x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

ARM CE razorbook for $119

1 2 3 4
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-03-27 5:14 PM
#
H/PC Elder

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3K-RAZORBOOK-400-CE-ULTRA-MOBILE-PC-7-IN-128MB-4GB_W0QQitemZ400039424395QQ

$119 seems like a good price.

John

edit: PS sorry thought there was more than 1 as it was a company but see it is just one... If you want to move to for sale section please do so.

Edited by mr-mac 2009-03-27 5:17 PM
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2009-03-27 5:31 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Is it really CE 6.0? The manual says 5.0. It should be a fun device at that price.

Edited by CAuser 2009-03-27 5:54 PM
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-03-27 5:37 PM
#
H/PC Elder

CAuser - 2009-03-27 10:31 PM

Is it really CE 6.0?

Not convinced... Was originally speced as such on website but think it is CE 5.0

John
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-04-09 11:27 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2009-04-09 11:02 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
It certainly is fun to watch (the video at liliputing puts it through its paces), but a 20-second boot is a long thing for CE and a 3-hour battery life is not a long thing.

I'd probably invest in it for under $100 shipped just out of love for CE. A question: would my Textmaker for HPC2000 work on this machine? Something tells me that would be too easy, but I don't have CE 4.0-and-above devices to know for certain.

Jake

Edited by Jake 2009-04-09 11:03 PM
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2009-04-10 9:11 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

It will. (for ARM)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-04-10 8:22 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

if you find CE6 version i'm buying it for 100-150$ shipped
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2009-04-11 12:47 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Eh? Thought a machine without touchscreen wasnt worth that much to you cmonex... and you wont see it with ce6 for $100-150. Its still shipping with ce5 because the licensing costs are much cheaper for ce5. Doubt you'd ever see ce6 shipping on the machine for less than the linux version.

Previous post... (alpha400 thread. same machine.)

cmonex
Posted 2008-12-28 11:42 AM

H/PC Oracle
Member NÂș 114

no touch screen? not worth more than 99.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-04-12 9:53 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

RTFM: with CE6 it is worth it. as I need a CE6 device soon. so, no need to quote posts like that.

Edited by cmonex 2009-04-12 9:53 AM
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-04-12 12:50 PM
#
H/PC Elder

cmonex I think the CE6 bit is just a mistake from razorbook when they were looking at doing CE on ingenic cpu.

None of the arm ones seem to be anything other than CE5
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-04-12 4:11 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

why, is there a CE6 mips version?
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2009-04-13 1:48 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Albatron TeePC runs CE6 on SC2430, or should run...
 Top of the page
snappyjaw Page Icon Posted 2009-04-16 11:49 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

For what it's worth:
I just got a Razorbook 400 with Windows CE 5.0 off eBay.
The unit does list it's processor as being ARM. The unit was listed on eBay as being second generation.
Here's what I can tell you so far:
Start up time: 37 seconds
Shut down time: 20 seconds
Any running programs must be closed out prior to shut down.
Pre-installed software runs well. I had no trouble connecting to several wireless networks. Internet Explorer worked fine (somewhat slow as others have noticed) and seems to have very minimal flash support. TCPMP is preinstalled along with WMP 9 and works well to stream music from the internet. MS WordPad is preinstalled along with MS Office viewers. There is some additional software preinstalled, but I have not used any of it yet.
The mouse/touch pad works OK. I found that on this unit at least, just a light click won't work on the mouse buttons, it has to be a slow, deliberate, harder push to get the click to go through. The movement of the arrow on screen is smooth and the pad responds well to touch. Because of it's size, I find myself repositioning my finger several times to get the mouse from one side of the screen to the other.
Overall, the unit is slightly deeper front to back than the MP900 and slightly shorter side to side. Because of the mouse pad, this makes the keyboard on the Razorbook noticeably smaller than that of the MP900.
There is no way to connect the unit to a PC, so any program installations you want to try must be done via a cab file copied to a storage card or downloaded to the unit.
This is really the spot where I've run into trouble. So far, I have tried to install several programs, among them an ARM version of some Citrix client software, Total Commander and Opera 8.65. Of these, the Citrix software (which runs on the MP900 and the Psion Netbook Pro) would not install - error message "This software is not compatible, please download software that is compatible with this device (I'm paraphrasing a bit, that's not the exact error message). Total Commander - same error message regardless of which CAB I downloaded and tried. Opera 8.65 - this one actually installed, but then wouldn't run. It pops up a small box with no text in it, when I close that, it's done, nothing else happens. I also tried several other CABs that I have from doing installs on the MP900 and the Netbook Pro, (sorry, I don't recall right now which programs they were) and every single one of them gave the incompatibility error.
This is my first CE 5.0 device, and I got it thinking that 5.0 would have more compatibility than 4.2, but either it doesn't or there may be something obvious that I'm missing, but so far, absolutely nothing installs on it.
Hopefully this helps anyone who is thinking about getting one, I know I couldn't find a lot of details on it prior to purchase.
Based on my experience, I think I'm going to put it back on eBay and keep my Netbook Pro for now.
If anyone has questions or anything they want me to try with it while I have it, I'd be more than happy to be a test case, just let me know.
Thanks.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2009-04-16 9:58 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Thanks for a through review, albeit one done with mixed emotions Could you try flavors of Textmaker? Any app made for HPC2000 work on your machine?

Thanks,
Jake
 Top of the page
snappyjaw Page Icon Posted 2009-04-17 8:19 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I can sure give Textmaker and some older apps a try.

One interesting thing, in reading the registration card, it's says that registering it qualifies the owner for a free copy of Softmaker Office 2008, so I have to assume that will install successfully.

I'll try those additional installs on it tonight and keep you posted.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 13