x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Editorial: Outlook Express Synchronisation Solutions

C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-04-06 2:22 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Outlook Express (remember that?); it may have been 7 years since it was last updated, but for many it still remains a viable and much used mail client that is as synonymous with Windows versions back to 3.11 as the concept of the task manager.

If you are using one of the Outlook Express releases as your mail client, then you may be wondering if it's possible it get more out of your PC / H/PC relationship than you are able to do with the standard ActiveSync offering.

Rich Hawley has a quick look at some of the different solutions that are available to Outlook Express users in "Outlook Express Synchronisation Solutions".

View: Outlook Express Synchronisation Solutions
 Top of the page Quote Reply
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2009-04-07 8:33 AM
#
H/PC Elite

That's a very thorough overview Rich, and you might want to add that Outlook Express itself is being deprecated by Microsoft (something we are all used to) and being replaced by Windows Live Mail as part of the Windows Live Essentials pack.

As for my own H/PCs I've given up synchronizing them now, and only use them when I have WiFi access, mainly for PIM access, email checking and reading RSS feeds at home. To that end the mobile version of MSN works well in the IE6 browser, as do the mobile versions of Google and the newly relaunched and really quite good looking Yahoo! mobile. Mobile Hotmail even displays HTML emails. Of course, you have no access to any of your PIM data when there is no internet connection, so this is not a good solution for everyone, but it suits me very well.

Yes, my phone can do all the above, but it is wonderful to have the huge screen and a proper keyboard with which to bang out emails, and not have to fire up the PC to do so.
Jake Page Icon Posted 2009-04-07 10:14 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Nicely done, Rich. Just by coincidence, over the past month, I had been looking for alternatives to activesync, and the article points me to many places, places I had never heard of until I read your piece.

Jake
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-04-07 11:43 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Rich, have you checked out LapLink's PDASync? (I don't use Outlook Express, so I can't speak to the topic.)

Well-wriitten and thorough review in any event.

EDIT: one very lucky post (number 7777)

Edited by CE Geek 2009-04-07 11:45 PM
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-04-08 7:22 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

PDAsync works great for Outlook, but not for Outlook Express.....7777, better go play the lottery today...
Jake Page Icon Posted 2009-04-08 8:37 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Rich, will PDASync work for the J-720? It doesn't aver so at their website, talks only about the PPC.

Jake
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-04-08 9:52 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I don't know about the 720...it says it works on ppc 2000, so I would assume it would. There is a trial for download...give it a shot if your interested and let us know how it works for you!
Jake Page Icon Posted 2009-04-08 10:59 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Geez, $50, wow. I'll have to brood on that.

Jake
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.179 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 9