x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

7" Mini Note with CE5.0

1 2
RJ99 Page Icon Posted 2009-02-15 6:32 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Just spotted this ... seems to offer the 'easy net functionality' of a modern 'Netbook' but with the instant-on & portability of CE; & at a low cost, £150, about $350. But in the UK it's mainly being sold through a non mainstream outlet (a household DIY store) so I wouldn't hold my breath for technical support.

I'm tempted to get one ... but there's an ambiguity in the spec. It states "Windows CE 5.0 with Word, Excel, Powerpoint viewer and PDF viewer". I'd like to assume the first 'viewer' mention applies just to PowerPoint - so it will be possible to edit the Word & Excel files.

I'll ask the vendor & if the answer is 'yes' I'll get one & share my experience here in due course.

Top of the page Quote Reply
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2009-02-15 1:28 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

What's it's name? Any specs or official website?
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2009-02-15 2:05 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

RJ99 - 2009-02-15 7:32 AM

Just spotted this ... seems to offer the 'easy net functionality' of a modern 'Netbook' but with the instant-on & portability of CE; & at a low cost, £150, about $350. But in the UK it's mainly being sold through a non mainstream outlet (a household DIY store) so I wouldn't hold my breath for technical support.

I'm tempted to get one ... but there's an ambiguity in the spec. It states "Windows CE 5.0 with Word, Excel, Powerpoint viewer and PDF viewer". I'd like to assume the first 'viewer' mention applies just to PowerPoint - so it will be possible to edit the Word & Excel files.

I'll ask the vendor & if the answer is 'yes' I'll get one & share my experience here in due course.

I believe that they are all just viewers. I just checked on my Viewsonic V212 with CE5.0 and that was the case.

Regards, Don
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-02-15 4:24 PM
#
H/PC Elder

this not the cuol book or a version of it that is being sold in robert dyas? been covered a while back in another post.

John
RJ99 Page Icon Posted 2009-02-15 5:14 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Sorry, I forgot to paste in the URL. They are branding it as 'INKIA':

http://www.thereallyusefulstore.co.uk/product.php?product_id=146034...
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-02-16 11:54 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Same as the Cuol Book (but was £10 more expensive now it's £10 cheaper).

See cuol book posts in general section.

the really usefull store is same as robert dyas.

John

PS there is a 2nd hand cuol book on ebay £70 or £100 buy it now.

Edited by mr-mac 2009-02-16 11:57 AM
RJ99 Page Icon Posted 2009-02-19 5:18 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thanks all for the replies... anyway I've written to the vendor's 'technical help' posing the queston about 'View of Write' & will await the reply, not with bated breath though ...
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-02-20 4:19 AM
#
H/PC Elder

IIRC and from description the Inkia is just viewers.

The Cuol book (still available at robert dyas) is £159 and from what I can see it comes with Softmaker software in rom (excel and word equivilents). There was also one on the bay at £70 start and £100 buy it now.

Not sure how good these devices are. there is no controller apart from mouse or arrow keys which is a pain, also I don't know if they are instant on/off.

been waiting for ages to see a vid of one in use turn up somewhere but nothing yet.

john
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-02-20 4:38 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Pretty nice price, though, especially with SoftMaker Office included in ROM.
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-02-26 4:05 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I see there is someone in ireland with 10 x JL7200's listed.

IIRC They are 160euro but come with softmaker office 2008 on a memory card.
nhbbobb Page Icon Posted 2009-03-07 2:10 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

oh.such these really cool mini note all from Shenzhen,China.
after copy mobile phone,China now start to copying the note book.
about 220 usd. you will get one new laptop.
such aboved ,only take 140 usd.

mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-03-09 2:44 PM
#
H/PC Elder

nhbbobb - 2009-03-07 7:10 PM

You would think so.... These netbooks are supposed to cost about $100 or so for a company to buy and I havn't seen a single one yet that comes close to reflecting that value.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-03-09 8:53 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

mr-mac - 2009-03-09 8:44 PM

nhbbobb - 2009-03-07 7:10 PM

You would think so.... These netbooks are supposed to cost about $100 or so for a company to buy and I havn't seen a single one yet that comes close to reflecting that value.

a friend visited shenzhen last year and got one for 126usd... that cool black one, with ARM926. looks like a razorbook but no brand on it. he then got bored with it and sold it recently but i missed the sale =(
suzybt
suzybt Page Icon Posted 2009-03-20 3:57 PM
#
Just got one of these Inkia mini notes from Robert Dyas today.

Thought it a lovely dinky little thing to throw in my suitcase for emailing whilst away. Eh no!! It found my home hub automatically, says connected, signal strength excellent thought great.

Opened IE and it cannot display the page, I have tried everything I can think of to no avail.

The user manual is basic to say the least - connect to internet and surf is about what it says.

Thought I'd try the Inkia helpline, they were even more useless than the manual. Guy says it should do it automatically, I say yep this is the problem. Guy says switch it off and switch it back on again - like duh, haven't tried that umpteen times. Guy says I dunno then, take it back to the shop and get your money back.

Excellent customer service. Wanted the blessed thing to take with me tomorrow.

Sorry for the rant, but after several hours scouring the net for help, including paying some equally useless justanswer.com £12, I'm ready to tear my hair out.

So unless you are a techy do not touch this thing with a bargepole cause there is NO HELP!!!
RJ99 Page Icon Posted 2009-03-27 10:38 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

SuzyBT.

Ouch, hurts me nearly as much as it must you ... & 'there but for fortune ....' - I came close, I popped into a Robert Dyas a few days after my first post & they were out of stock - telling me their total consignment to the Uk was 2,000 units and had all sold out in 3 days'.

if they had one I'd have bought it. Lesson learned; if & when I get a NB it'll be an established brand with good chance of support.
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 34