x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Forum members home grown software.

Gaz Page Icon Posted 2009-05-26 5:18 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Well.....took the plunge and ordered PocketC for my J720.

I decided on this because I've used it before on a previous machine so it won't take me long to get back into it.

Is there a section on the forum where HPC Factor members can put there home made stuff for free download to members??
I'd like to have a tinker and post some things up for people to look at or use.

Gaz
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2009-05-26 7:42 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Although not hosted by this site, one of our members, MSDEX hosted a software repository. If he's still doing it, it'd be a good place for alpha/beta versions.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-05-26 8:35 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Smaller programs, 100K or less can be attached to a message post. Larger programs of substance can be included in the downloads section with staff approval. Go for it...perhaps even supplying source code and a tutorial on what and how you did whatever it is you are going to do...

There are quite a few members who would like to learn something about C programming on HPCs...
 Top of the page
Gaz Page Icon Posted 2009-05-26 2:40 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Magic.......I'll do that when I've knocked a few things up!!

Posting the source code is a brave thing to do however!!...... (I'm not the most structured coder!!)

Gaz.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-05-27 5:03 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If the binary is genuinely useful to to the community then we can arange distribution of it for you. What we can't do it give you access to the system to change things yourself, but if you write the blurb and make the screen shots I don't see why small app hosting couldn't be arranged.
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2009-05-27 5:18 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

That's a pretty interesting idea and I am often interested in running new software that solves some need I have in my HPC experience.

That said, my software that I have developed has only been posted to my blog/website without much or any mention here. It has been found by the google crawl-bot and etc. Apparently it is getting the job done, because now someone links to one of my programs as an example for a manual SW installation into an HPC. (I never learned how to do the CAB deployments yet).

A couple software points I should make here.

1. I often want to use the same binary on a large range of platforms, typically I can get my binary to run from Win CE 2.11 to Windows Mobile 5.0 without a re-compile in ARM. However, my library for hardware and OS abstraction needs an update for color schemes below 8bit. I have yet to post some of my more self-categorized 'really interesting' SW when this library comes into play in the main program. I did buy a casio-peia and a Velo for later porting.

2. I tend to develop and debug in the same abstraction library on windows PC with MSDEV 6.0. It works very well for me and I just typically need a recompile to WinCE target processors and no code change or tweaks. Dev process is: Dev on MSDEV6.0, debug there, get comfortable, put into EVC++4 or 3, compile to target processors, run thorough test on target, tweak if needed.

3. Conundrum for me: JPEG decoding has become very fragmented on all these OS and I may need to make a special project of JPEG management across platforms with non-shared code. Examples:

3a. imgdecmp.dll for older WinCE HW
3b. Imaging.h for newer WinMob HW
3c. GDIPLUS for WinPC

I'd be fine with the 3a and some combo of 3b&3c; I can't imagine why MS did not harmonize GDIPLUS on PC and newer mobile OS.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 9