x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

migrate or switch to Linux

1 2
fquezada Page Icon Posted 2009-02-12 12:41 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

HITACHI I HPW-200JC Windows CE desire to migrate or switch to Linux,
What is the appropriate distribution for HITACHI HPW-200JC? ¿How low? How do I install?

..................................................................................

Equipment and functional specifications HPW-200JC

* CPU

Hitachi SuperH SH-3 (100MHz) RISC processor

* OS

Microsoft(R) Windows(R) CE 2.0 Japanese-language Version

* Office

Microsoft(R) Pocket Word, Microsoft(R) Pocket Excel, Microsoft(R) Pocket PowerPointR

* PIM

Microsoft(R) Pocket Outlook (Inbox, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks )

* Communications

Microsoft(R) Pocket Internet Explorer, ActiveSync?, Windows(R) CE Services

Terminal, Remote Networking

* Accessories

World Clock, Calculator, Microsoft(R) Voice Recorder

* Game

Solitaire

* Bonus software bundled

Communications: NIFTY Tsushin for Windows(R) CE, 10-Yen Mail Master for CE Version, Flashnavi for Windows(R) CE, MojiMail EX for CE, Shinnosuke for CE
PIM: Tegaki Memo, Jiten (English-Japanese/Japanese-English/Japanese Language), Piemento , Epical Version1.5,Epils Version 1.5 with SuperEditorCE, Screen Capture, File View, Mapfan III CE for Windows(R) 95/CE preview version, Ekiraku Gokuraku Tokyo Chikatetsu Version for Windows(R) CE, Digital Jikokuhyo & Keiro Kensaku Soft Haipa-Daiya for Windows(R) CE (a plan), Norikae Annai Jikokuhyo Taio Version for Windows(R) CE, EASY LINK for H/PC
Games: Word Match, SLOT!

* Display

8.1-inch color STN liquid crystal
640x240 dots 256 colors

* Memory (RAM)

16MB (expandable to 48MB)

* Built-in fax-modem

Data: 33.6kbps Fax: 14.4kbps

* PDC/PHS (PIAFS) interface

PDC: 9.6kbps, PHS (PIAFS): 32kbps

* External I/O

Serial port (RS-232C w/VGA output capability)
IrDA
One PC Card slot (Type-II)
One CompactFlash? slot
One microphone
One speaker
One RAM expansion connector

* Power supply

Rechargeable lithium ion battery, AC adapter (Input:100-240W)

* Keyboard

79-key full keyboard (16.5mm key pitch, 2.5mm key stroke)

* Dimensions

253mm (W) x 131mm (D) x 32mm (H)

* Weight

Approx. 820g (including lithium ion battery)

..................................................................................................

As you can see their language and desire to put Japan and the Spanish language, or failing in ENGLISH, but the Japanese do not understand, the less I understand it,

Now if I change to the WINDOWS 2.0 ENGLISH JAPANESE also would be valid,,, thank you very much,,, but if I am very interested in the Linux

Thanks........

Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2009-02-12 4:29 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

You could probably install netbsd (netbsd/hpcsh3) onto a compact flash card. I don't know of any linux distributions for CE 2.x devices that still exist or are still updated.

I've installed netbsd on my mobilepro 780 just fine, and was able to run dillo and other programs just fine. I will say that X takes awhile to load though and you have to reboot netbsd after exiting X in order to get the keyboard working properly (after exit, any keys you type output gibberish). I'm not sure if that problem is device-specific or netbsd/hpc* specific, but I'm thinking the latter.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-02-12 6:12 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

mscdex - 2009-02-12 1:29 PM

You could probably install netbsd (netbsd/hpcsh3) onto a compact flash card. I don't know of any linux distributions for CE 2.x devices that still exist or are still updated.

You mean other than JLime, or is that also being abandoned?
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2009-02-13 2:08 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

CE Geek - 2009-02-12 6:12 PM

mscdex - 2009-02-12 1:29 PM

Yes, other than JLime. I had the mobilepro in mind at the time and didn't think of the Jornada.

Edited by mscdex 2009-02-13 2:09 AM
 Top of the page
nichostetler Page Icon Posted 2009-02-13 4:07 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Is there really any difference between Jlime and NetBSD?
 Top of the page
rafa Page Icon Posted 2009-03-15 11:00 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

mscdex - 2009-02-13 2:08 AM

CE Geek - 2009-02-12 6:12 PM

Yes, other than JLime. I had the mobilepro in mind at the time and didn't think of the Jornada.

Jlime is not being abandoned. For sh3 there are several new userlands and always there is new work in kernel side.

fquezada : Check www.jlime.com for details
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-03-15 3:22 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I figured the JLime project is still active, but is there a way to format a CF card for Linux without having to boot the PC itself into Linux? (That's been the holdup for me - my 620LX is still sitting and waiting for me to run JLime on it. )
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-03-15 3:51 PM
#
H/PC Elder

just grab a puppy linux live cd. then at least all you need to do is boot from CD and create partitions and format your CF.
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2009-03-15 4:26 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

mr-mac - 2009-03-15 3:51 PM

just grab a puppy linux live cd. then at least all you need to do is boot from CD and create partitions and format your CF.

You could take it a step further and run the live cd within Virtualbox ;-)
 Top of the page
rafa Page Icon Posted 2009-03-25 2:29 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

CE Geek - 2009-03-15 3:22 PM

I figured the JLime project is still active, but is there a way to format a CF card for Linux without having to boot the PC itself into Linux? (That's been the holdup for me - my 620LX is still sitting and waiting for me to run JLime on it. )

You can use some Linux live-cd like puppy or knoppix.

For hp 620lx you should use this :
http://fz.hobby-site.org/hp660lx/jlime-stable/
jlime version, or this:
http://fz.hobby-site.org/hp660lx/jlime-winter/

Regards
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-03-25 9:35 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'm already aware of those pages - they've been bookmarked on my PC for some time. The holdup for me is formatting the CF card into Linux partitions without having to boot Linux on the PC. There was supposed to be an ActiveSync JLime installer in the works - what happened to that?
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2009-03-26 5:48 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
CE Geek--I just started playing around with Linux (Puppy, this past summer on my eee900), and you're one of the finest fellows here. I've gotten RTFM's Linux distros to run on my J-720, and If you'd like, send me a couple of CD cards (256-500mb) and I'll install the OSs you want. Then you can play with them w/o the hassle of partitioning, etc. I'm an American in Chile, so I have an APO address--domestic postage to Florida, the military takes care of the rest.

Best,
Jake
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-03-26 12:56 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Thanx for the offer, Jake - though I wouldn't say I'm one of the finest. I don't even meet the qualifications for novice when it comes to Linux, but I'd like to try it on a mobile device without having to pay an arm and a leg for one of those cooler Sharp Zauri. As noted above, I'm interested in running JLime on one of my 620LXs. I can send you a 256 MB CF card; PM me with the APO address to send it to.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2009-03-26 1:38 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Hi, CE Geek--

I've be happy to hook that up for you, but the rub is, I don't have 620LX, so can only partition and copy the files, but can not test.

Oh, dear,
Jake
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-03-26 3:03 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That's cool - I only want the disk partition done anyway. I planned to do the rest.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.220 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11