x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

eVT3 and eVT4

1 2
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2009-02-09 7:17 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hi -
Is it possible to have both eVT3 and eVT4 installed on the same machine? I'm OK with having the file associations confused, but wonder if eVT4 will modify the PATH so that eVT3 can no longer find its files. I have an app that I compile for HPC2000 with eVT3, but I have some requests to add WM5 features (specifically, "soft keys" for Smartphones).

Also, the link for eVT4 on the Developer's Downloads page,
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1DACDB3D-5...
doesn't work for me this morning. I think MS has stopped offering it (though SP4 is still available from MS); could HPC please host eVT4?

Thanks.
-Geoffrey
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2009-02-09 8:45 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I have had eVT3 and eVT4 installed on the same machine. I don't recall any problems. However, it isn't really necessary to have both installed; I only have eVT4 installed now. So long as you only use CE 3.0 function calls, eVT4 can generate HPC compatible files just fine. It is only necessary to change the /subsystem compiler switch to /subsystem=windowsce,3.00 (or whichever version) instead of /subsystem=windowsce,UNDER_CE. For more details, refer to the heading "Using eVC 4 to Build for Windows CE 3.0" in the Microsoft document Migrating to the eVC 4.0 Environment.

The quickest way to change the compiler switch is to create the workspace and projects as you like, and then open the project file(s) in a text editor and use search and replace to change the /subsystem flag appropriately.

Edited by isotherm 2009-02-09 8:47 AM
 Top of the page
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2009-02-09 12:18 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Thanks for the tips!
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2009-02-09 1:30 PM
#
H/PC Elite

One additional thought I had, since I see you're nPOPuk developer: be sure to link against winsock.lib rather than ws2.lib (which was not introduced completely until CE 4.2).

The next version of RedGear will be compiled with eVC 4.0. The compiler is much improved over the one in eVC 3.0, and it still supports all of the necessary processors.
 Top of the page
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2009-02-09 9:00 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

winsock.lib is in my project file (.vcp)

BTW: the Migrating link you sent says I can't use the .vcp from eVC3 in eVC4 -- however, when I'm looking at the folder on my XP machine, the "Type" column says "eVC 3/4 Project" Is there any hope?

Lastly: Any tips on where to find eVT4? I just checked, and apparently I didn't download a copy back when it was available.
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2009-02-09 10:33 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

You can at least get eVC 4.0 here. It seems the original public microsoft links to eVT/eVC no longer exist.
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2009-02-10 12:30 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I have the eVC4 setup files and the service pack locally, but it's great that we can get them from ZDNet while it lasts. It would be great for HPC:Factor to host them like it does for eVC3... Planned obsolescence is taking over, again.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-02-10 8:37 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I'd love to host it, but based upon the greater volume of traffic that we receive for evc4 hits compared to the already hosted evt3, combined with the fact that between bad download managers, hotlinkers and leechers the bandwidth requirement alone for evt3 is well into the terabytes, please understand why I'm reluctant to pay for hosting it

Money makes the world go round
 Top of the page
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2009-02-19 8:59 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

mscdex - thanks for that link; downloading now.

C:Amie - understood, but ... hmm. I used to go to HPC:Factor with all my HPC needs. I admit I've never looked into the issues, but I guess I'm surprised that so many people are downloading evt3, so many years after it went out. Can you do a captcha or require a login to get to some of the bigger downloads like these?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-02-20 5:45 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yes, but I would have to rearrange the file system on the download server to break all the hotlinkers links. An amazingly time consuming process simply due to the size of the site; and time is not on my side.

Edit: So far this month there have been 4,807 downloads of a 304MB file. Some of those will be bad or resuming download managers, however it on its own is responsible for over 17% of this months bandwidth: and that is a lot of bandwidth.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-02-20 3:02 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Wow, I didn't realize that many people are using eVT 3.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-02-28 12:22 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

For anyone who had a mild interest in this topic, Microsoft have reinstated the eVC 4 download here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&Fami...

You still need to install the SP's etc from http://www.hpcfactor.com/developer

For some reason this 2009 posting of it is over 100 MB Smaller than the original one that I have here. I am currently downloading it to see if I can find out why it is so.
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2009-02-28 12:46 PM
#
H/PC Elite

My guess is that they removed one of the SDK's - probably the CE 4.0 one.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-02-28 12:54 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Wrong, see here for the explanation
http://www.hpcfactor.com/news/?iid=743
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2009-02-28 1:04 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Ah... heh. Well, the eVT4 SP4 download is also still available from Microsoft, for now. So this should be fine.

Maybe they were trying to turn a better profit by cutting bandwidth.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9