x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

USING COMPACT FLASH CARD TO STORE PROGRAMS

jab Page Icon Posted 2009-02-27 8:33 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Is it possible on a wince 2.11 handheld to store applications on the compact flash card
so in the event of a hard reset or total battery failure including the backup battery the application does not need to be reloaded via activesync
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2009-02-27 9:00 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

It is possible. But you can get some problems if an app didn't complete last operation before suspending he device - app may crash.
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2009-02-27 10:17 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

jab - 2009-02-27 8:33 AM

Is it possible on a wince 2.11 handheld to store applications on the compact flash card
so in the event of a hard reset or total battery failure including the backup battery the application does not need to be reloaded via activesync

Sure is. The card just has to be large enough.

The CABs may erase themselves after executing, so I basically copy them to the card (for storage), make a new copy in a different folder (either on the card or onboard the device), and execute the 2nd file.

HTH
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-02-27 3:16 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The only issues you may run into are when something was placed in RAM during installation, such as a DLL file placed in \Windows or a registry key that happens to be required for the program to execute. Both are relatively rare since most installers place any DLL files in the same folder with the application, and few programs actually require registry entries to work. (Some of the keys are re-entered automatically the first time you run the program anyway.)

Similar to this, if the program requires a runtime, such as eMbedded Visual Basic, PocketC, or .NET Compact Framework, the runtime files will need to be re-installed if they're not in ROM. (Of these, the eVB files are the only ones placed in ROM on any CE 2.11 devices, and even that varies from one device manufacturer to another.)

You can prevent a CAB file from erasing itself after installation by pointing to a CAB file, selecting File -> Properties, and checking the box marked 'Read-Only.'

Have I succeeded in confusing you further?
 Top of the page
jab Page Icon Posted 2009-03-02 8:02 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Thanks everyone so far I think you are right the installation /cab file erases itsself even when I tell it to install on the CF
Next I will load the cab file only as you suggest and mark read only.For anyone interested this issue comes about when using my DIY main battery which is
non intelligent and a failed backup battery
 Top of the page
13tzameti
13tzameti Page Icon Posted 2009-04-13 7:42 AM
#
i dont know very well but i hear about program called

system path

i have but i dont tray yet work with dll and yyou can put them in other places repit i dont tray yet, but must be do something like you want to do http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/images/emoticons/icon_smile_blushin...
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2009-04-13 8:56 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

It enables OS searching for dll&exe in any place.
I've set SD card for that long time ago. That's why there's only 1750 kB of RAM occupied on my Sig.
 Top of the page
rumen_s Page Icon Posted 2009-04-13 9:03 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

And where this application 'system path' may be found?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-04-13 1:22 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Hou Ming wrote it. Here's Hou Ming's site:

http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Cupertino/2039/

It's also available for download on at least one Pocket PC software site:

http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/en/index.php?soft=753

It's a Control Panel applet (.cpl), so you'll find the link there once it's installed.

Small observation: I've found that a few runtime files won't work if they're placed on a Storage Card, even with SystemPath. For example, eVB apps will run fine with the MSCE DLLs placed on the Storage Card when SystemPath is set to look there; however, some of the other eVB DLLs (eg, pvbdecl.dll) won't. You may have to do a little trial and error. (I haven't tried running .NET CF runtimes from the Storage Card yet.)
 Top of the page
rumen_s Page Icon Posted 2009-04-14 3:16 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Thanks,

There are even more programs on that site. Unfortunately it is impossible to understand what they are intended for
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-04-14 3:21 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You can try Babelfish or Google Translate to translate the page.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 12