x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Sci-Fi Discussion in TV and Movies

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... Next »
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2010-10-12 1:16 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Last week my daughter didn't want to sleep one night so I was up rocking her. I was browsing through Netflix on my Roku player and came across Joss Whedon's show The Doll House. When this show was on I never even saw it. I remember wanting to but my wife said no! Anyway, I started it and really like it. The character development is really good and the story line keeps expanding. Too bad it was cancelled halfway through the second season.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2010-10-12 4:22 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Is it sci-fi? I only saw some ads of the show and don't even remember what it was about
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2010-10-12 5:15 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yes, in a way. It is about these people who can be reprogrammed with personalities and skills. They live in the "Doll House" and then they are programmed to do various things... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1135300/ My wife did not like the skimpy clothing they wear on the show therefore she didn't want to watch it.

Edited by Yoldering 2010-10-12 5:23 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-10-12 6:05 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yes, I believe that they are out of shuttles. They introduced two, one on the port dock one on the starboard. The first did a one way trip when a % of the crew left to stup a colony and the second got left behind recently. They could turn the ship around and go get it now though; at least once Rush's secret is out.

I haven't seen Dolls house either, in fact I don't thinkit has even aired in the UK. From wikipedia it looks interesting though. Sounds a bit Dark Angel.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2010-11-14 10:08 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I started watching the 2008 BBC show Survivors yesterday...I really like it so far. I realize that it is a remake of the 1975. I like it anyway...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1258189/
 Top of the page
BookWorm Page Icon Posted 2010-11-15 1:52 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

A friend of mine went to college in southern California. He told me about a time when two of his friends were in a parking lot outside a store. Leonard Nemoy came out of the store...and flipped open his cell phone! It really looked like a scene from star trek.

I used to be a scifi fan, but then I grew up. I now consider all fiction a waste of time. History and science are more interesting because the're real, and I can read about them on my real star trek technology!

I guess that's the only reason I ever liked those shows in the first place - the amazing machines you could do anything with. Like Spock's communicator. Or the thin notebooks seen in Star Trek the Next Generation. Nobody ever picked one up off the table because they were just props, and they had no keyboards (maybe the keyboard was a touch screen that could display any alien alphabet? They have those now.), but when the thin notebooks started coming out in the late 90's, they sure looked familiar! Then there's the "data pads" used in Star trek Generations and Star Wars I. Do they use palm OS or Windows CE?

I'm still waiting for a tricorder and a space ship.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2010-11-15 2:36 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Bookworm, the great thing about science fiction is that it has spurned imagination in technology and so many other places. The devices that were in those show back then did not exist...now they do and more will follow.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-11-15 3:11 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Right - it could be said that the only thing that makes it fiction is the date it's written.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2010-11-15 9:06 AM
#
H/PC Elder

So otherwise it would be Sci-Fa? ("Science facts" )

Ok, so bookworm no longer likes fictions... it's a "waste of time" to you hmm... Well first of all I don't think time can ever be "wasted", but that's not important here. Just think of it this way: fiction is entertaining (at least intendedly), whereas facts are almost never entertaining (at least not intended to be). You could also argue that any form of entertainment is a "waste of time", or not. I hope that idea can help you rediscover the value of fiction

More specifically, science fiction entertains by adding theoretical elements - things that might be possible based on our knowledge and understanding. This requires a combination of imagination and reasoning, two abilities of humans that almost seem opposite. Some might even consider the term "science fiction" an oxymoron. Now how about that for being "interesting"
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-11-15 9:09 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Everybody been keeping up with SGU?

Always worth it to see Young beat up Rush

I must admit though, I'm terribly upset. How could they even contemplate killing off Ginn. Julie McNiven

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-11-15 1:12 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

My latest craze on TV is The Walking Dead...cool zombie series. I love it.

Saw Skyline this weekend...it was...okay...until the final scene where they are sucked up into the alien spacecraft...then it got downright stupid and cheesy. Don't waste your money...and don't scroll down if you don't want to know more.

I would have been happy if they would have ended it 3 minutes earlier with the guy and his girl kissing as they were sucked upwards into the craft knowing they were going to die...

First time I can remember in a while where the bad guys won...
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2010-11-15 1:21 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Thanks for ruining the movie Rich!!!

I watched the first episode of The Walking Dead and enjoyed it.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-11-15 2:46 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

That would be a hard movie to ruin Scott...on the other hand, I edited my post for those who will see it...
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2010-11-15 3:00 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I had just talked my wife into seeing it next weekend. Now we will probably go see some chick flick...

Its okay Rich, I forgive you... She would have probably changed her mind anyway. I will wait for video.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-11-15 6:39 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Wait for it at Wal-Mart when it gets into the $5 bargain bin...I should have listened to my wife and taken her to a chick flick, she wanted to see Hereafter or something like that, one of those reaffirmation of life after death heart-throb things.

I'm hoping that I'm correct and there is no life aftert death...this stint of consciousness was enough for me.
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9