x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

nichostetler Page Icon Posted 2009-01-24 3:40 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I have found that my Jornada 820's web browser is very limited like the pictures not loading on half the websites and very choppy websites. Is there any web browser that I can get that will be less limited? If I would install linux or Jlime would that include a more advanced web browser?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-01-24 6:10 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Linux would increase your options. Officially speaking, there isn't an alternative browser for the ARM H/PC Pro device (ie, the 820).
 Top of the page
nichostetler Page Icon Posted 2009-01-24 6:28 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

ok I went here http://jornada820.sourceforge.net/ and got the hpcbootm.exe binary what else to I need to run linux?

Thanks!
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2009-01-25 8:38 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Maybe someday RedGear and Opera will work on Jornada 820; but I wouldn't hold your breath. On 16MB RAM and 256 colors, I doubt it would be very usable.
 Top of the page
grebee Page Icon Posted 2009-01-26 4:03 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I tried asking the RedGear developer if it was in the works for the 820. He also advised not holding your breath because of the limited user base of the 820. I guess the 820 was the only ARM/HPC Pro device. There are more alternatives for SH/MIPS processors. I am still surprised there are still users posting here. I used to love the instant on feature but now my phone can do the same thing. So unless I need the full keyboard the Jornada just gathers dust.
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2009-01-26 8:13 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

grebee - 2009-01-26 1:03 PM

I tried asking the RedGear developer if it was in the works for the 820. He also advised not holding your breath because of the limited user base of the 820. I guess the 820 was the only ARM/HPC Pro device. There are more alternatives for SH/MIPS processors. I am still surprised there are still users posting here. I used to love the instant on feature but now my phone can do the same thing. So unless I need the full keyboard the Jornada just gathers dust.

Actually, isotherm is the Redgear developer.
 Top of the page
nichostetler Page Icon Posted 2009-01-26 9:06 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Well maybe, like some operating systems such as linux, the web browser can run from your CF card.
 Top of the page
grebee Page Icon Posted 2009-01-27 8:52 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

PDXMark - 2009-01-26 8:13 PM

Oops, my bad. I posted and he actually had a name when he responded. I guess I should have known by ALPAXO.

Please, Isotherm, Please??!! I'd even run Opera Mini....

Oh, and "Nic" I don't think that Linux porting project was ever finished. If you ever get something feasible running please post back. THXS.

Edited by grebee 2009-01-27 8:58 AM
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2009-01-27 9:10 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Well, there just aren't that many Jornada 820 users (relatively). It will mainly depend how much extra work it is to make RedGear work on CE 2.11. As I had already mentioned, the Jornada 820 was the only ARM HPC Professional device that I know of.

As for Opera Mini, it is a Java application, so unless RedGear would help a particular JVM run, I'm not sure I can help with that. But since the Jornada 820 has a 640x480 screen, Skyfire could be an interesting option.

I'm not sure what Linux web browser would run well on 16MB of RAM (Dillo maybe). Even a Jornada 720 can be a bit slow with browsing in Linux sometimes.
 Top of the page
grebee Page Icon Posted 2009-01-27 2:30 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Oooo, Skyfire. I've got that running on my Windows Mobile 6 phone. But I still like Opera Mini because it sizes things better on the small screen. I certainly understand and if it happens, it happens. If it don't, it don't. As for speed, I guess I am pretty patient or a packrat. I'm still running a 11 yo PII 266 system with 160 MB RAM with XP (bare minimum requirements).
 Top of the page
nichostetler Page Icon Posted 2009-01-27 4:19 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

grebee - 2009-01-27 8:52 AM

PDXMark - 2009-01-26 8:13 PM

Oops, my bad. I posted and he actually had a name when he responded. I guess I should have known by ALPAXO.

Please, Isotherm, Please??!! I'd even run Opera Mini....

Oh, and "Nic" I don't think that Linux porting project was ever finished. If you ever get something feasible running please post back. THXS.

I actually downloaded Linux Jornada 820 and every time i try to install it it says loader not found I thought this was just a mistake by me, but perhaps its because it wasn't finished. Although I have found on the Jlime site that jlime can be installed on the Jornada 820 here is the link. I am trying to figure out how to install jlime and hope to be using it soon!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-01-27 4:46 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The big hurdle in installing JLime is that you have to format a memory card for Linux before you can copy the files over and run the package on the Jornada.
 Top of the page
nichostetler Page Icon Posted 2009-01-27 5:51 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Isn't Windows CE 2.11 pretty much too old for skyfire, our any web browser, to really think about?

I think, when I get the time and paitence, I will install jlime and then install Konqueror because it looks like it makes the web browser a whole lot better you can see over here

Edited by nichostetler 2009-01-27 5:58 PM
 Top of the page
grebee Page Icon Posted 2009-01-27 6:46 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

nichostetler - 2009-01-27 5:51 PM

Isn't Windows CE 2.11 pretty much too old for skyfire, our any web browser, to really think about?

I think, when I get the time and paitence, I will install jlime and then install Konqueror because it looks like it makes the web browser a whole lot better you can see over here

I'm not a coder and Isotherm, please correct me, but RedGear emulates (right word?) a higher version of WinCE that will run current software. If the processor, RAM, and graphics can handle it, it could run OK but definitely not like current hardware. A tradeoff. Go to the Alpaxo site. Cool stuff.

I think the real problem with the 820 is that the ROM can't be reflashed so the operating system can never be upgraded. Not much forward thinking there or maybe the technology wasn't available at the time. You can create your own custom ROMs for some PDA/PPCs now and upload them to the device.

I know zero about Linux so good luck on the jlime. I know, its all about the challenge!

Edited by grebee 2009-01-27 6:48 PM
 Top of the page
nichostetler Page Icon Posted 2009-01-28 4:56 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

grebee - 2009-01-27 6:46 PM

nichostetler - 2009-01-27 5:51 PM

I'm not a coder and Isotherm, please correct me, but RedGear emulates (right word?) a higher version of WinCE that will run current software. If the processor, RAM, and graphics can handle it, it could run OK but definitely not like current hardware. A tradeoff. Go to the Alpaxo site. Cool stuff.

I think the real problem with the 820 is that the ROM can't be reflashed so the operating system can never be upgraded. Not much forward thinking there or maybe the technology wasn't available at the time. You can create your own custom ROMs for some PDA/PPCs now and upload them to the device.

I know zero about Linux so good luck on the jlime. I know, its all about the challenge!

So are you saying that there is a possibilty that we could run RedGear on the Jornada 820? It does work on the 710/720/728 hummm
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.235 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11