x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Mintpad has a WinCE native mode

[Frozen]
1 2 3 4
Frozen
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2009-06-13 4:11 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Another gadget which has been making some waves on the web is the Mintpass Mintpad out of Korea. This is a mini internet tablet/ PIM / mp3 player which runs a custom interface overlying Windows CE. The good news is that an English version will shortly be available, and also no hacking is involved as the native Windows CE interface (CE 5.0 Pro) is touted as an asset!

More information here.

Edited by ZSX 2009-06-13 4:13 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-06-13 4:54 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I'm impressed! Very cool. Pocketpc screen resolution...built in wifi...lots of nice features.

But you shake it to display a full screen view? I can see myself shaking it and it flying from my fingertips....
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2009-06-13 7:31 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Yeah. It's a fun device. Impressive 90g. However, QVGA sucks.
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2009-06-13 11:45 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Pretty sweet! That ballbreaker game (or whatever it is renamed to these days) is too addicting. I thank the inventor of it and whoever wrote 'bubbles' on rockbox for passing my airline time so quickly!!!

PS:: CAUser, why does QVGA suck?
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2009-06-14 12:52 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

smb_gaiden - 2009-06-13 8:45 PM

Pretty sweet! That ballbreaker game (or whatever it is renamed to these days) is too addicting. I thank the inventor of it and whoever wrote 'bubbles' on rockbox for passing my airline time so quickly!!!

PS:: CAUser, why does QVGA suck?

I mainly mean browsing on a QVGA (320x240) is unpleasant. It should be at least HVGA like early HPC (640x240) or iPhone (480x320). VGA (640x480) would be nice as WVGA (800x480) is next to impossible on the tiny screen.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-06-14 1:25 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

smb_gaiden - 2009-06-13 8:45 PM

Pretty sweet! That ballbreaker game (or whatever it is renamed to these days) is too addicting.

I think that's Bejeweled being played in the picture.
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2009-06-14 11:39 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

On closer look, you seem to be right on about that! I'm not a fan of that one. Bubble Breaker/Jawbreaker/Name-of-the-day is exceptionaly. Hope the creator got rich!
By the way, is this the end of the line for Windows CE? Do they move into Windows Embedded XP and 7 and regulate the CE versions to Windows Mobile only? Speaking of Windows Mobile and my love of speaking in tangents... I have not been able to upgrade my phone in almost 4 years, because T-Mobile ***STILL*** has not gotten a 3G Windows Mobile phone in their lineup. I even removed my non-touchscreen and candybar form factor barriers and they come up short. I have the T-Mobile SDA and would love an exact replica in 3G. Do you all have Windows Mobile cell phones too?

PS: I am also in Southern California, we're still working off June Gloom here...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-06-14 3:07 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Not me - I'm sticking with my "Dumbphone." (I do have 3G, though.)

CE is alive and well - it's certainly not going away from the embedded device market, particularly PNAs. And the current wave of CE subnotebooks suggests that the H/PC form factor may be making a comeback, though it's clear that software makers are taking a wait-and-see approach.

Edited by CE Geek 2009-06-14 3:08 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-06-15 8:37 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

BTW, on the same website, did anyone take a look at the "dying doll?" Weird, but I guess it just goes to show that there is something for everyone out there commerically....still weird.

And CEGeek...what, you just felt the need to post on Pocketpcmag.com? I mean there hasn't been an active Mobilepro post in months there...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-06-15 12:59 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Just responding to posts made by others over the past few weeks (one of which was just a day or so old), Rich.

(goes off to find wet noodle for going off topic)
 Top of the page
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2009-06-17 2:47 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Here's more information on availability of the Mintpass from Jenn over on Pocketables.

Korea-based mintpass missed its original late April/early May target date of completing the English firmware for the tiny mintpad multimedia networking device, but the company is still pushing forward with plans for an overseas launch. I've been in close contact with mintpass for several months now and have just received an update about the immediate availability of 40 mintpad units to anyone willing to pay $169 plus FedEx shipping fees via bank transfer.

I think the screen is too low-res for proper web browsing, and on the balance it does no more than my current smartphone does, but without the phone! So, no, I won't be getting one, although the price ain't bad.

Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2009-09-18 12:25 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Well, I took the plunge tonight and ordered one after reading about it again on engadget this evening. There's a 3rd party business on Amazon that's selling it (brand new) for much less than the cost of importing it from korea or from the UK (the engadget article was about new availability in the UK): $169 + shipping ($6 and change for standard shipping for me). I should be receiving it in the mail next week. I can't wait

Edited by mscdex 2009-09-18 12:27 AM
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2009-09-18 12:39 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Interesting mscdex, let us know!
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2009-09-18 7:16 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I guess it's the smallest CE 5 device. We'd love to hear your impression once you play with it for a while. Someday, I may get this pad to let my SIMpad and Skeye.Pad have a cute companion.

Edited by CAuser 2009-09-18 7:19 PM
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2009-09-18 7:27 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

One thing I plan on trying right away is installing SJPhone and using it to receive calls from my Google Voice number. Then all I have to do is write me a Google Voice dialer for .NET CF (I know this has been done for WM5-6, but something that even works with HPCs would be cool )

Edited by mscdex 2009-09-18 8:07 PM
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.312 - Cached queries : 54 - Executed queries : 27