x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

SH3 programs that work on an SH4 device

CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-02-14 4:11 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Having recently picked up a Compaq Aero 8000 just to experience an SH4 device, I've searched for every program I can find that has an SH4 version. Not a huge number, though there are some nice ones, like the SH4-only Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0 for Windows CE (the only Adobe Reader ever released for H/PC Pro). Having searched through the forums, though, I learned that there are some SH3 programs that will work with an SH4 device. Again, not many, but some. So I thought it would be a good idea for those of us with SH4 devices to put together a list of SH3 programs that are confirmed to work on our SH4 devices.

One point, though: PocketC and .vb apps don't count, since they are not processor-specific but rather rely on processor-specific runtime libraries. (A handful of .vb apps written originally for Pocket PCs do work, however, using the SH4 VB runtime files. )

A few programs were written as unibuilds, like the SystemPath Control Panel applet. (Even though the CPU identifier in systempath.cpl is A2 01, which stands for SH3 - as opposed to A6 01, which is SH4 - it will also work in SH4 devices.) So far, however, nearly all the SH3 programs I've found to work were written for CE 1.0:

Surerange Pocket Timer
Queen Image's QI Timer
Applian Blox
MGNotes
ArCEnoid
Xoanan Chat
Mark Gamber's YachtCE 1.1

Anyone here have any others (particularly newer ones) to add?
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2009-02-14 9:58 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Thanks for this list. I'm hoping one of them has source code, so that I can remember how to make my own software as "unibuilds".
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-02-15 4:11 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Oh, I forgot to include another Xoanan program: Sabotage.

A couple more CE 1 programs as well: Jimmy QuickMenu and Surerange FreeMem.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-02-16 4:14 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

It appears that SH4 compatibility with SH3 CE 1 programs includes those that require the SH3 version of mfcwce.dll. Examples: MukaMuka (a cute little game) and Piano.

A couple of others that work: CalendarSearch and PenScript (an inkwriter app - probably more useful on the Hitachi ePlate than on the Aero 8000, which has no touchscreen).
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 9