x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Setting up H/PC Explorer in Virtual PC

Jens Page Icon Posted 2009-01-02 6:54 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hey folks,
I think I'm close to connecting the old A-11 I bought to my PC.
Here's what I did

- I downloaded Virtual PC 2004 and installed it
- I installed Win95 on the Virtual PC (using 15 install-disks, hehe)
- Connected the A-11 via the Serial-cable to my physical PC

Now the problem is: I can't see any COM Ports in my real PC's hardware list. I tried to add one manually - it got named COM3, but had a yellow exclamation mark warning about a conflict (which I couldn't resolve). Any ideas on where COM1 and COM2 might be hiding?

I suppose this problem is the explanation, why I can't connect with H/PC Explorer in Virtual PC<

EDIT: Problem solved. The Serial Port was disabled in the BIOS. So anyone having this problem, try to take a close look at the BIOS. The first time I looked, I've also overseen it.

Best regards
Jens

Edited by Jens 2009-01-02 7:43 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-01-03 7:09 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

How are you getting on with VPC?

I hope you installed 2004 SP1 (There is also 2007 SP1 btw), the original 2004 is a little clunky.

Also, be sure that you've updated the DUN stack on 95 to 1.4 (see the 95 patch guide in the support section) and installed WinSock 2, otherwise 95 is a little unruly in connecting to things.
 Top of the page
Jens Page Icon Posted 2009-01-03 12:12 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hey C:Amie,
it's working just fine. Already transferred some files between the A-11 and the computer.
As I'm using Windows2k on my host PC, I suppose, I can't install Virtual PC 2007, can I?

What do I need DUN and WinSock 2 for? For somehow connecting the emulated Win95 to my host's internet-connection? That would be cool. Could try installing AOL 3.0 or so then

Best regards
Jens
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-01-03 12:53 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You're correct, there is no support for 2000 SP4 with 2007. Looks like you're stuck with 2004 SP1.

You are using DUN and WinSock to communicate with H/PC Explorer and the H/PC. DUN 1.1+ allows for multiple concurrent connections and WinSock 2 gives it access to the far more resilient windows socket address system for networking in general.

If you install VPC Additions or configure the VM with a virtual NIC (if you don't install VPC additions you won't need the drivers for the vNIC (DEC 21140) but it'll crawl along) you will have access to the internet from Windows 95 (without needing to install AOL) - if you go on the internet with it do be sure to follow the full patching guide though!!

AOL *shudders*
 Top of the page
Jens Page Icon Posted 2009-01-03 2:56 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

C:Amie - 2009-01-03 12:53 PM

You are using DUN and WinSock to communicate with H/PC Explorer and the H/PC. DUN 1.1+ allows for multiple concurrent connections and WinSock 2 gives it access to the far more resilient windows socket address system for networking in general.

What's the advantage there? I mean - I haven't any trouble connecting my HPC.

If you install VPC Additions or configure the VM with a virtual NIC (if you don't install VPC additions you won't need the drivers for the vNIC (DEC 21140) but it'll crawl along) you will have access to the internet from Windows 95 (without needing to install AOL) - if you go on the internet with it do be sure to follow the full patching guide though!!

I know, that AOL isn't needed to establish an internet connection - I'd rather do that for purposes of reviving old memories
But why do I need the named patches? Any security risks using an unpatched Virtual Machine -given, that it only has access to one folder on the host computer?

AOL *shudders*

I'm still envolved in AOL Germany's volunteer program. AOL actually used to be very great, when it comes to Community. Unfortunately these times are over. But I guess that was predetermined, when platforms like facebook, YouTube, etc. were born.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-01-03 3:18 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It's a performance thing, the sock1 and DUN1 subsystems are too clunky, full of bugs and aren't fit for modern networking.

If you put the VPN on the internet it should be fully patched and firewalled. There are performance benefits in patching it, which is especially important in VM environment, especially in kernel enhancements. If it doesn't have any virtual networking enabled then there isn't a problem.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.164 - Cached queries : 46 - Executed queries : 26