, on purpose? I don't know. As I have always said, SGU is much more like ST Voyager than anything else, at least in terms of the main plot, and now they have a group of captured "enemies" (from their home galaxy) on their ship while they are short on staff... Deja vu.

Rich, so you watched the end of Atlantis series and "gave up on SG"? That means you only missed SGU season 1. It's ok, you can pick up from season 2, I think. While Atlantis went all over the place and up and down a lot (if SGU was Voy, SGA was DS9 lol), I think SGU seems a lot more planned out. So if continuity is important to you, they might handle that better in this series.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2010-10-05 5:12 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I only watched the first season of SGU, I will wait for season two to be released on netflix. I missed the final season of Stargate Atlantis, as well as the final season of BSG. I had also just moved and cable was low on my priority list. I guess I just don't want to watch them yet...don't want to be disappointed with the shows ending. A lot of times by the end of the last few seasons, I have realized why they needed to be cancelled (Jumping the shark) However, there are other shows that were never given a chance. To name a few...Jeremiah, Jericho (even though it was cancelled twice), Firefly, and TSCC. They replace good writing, story lines, and acting with this reality TV craze...

I just speak as a fan (I have no talent when it comes to making TV or Movies!) However, I do have better ideas than some of these reality shows that are on...
This is just crazy! http://www.realitytvworld.com/realitytvworld/allshows.shtml

Most of the new movies out today are remakes or sequels...A lot of the TV shows on now are spin-offs of each other. If they are not remakes or spin-offs they are reality shows.

Okay, end of rant!

Edited by Yoldering 2010-10-05 5:17 PM
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2010-10-06 6:50 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Well... A while ago I watched Avatar The Last Airbender in theatres. It's more of a fantasy action movie (not sci-fi?), based on an anime. I don't know why there was so much hate for this movie, espescially from fans of the anime TV series (which I never watched), but I fairly enjoyed it.

I also watched Scott Pilgrim VS the World, because of a friend. Again its kinda fantasy + comedy, based on a graphic novel. It was too different from hollywood, and so it did poorly in the box office. But again this was an enjoyable movie. Many little things were funny in a cool way. The main idea is to make the movie play like a video game, which I think worked.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-10-06 10:01 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I recently watched series 2 to the end of Atlantis (I didn't bother with the last 3/4 of series 1). Frankly for the most part I found it uninspired, predictable and badly written.

With SGU we get some character development and continuation, but with Atlantis there was no hit of credibility in the writing and characters were cocooned inside tired, one dimensional stereotypes week in, week out. Every episode they were all destined to repeat the same sequence of failed personality traits and never demonstrate any character or individual growth.

I felt that the series improved a little after Tori Higginson left. I never felt endeared to her character, but frankly because of the above I never really cared for any of them apart from perhaps David Nykl's Radek Zelenka.

As Rich says, the ending was terrible; but I guess that goes hand in hand with the way it was cancelled.

Having watched it I can't say I'm bothered that I stopped watching it within 3 episodes of series 1 airing on terrestrial TV. I can also understand why Channel 5 in the UK never renewed it after series 2.

The writing on SG1 was so much stronger and SGU is in my opinion and for the most part much more mature.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-10-09 3:37 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I thought that the second part of the new SGU series was better. It seems strange that they've not thought to look for a bridge before now though.

The fact that Rush has control of the ship, I'm not sure whether it's too early in the series run for that, they could have gone on for some time without that ability and explored it at a time when the show is more mature.

I guess if they simply turned the ship around now they could pickup their straddlers and the baby (if it's real) from the planet and start back towards Pegasus, exploring the gate network that the ship created on route. They couldn't deviate from that route though, no gates. Unless they can get control over the seeder ships, which would make for a great and very fan orientated story arc.

It's like the unanswered question in SGA, where do the ZPM's come from, here we have where do gates come from and how.

What did others think?
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2010-10-12 4:31 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I don't know about Rush's halucinations... it's too much like the dude on BSG (except he dreams of a much hotter person )

And they shouldn't kill off that guy (forgot his name tho haha). The hosts of InnerSpace (they talk about sci-fi) said that guy was the "new" funny person since Eli has become less comical.

Even if they can control the ship, how long will it take to get back? It took destiny "a long time" to get there right?

Rush won't figure out how to control the ship before someone questions where he's been "working". And that gives Rush another thing to be sneaky about. He will be trying to work there as much as he can while trying to hide it from everyone. And he'll be tempted to get Eli's help without actually telling him the secret. I think that'll be fun to watch

And even when the secret is out, they still won't gain complete control of the ship. I still think the chair is what controls it. The "bridge" is just a secondary control.

BTW are they out of shuttles now?

Edited by takwu 2010-10-12 4:34 AM
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 8