x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Review: WordNetCE Freeware Dictionary/Thesaurus

ebswift
ebswift Page Icon Posted 2005-06-01 11:29 PM
#
I've recently made an update to my freeware dictionary/thesaurus WordNetCE, adding some new features, but since it has not been reviewed here, I'll post some information about WordNetCE.

WordNetCE is an advanced dictionary/thesaurus, or lexicon, whichever is easiest to get your head around . It uses Princeton's WordNet 2.1 database and includes all of the WordNet relations searching that WordNet allows. For each word you search for you get definitions for each type (noun, verb, adjective and adverb) and further 'relations' options, including synonyms, meronyms, hypernyms, and a whole lot of other relations options. Even if you don't understand the meaning of a 'meronym', the results of choosing that option make it pretty obvious from the results - for example, meronym will show all the parts of what you search for. So, if you search for 'car', then choose meronyms, you will be shown a list of many of the parts which make up a car and their associated explanation.

All search results are fully hyperlinked and colour-coded. So if you are reading a definition you are able to actively drill down into results, or simply clarify a word which is part of another definition. Sample sentences are shown, and formatting will faithfully display the hierachical structure of a relation.

Advanced searching goes far beyond what Princeton releases with their desktop version of WordNet. I have included advanced searching including: wildcard, regular expression, anagram, scrabble and sounds like. The advanced search will allow you to find words even if you don't know exactly how to spell them, or help you solve crossword puzzles and scrabble scrambled letters.

Included with WordNetCE are over 200,000 scrabble allowed words which removes obsure (and words which are not allowed in scrabble) definitions from WordNet such as people's names, place names, periodic table symbols etc. etc.

Finally, WordNetCE is VGA friendly and it is totally freeware. There are no addons to buy whatsoever, and there are no advertisements or spyware within the software. It does not ever expire, it is just free.

Download WordNetCE and find more information at http://www.ebswift.com.

(WordNetCE.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments WordNetCE.png (3KB - 105 downloads)
 Top of the page Quote Reply
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2005-06-02 7:24 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

ebswift

Thanks for the information, but unless this software runs on a Handheld PC (not Pocket PC) I think you may be preaching to the wrong crowd. This website and forum is focused on the Handheld PC only.

Note: Handheld PC's are clamshell type devices with built in keyboards.

So the question is - does this software work with Jornada 600 & 700 series H/PCs or NEC Mobilepro 700 & 900 series H/PC's?
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-06-02 11:02 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Hi ebSwift,

Nice dictionary freeware there! ... how about porting to HPC wince2.11 or wince3.0 so that the HPC community can use it as well?

You can get the free eVC and eVB tools from the downloads section.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-02 4:31 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i see it requires .net cf 1.0. then we can hope it'll work, i'll try to install it now..
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-02 5:13 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

is it a problem if i have net .cf 1.1? or it just doesn't work...
ebswift
ebswift Page Icon Posted 2005-06-07 7:19 AM
#
Yikes, well it may well not work for the 'clamshell' devices... maybe I'll have to make it work for that platform then... I'll check it out, but for now I won't make any promises. Thanks for the feedback!
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-07 7:48 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

thanks for the possibility that you might develop your app for our devices too

can you answer my question about .net cf 1.1? oh maybe i'll try installing 1.0 SP3... i'm just curious.
ebswift
ebswift Page Icon Posted 2005-06-07 5:47 PM
#
As far as the .Net CF goes I'm finding a mixed bag of results, but nothing points to HPC support of the .Net CF. I could be wrong, and even if I am, surely there will be future support for it. If anyone can clarify this, it'll be a help. I don't plan on porting WordNetCE to any other programming language, such as eVC or eVB.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-07 5:54 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well, .net cf officially is for ppc only, but i can install it (tried only the 1.1 version so far). the installer warns me about incompatibility but it will install fine and there are .net programs what will run fine with it.
ebswift
ebswift Page Icon Posted 2005-06-08 10:42 PM
#
Well if the .Net CF installs but my software doesn't work then it's more than likely processor compatibility. I'll keep looking into it. If I can ditch the pesky OpenNetCF that'll make things a lot easier.
anakin
anakin Page Icon Posted 2005-07-28 7:04 PM
#
Hi,

Count me as a big fans for WordNetCE, I use the .NET WM 2003 SmartPhone version and it's awesome! I'm also looking forward if you can port to HPC Pro Win CE 2.11 ... !!!

all the best ebswift!
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-28 7:14 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ebswift - 2005-06-09 4:42 AM

Well if the .Net CF installs but my software doesn't work then it's more than likely processor compatibility. I'll keep looking into it. If I can ditch the pesky OpenNetCF that'll make things a lot easier.

thanks for your answer, i noticed it only now. i tried to run it on strongarm SA-1110 206 Mhz i'll try to test it on an XScale hpc too (with .net CF already in the ROM). thanks very much again, if you're trying to solve it
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 27