x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Can´t access CF card on desktop

pater.rivero Page Icon Posted 2009-02-03 8:59 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi, im looking for a tip

1)i use a 4gb Transcend in my 720 without problems
2)bought a usb cf cardreader ( D-concepts )

PROBLEM

3)XP recognizes de card in the bios but there´s no icon for accessing it as other normal pendrives
4)i ve tried reinstalling the usb drivers but´s always the same.

Any help would be appreciated
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-02-03 10:20 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

What do you mean XP recognizes the card in bios?

If you click on "my computer" on your XP machine, the CF card doesn't show up at all, as a hard drive or anything?

If it does...try formatting it on your XP machine usaing FAT and then see if it shows up.

But if the card doesn't show up at all, then try it on someone elses computer...I'm betting that there is something amiss with the cardreader you have and the driver software.
 Top of the page
pater.rivero Page Icon Posted 2009-02-03 4:31 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

thanks for the response Rich,

1)i ve tried it on serveral Pc´s (3) and ´s always the same each time.
2) 4 Bios i mean the hardware list of the pc that is recognized by de xp; the installed hardware list (ex:hard drives,usb,monitor,printers,etc).right? The card appears here quite normaly. The only thing unssual would be that
when asked to fill the card details it fails, but all in the harware list; i hope my explanation is enough clear.
3)the card reader is plug&play and it does nothing if it has no card inserted.
4)the card is reconized as Transcend D, as any pendrive would normaly appear in that list.That´s inmediate, no delay to appear in that list

5)but...it doesn´t appear at all on " my computer"....that´s why i can´t format it.(as a drive i mean)

6)i suspect of the card been formated in a way xp "doesn´t like" but work with the 720 normaly, i don´t know.But before reformating the card i would like to try other solutions, since im not sure that process will ensure the XP to work with the card

any other sugestion would be appreciated, thanks
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-02-03 5:32 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Can you access the card from the Command Prompt in XP? (Can't see how you could reformat it otherwise - except maybe via low-level formatting; eg, in a digital camera with a CF slot.)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-02-03 5:34 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I assume then that when you say XP recognizes it in the bios that you mean the CF adapter shows up in the device manager. But that is not the CF card, only the adapter.

Plug the card into the adapter after the computer boots up and click on the control panel. Select "administrative tools." Then select "computer management." Finally, under storage, select "disk management." Ideally you will see "Disk #" and then then "removeable *" where the asterisk is the drive letter. It should also tell you the format method of the CF card and that it is healthy or not.

If you don't see those, then something is amiss.

BTW, have you tried any other CF cards with your adapter?

Finally, anyone else have any ideas? I'm just a rookie with these things...jump in here if you have any ideas.
 Top of the page
pater.rivero Page Icon Posted 2009-02-03 6:51 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

thanks 4 the help

1)i think that the divice manager recognizes the card and not just the adapter, cause the adapter itself (without the card) isn´t recognized at all if inserted.
2)the card appeard normaly in the divece manager except 4 what i said before, that´s unable to show it´s details when asked
3)i can´t access the card by the dos prompt, the drive letter doesn´t exist
4)this card is the only one i actualy have
5)the card works perfect in my 720 as it is

5)Can i reformat the card with my 720? Which program do i need to do that?

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-02-04 8:13 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

There is a program called "flash format" found here: http://www.cnetx.com/format/ that can check out your card using the 720...
 Top of the page
grebee Page Icon Posted 2009-02-04 10:47 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

First, is the reader a multifunctional one or dedicated CF? If multifunctional, be sure the CF card is in the right slot and engaged well. All readers that I have ever used stay connected and show up as a removeable drive even if card is not loaded. Drivers actually came with it? Usually they are plug n play. Try removing the reader when you can see it in device manager. Then just plug it in and let Windows install a driver (plug n play). Sometimes the drivers that come with a device don't work all that well and generic ones work better.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2009-02-04 11:06 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Maybe the reader is corrupted? pater.rivero, try this CF in other card readers.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-02-05 7:50 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You shouldn't need drivers for a card reader under XP, if you have installed any, I suggest removing them completely and let Windows handle it.

Once you have it connected and the card is in it properly, start > run > diskmgmt.msc

Look down the drives listed for a 4GB FAT storage card with no assigned drive letter. If it is there, right click, change drive letters and path > add
 Top of the page
pater.rivero Page Icon Posted 2009-02-05 10:38 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

thanks 4 helping...that was something new!...but still the same...

1)As i said before the card is listed normaly in the device manager
2)It doesn´t appear in disk manager list at all.
3)I haven´t install any other drivers for the card reader.
4)again,the card works perfectly in the jornada

5)i don´t know...but couldn´t it be a incopatibility problem betwen the way the j720 usses the card and xp? in the format i mean.I didn´t format the card, the guy that sell it 2 me did.
6)Maybe it´s the card reader...but i can´t be sure till i get another card.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2009-02-05 10:50 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

What about formatting there should be no problems with it. CE has smaller support for different devices/formats, XP can't be worse than CE from that point of view.
 Top of the page
pater.rivero Page Icon Posted 2009-02-05 2:48 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

well, i formated the card with the cnetx soft....but all the same...no drive letter anywhere, just in the device manager...

any other ideas r welcome
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-02-06 5:16 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

No, it's your card reader.

Either you aren't putting the card into the reader properly, or the reader/cable/USB Port is malfunctioning.

If the driver were connecting properly the storage volume would be up in disk manager.
 Top of the page
pater.rivero Page Icon Posted 2009-02-06 6:13 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

thanks, i guess u r right...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.242 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10