x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Any Objective C compilers that would work on a Jornada 7298somehow?

vintagehandhelds Page Icon Posted 2009-02-15 12:03 PM
#
Avatar image of vintagehandhelds
H/PC Philosopher

I have C++ and Matlab ofr Dos running well under pocketdos. But I want to program in more moden languages, specifically ObjectiveC.
I know there is a linux compiler for that. But is there a DOS version, or some way of firing linux up on the Jornada from an executable file? I used to have linux for DOS a long time ago, relaly tiny and you would launch it from DOS. But launching pockedos, then linux, then the compiler might result in slow performance.
Any ideas?
 Top of the page
vintagehandhelds Page Icon Posted 2009-02-15 12:12 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I found a DOS based one here...but it says 386 or higehr, not sure if PocketDos emulates that:
http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-02-15 3:41 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

There is a 386 plugin for PocketDOS, IIRC.
 Top of the page
vintagehandhelds Page Icon Posted 2009-02-16 2:40 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

thanks, but I just realized the compiler I was looking was only for C and C++. So now I have to figure out how to put Linux on the Jornada 728. I just got a PCMCIA 2GBB HDD, do you think I should make a linux partition on that and run it that way? I don't want linux to replace CE, so ideally there would be an executable file that launches the Linux environment or some command prompt version.
So, which Linux for CE should I get???

thanks
 Top of the page
vintagehandhelds Page Icon Posted 2009-02-16 2:42 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

erm I forgot to mention I didn't mucgh like the JLime when I was running it on the Jornada 680. Too big of a hassle. But now I'm not really interested in the wifi card working either, not that I could use it with the PCMCIA slot occupied by the HDD.
 Top of the page
Kdx1999 Page Icon Posted 2009-09-02 7:03 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

vintagehandhelds - 2009-02-16 12:03 AM

I have C++ and Matlab ofr Dos running well under pocketdos. But I want to program in more moden languages, specifically ObjectiveC.
I know there is a linux compiler for that. But is there a DOS version, or some way of firing linux up on the Jornada from an executable file? I used to have linux for DOS a long time ago, relaly tiny and you would launch it from DOS. But launching pockedos, then linux, then the compiler might result in slow performance.
Any ideas?

I 'm still working on establishing C++ compiler under pocketdos without success. Would you mind tell me which compiler do you use and how to configure it? It look as if djgpp doesn't work because "long name" constraint in dos,and pgcc can't be utilize as well for the sake of pocketcmd doesn't support wm5.0 or higer OS. Although Turbo C++ 1.01 compiler can be deployed, it doesn't comply with ISO standard. Thank you!
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2009-09-02 10:16 AM
#
H/PC Elite

What hassle didn't you like about JLime? It's probably the easiest *nix to load onto these devices. Other options are 720degrees (Debian-based, if you can find the userland) or NetBSD. But Debian especially is a bit bloated when not tailored for a handheld.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 44 - Executed queries : 30