x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Possible MP880 battery rebuild solution

Half-Saint Page Icon Posted 2009-01-22 5:59 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hey folks,

I recently gave the MobilePro 880 to my sister as a present. Unfortunately the battery pack is pretty much shot and will only let the MP run for about 10 minutes... that ofcourse is unacceptable and as I also don't have the original AC adapter she can't use the MP at all right now.

Anyway, while fiddling with the battery I saw it was 11.1V at 1400 mAh. When my Palm V battery died a user from a different forum suggested I used a Nokia battery. I thought of this tonight as incidentally MP880's battery pack is made up of three 3.7V cells similar to the ones found in Nokia phones. The closest example I could find was BL-5C at 850 mAh which is not exactly 1400mAh but it sure beats a dead battery. Each cell would of course have to be stripped and the prot. circuit removed before installing it into the NEC powerpack. I believe this could be done provided one knows how to determine correct battery polarity and has some soldering skills

Cheers
SainT

Edited by Half-Saint 2009-01-22 6:05 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-01-22 7:01 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Actually...been there, done that. Rebuilt two MP880 batteries. One I made an adapter that uses simple AAA batteries, ends up running the 880 for about an hour and a half with wifi. I had that picture posted for a long time somewhere here.

The other I rebuilt using AAA type Ultrafire lion cells that had a 1500Ah rating when I was done, using the batteries shown below from batteryjunction.com.

First pic is my AAA adapter, and the other shows the actual sales info. The Ultrafiers work much much better than my AAA adapter.

BTW, the 10440 describes the battery size, 10mm in diameter and 44mm in length...the same size as a AAA battery.

(880battery.jpg)

(ultrafire.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 880battery.jpg (35KB - 3 downloads)
Attachments ultrafire.jpg (106KB - 2 downloads)
 Top of the page
Half-Saint Page Icon Posted 2009-01-23 2:32 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

So did you use 3 Ultrafire batteries or did you use 9 connecting them using 3 rows of 3 batteries in parallel? The ones in the image are 500mAh so I reckon you did the latter. I'd be interested to see a guide on how to do this. Can you charge them with NEC original charger with the battery still in?

Edited by Half-Saint 2009-01-23 2:32 AM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-01-23 8:40 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Yep, used a series/parallel configuation on the batteries, work great using the standard a/c adapter for charging...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 45 - Executed queries : 26