x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Looking for Siemens Simpad SL4 users

esebastian Page Icon Posted 2005-05-29 8:23 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I recently picked up a Siemens Simpad SL4 on ebay and am looking for others using the device to share info. I've done some web searches, but not come up with much information about the unit.

I'm primarily using it as an ebook reader, but have been able to install a couple of apps that worked without problem or by using the fake dll method.

I'm using;
ubook - ebook reader
Pocket conquest - risk line game
Resco photo viewer - image viewer
Acrobat reader - pdf viewer

I'm looking for a task manager as there are some apps which start ok, but I can't close without reseting the device.

Thanks.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-05-29 9:12 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Those are pretty cool. C:Amie did a review on them, and I know there are a few people who have them. Check out C:Amie's thread. You may need that upgrade.
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=441&post...

Edited by Yoldering 2005-05-29 9:22 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 8:03 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I've never even seen one in the flesh let alone reviewed one

Some of the old site team did have some SL4's at one time, but they went walk-about alas (not by the HPC:Factor team).
I know that cmonex has a friend with a SL4.

Which OS version are you using with yours esebastian? I'm going to assume HPC2000 as this is the HPC2000 board

As for your task manager problem, this is a good one:
http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/ishi/wince/itaskmgr/index.html
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 9:23 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

esebastian - 2005-05-30 2:23 AM

I recently picked up a Siemens Simpad SL4 on ebay and am looking for others using the device to share info. I've done some web searches, but not come up with much information about the unit.

I'm looking for a task manager as there are some apps which start ok, but I can't close without reseting the device.

Thanks.

hello, i hope i can help you
just ask what you'd like to know, and i'll ask my friend who has a SL4 too. knows about everything there's to it.

how do you mean you can't close apps? why? are they ppc apps?
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 12:13 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Sorry C:amie, I thought you had, my mistake.
 Top of the page
esebastian Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 6:07 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for all the quick responses.

C:Amie, thanks for the link to the task manager, exactly what I was looking for.

As for the version, I guess I'm a little confused. The documentation which came with the device listed it as Windows CE 3.0 for Handheld PC 2000. When I go to system properties, it shows as MS Windows CE .NET version 4.10 (build 908). I was looking on the site page which listed all the devices by windows CE version and it shows Simens SL4 Simpad under Windows CE 3.00 (Handheld PC 2000) and Windows CE 4.00 (Handheld PC 5.0) but not Windows CE 4.10 (Handheld PC 5.1). Unless of course I actually have a Siemens SLC Simpad which is listed under Windows CE 4.10 (Handheld PC 5.1).

Cmonex, yes the apps I was looking to use the task manager on are ppc apps. I've read that some will run with a couple of work arounds. I think my biggest question/issue correctly is getting connected to activesync. When I try to connect via usb, I get an unrecognized device error. I bought the simpad on ebay and it did not come with a serial cable to try that.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 6:39 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well the SL4 can have ce.net 4.1 and that's the latest OS from siemens (not counting the 4.2 version that you have to send your device in for...), so you can consider yourself lucky unless you need hpc2000 explicitly (for example some important program that won't run on 4.1). you can reflash the device to hpc2000 easily in that case.
how to decide if you have a real SL4 (best machine of all simpads/sinus/etc)? if you have 64 MB ram then it's likely to be an SL4.
about ppc apps: you can try the Esc key (if you can access it - can't remember now) for going back from the menu. if that's the problem...? (one of my friends had it until i told him to use Esc... ) i'm asking this because i've never had to soft reset because of this and anyone here in the forum can tell that i'm using quite some ppc apps...
i don't know if this AS error is specific to the simpad, i'll ask my friend.

Edited by cmonex 2005-05-30 6:43 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 8:02 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Head into the thread Yoldering specified above, and go to mullegners site. In the FAQ or support section there is a download for USB drivers. No promises, but have a go with them.

Yes indeed the SL4 should be in the 4.1 section. I have the 3.0 & 4.1 ROM for it here myself. It's the SL$ which should be in 4.0. I'll fix it tomorrow.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 8:19 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i've asked my friend, and yeah i remembered right... you can just hit Esc or Enter. no soft reset or task managing needed (if i understand the problem correctly)

about usb, it's a typical problem with simpads, that after suspend it can't connect via usb. a soft reset should solve that.... but you've never managed to connect to the PC, have you? then you really should install the usb drivers for the simpad if you haven't done it yet. http://simpad.silentservices.de/sl4-usb.zip

Edited by cmonex 2005-05-30 8:20 PM
 Top of the page
esebastian Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 9:01 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I was able to successfully establish a partnership via activesync!!!

I think the big hurdle was the suspend problem. If I connect the simpad via usb without a reset, I get the unrecognized device error. After reseting the simpad and connecting, no problem. So it looks like a reset before every sync which is no big thing. I mainly using it as a ebook reader.

I also checked the memory and it is 64mb.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 9:38 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

OK, i'm glad you sorted it out
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-31 1:24 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

SL4 entries in the Hardware list updated. I added the 4.2 version as well.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 9