x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Cassiopeia E-11 upgrade question etc

accornce Page Icon Posted 2009-01-20 3:06 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi Everyone..
I just ordered a used e-11 on ebay, replacing my old palm.. yeah I know it's old school but I have my reasons.

Anyways I was wondering if it's possible to upgrade to the OS from 2.01 to 2.11? I think the answer is no to that from what little I have found from searching, but just wanted to ask one of you sage experts to be sure.

Secondly I was wondering what my options are for getting it on the internet. I currently connect my handspring visor via a serial cable to my nextel i205 phone.. but haven't found a cable that works.
Any other possibilities?

Thanks for your tips!
 Top of the page
accornce Page Icon Posted 2009-01-20 3:57 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Well I just got an idea for internet access.. I have a cell phone cable with a 9 pin serial connection on one end.. and the e-11 cradle has a 9 pin serial plug as well, so i'm going to try to see if a putting a gender changer between the two will work .. we'll see.
 Top of the page
Half-Saint Page Icon Posted 2009-01-20 5:54 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I'd recommend you replace your phone with something a bit better with IrDA and use that instead of the cable. You can pick up a decent used phone with IrDA, GPRS as well as Bluetooth for under 20 eur. Check out http://www.gsmarena.com/ to help you find a suitable phone model. I'm still using a Nokia 6021 and it suits my needs just fine.

Cheers
SainT
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-01-20 1:51 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I've never seen an upgrade for the E-11 - instead Casio just introduced a new model (E-15) with CE 2.11 for Palm-size PCs. (I have one, but I've never successfully connected to the Web with it.)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-01-20 4:08 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

No upgrade for the E-11 period. I went from that to the E-15 as well, and was able to use a CF modem to make a dialup connection years ago, but talk about slow.........never tried CF wifi.

Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2009-01-20 5:57 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Slow? My Uniden Unipro PC100A had a built-in 33.6kbps modem
 Top of the page
Half-Saint Page Icon Posted 2009-01-21 10:34 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

33.6k is fine for mail, IRC and similar text services.. everything else is just too slow
 Top of the page
accornce Page Icon Posted 2009-01-21 6:15 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hey Everyone - Thanks for the info and tips. The irda phone is a good idea except that my cell phone carrier (boost mobile) doesn't offer any that I know of.

I think i'm stuck the the serial port connection since i'm cheap and don't want to pay much for mobile internet ..

I might have made a mistake in getting the e-11 instead of the e-15. I thought I saw a few posts suggestion it could run 2.11 before I purchased it, and it looks like many apps require 2.11.
There are a few critical apps that are a question mark for me if they can run on the e-11, and if not then I guess I will just resell it and get a e-15.

Anyhow :_).

Top of the page
accornce Page Icon Posted 2009-01-21 6:17 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Oh and boost mobile inet runs at like 9-19k, so slow is no stranger to me. I mostly use it for email but occasionally will read news etc.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-01-21 6:39 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Well, I'd say well more than half of the Palm-size PC apps I've seen will work in CE 2.01 - and I've found more than a few. (I've even managed to get a few CE 2.11 and even a couple of CE 3.0 apps to work in CE 2.01, but they require hexediting.) Also, there's now .NET Compact Framework support for CE 2.01 - see this thread (and the site linked in its first post):

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12404&po...
 Top of the page
accornce Page Icon Posted 2009-01-21 9:11 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks CE Geek - excuse my ignorance - but i'm very new to CE so is there any basic guide to how to "hexedit" an application. I've seen that mention on a few threads in trying to get newer apps to work on older devices but not sure how to do it. Might want to try it.

Edited by accornce 2009-01-21 9:11 PM
 Top of the page
Half-Saint Page Icon Posted 2009-01-22 3:03 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

CE Geek - 2009-01-22 12:39 AM

Well, I'd say well more than half of the Palm-size PC apps I've seen will work in CE 2.01 - and I've found more than a few.

It would be nice, if there was a list of such apps *hint* *hint* *nudge* *nudge*
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.189 - Cached queries : 51 - Executed queries : 27