x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

IMAP and dialup/cellular connection

isotherm Page Icon Posted 2009-06-18 1:13 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I wanted to get a simple use out of a broken MobilePro 790 and use it to get my IMAP email in Pocket Inbox. And I wanted to do it over a dialup connection; this question would also apply to anyone connecting with their cellular phone over infrared, bluetooth, etc.

I set up the connection, and when I try to connect it says "Opening transmit port..." and it hangs for a very long time until saying that it cannot connect. But if I try the same thing over wifi, it works just fine.

So I did some troubleshooting. While connected by modem, I tried telnet to the mailserver on port 143. It went through fine, and I saw the IMAP greeting text. Next I tried a POP3 account. This also worked while on dialup. Next I tried Secure IMAP (with stunnel). Again, this worked over the wifi but not on the dialup connection. So, even when specifying "localhost" as the server, it cannot connect if using dialup. As a final test, I set up an IMAP proxy. Result: if the device is connecting via dialup, it never even reaches the IMAP server.

I've tried associating the IMAP account with the dialup entry, "Network Connection", and "(None)" but all yield the same disappointing result. Surely there must be something I'm doing wrong or some configuration setting I'm missing. Is anyone successfully using the built-in Pocket Inbox with IMAP?

Incidentally, I had the same problem on Jornada 720, and even on MobilePro 900C. All works great, except IMAP over a dial up connection.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-06-19 6:57 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Wonder if this problem is only with the particular ISP you are using? I haven't used a dialup ISP in so long...I don't even have one I can check it with...
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2009-08-25 5:13 PM
#
H/PC Elite

For sake of resolution: The problem was a blocked SMTP port. Apparently, Pocket Inbox won't do anything at all if it can't open a connection to the SMTP server... Even if you have no mail to send! I resolved the problem by either using the ISP's SMTP server, or using stunnel to forward localhost:25.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 9