x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

MobilePro 880 - Problem with initial access to SAMBA file share

rbsfou Page Icon Posted 2009-05-22 9:34 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hello all,

I know it's been some time since i actively participated on here, but i wondered if anyone could help me with a rather peculiar problem. Some time ago i setup a mp880 for my mother to listen to audiobooks on in her bedroom, using a Cisco Aironet card. The files are loaded from the network using samba, to HPC Media Player (MIPS), from a box running Gentoo Linux.

Recently, i've been having some problems with this, mostly in that when the device comes out of suspend / is reset, it picks up an IP address almost straight away (Ping, Resolving, Browsing with - yuck - Worldtalk - all work) but it locks when trying to open files from the server. I have to manually make an attempt to view the file share in explorer, which fails and times out the first time, but usually succeeds on the second (sometimes third).

This is a pain, as it took me long enough to teach her how to open the media player and add files from the server, and explaining how to do this extra step (plus the wait itself) is proving to be a real PITA.

I am not using WINS, but I do have full internal DNS names for the server (and also the client). I've always been using the 3.0.x strain of samba, and other windows / xbox (xbmc) / linux / mac clients have no problems with samba. Other linux utilities, as well as the kernel have been upgraded, and at some point this problem has cropped up. I have also rebuilt samba to make sure it is linked against the current libraries, but still no joy.

I tried digging through the registry to see if i could find anything i could tweak in the Windows Networking Client (such as preferring DNS over WINS, increasing the amount of retries, decreasing the timeout before reporting failure, etc), but i can't really find anything to do with this at all!

So does anyone else have any ideas? It's not where i would expect it to be in Desktop Windows (which goes without saying i suppose!)

TIA
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 8