x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Share Problems with XP SP2

DataHaunt
DataHaunt Page Icon Posted 2005-06-04 7:43 PM
#
Okay, I know this is one of your “favorite” questions, but I have to ask due to a problem I am seeing with XP SP2. To save some time, I’ll let you know that I’m an SA and painfully familiar with explaining and setting up file shares with PDA/HPC devices.

On three system, I can only access one from the HPC ( a MobilePro 900). The first 2 system are XP SP2 systems, the third is a Win2K3 server. Access even hidden files share on the server is no problem The XP systems are not configured exactly the same. One has ZAPro in place, the other uses the BullGuard suit as does the server.

When attempting to access the share, all three system prompt for user and password, but only the server accepts it. The XP system just keep prompting for the user name and password again and again.

My previous HPC was an Intermec and used exclusively for work and accessing servers and I had no errors in accessing.

Has anyone run into this problem or am I overlooking something embarrassing simple?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-04 8:07 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

hum ok

Usual culpret's are you're trying to log into a IPC$ share, there are no default shares avaiable for that user profile, you're trying to log into an account with no password and group policy prevents is, the account password has expired, group policy requires SMB signing, you didn't specify the logon domain if the clients are on the domain controller, you have the XP firewalls running as well as the larger ones.

For group policy:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/c/0010.asp
 Top of the page
DataHaunt
DataHaunt Page Icon Posted 2005-06-04 10:55 PM
#
The Win2K3 server is not a domain server and the accounts I've tried to use include one I use to logon locally.

The shares are specific, not the default root and are accessible with these very account from the other systems, just not the HPC.

I have the firewalls configured to allow access via IP address. All the system's firewalls on this LAN are configured in the same manner. No access problems.

The only difference between accessing the shares are from what system I am accessing them from. No accounts or system combination causes any problems with the exception accessing from the HPC and then only to the XP systems.

I'll keep researching the problem, but I've already checked all of the obvious causes.

One more thing to add to the mix. The shares that are inaccessible from the HPC are accessible from my Ipaq 5445 using the same IP address and user credentials for access.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-05 10:52 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

it's an interesting problem. i have XP SP2 + firewall (sygate), and i have only default shares (besides one shared folder that is accessible by everyone) and my jornada 728 can access them without problems. so it should work for you too, don't give up!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-05 3:22 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It's rudimentary troubleshooting, but have you tried disconnecting from the net, dropping ALL the firewalls - ensuring the XP one's service is off and try it then.
 Top of the page
DataHaunt
DataHaunt Page Icon Posted 2005-06-07 8:28 PM
#
C:Amie, yes, that was the last thing I tried after writing the last post. I have a solution, though I cannot understand why it works this way. It does appear to only be with XP SP2 and the MP900. Here is the scenario.

System 1 – XP SP2, System2 – XP SP2, System 3 – 2K3 Server.

Log onto System 1 with account A.
Log onto System 2 with account B
Log onto System 3 with account C

Access share hosted by System 1 from Systems 2 and 3 using account A credential – access granted
Access share hosted by System 1 from MP900 using account A credential – access failed. System 1 records login failure attributed to bad account or password.

Access share hosted by System 2 from System 1 and 3 using account B credentials – access granted.
Access share hosted by System 2 from MP900 using account B credential – access failed. System 2 records login failure attributed to bad account or password.

Access share hosted by System 3 from System 1 and 2 using account C credentials – access granted.
Access share hosted by System 3 from MP900 using account C credential – access granted.

Create new account (account D) on systems 1 and 2.
Using account D, access to shares hosted on systems 1 and 2 now granted.

It works, but I still have no idea why the accounts that are useable from every other system still function and can be used to access the respected shares from any system other than the MP900.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 8