x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

I think I'm officially Number 1 now

1 2 3 4
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-07-19 4:45 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That did the trick! Connected and synched up instantly as soon as the driver was installed. Thanx a lot, C:Amie.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-07-19 4:56 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Great, I'll add it to H/PC:Update.

Edit: Driver packaged and added to H/PC:Update.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-07-19 5:13 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Not only that, but by connecting the two V212s with the corporate desktop I was able to remove the autoexec it was running from bootup that was loading IE CE to connect to a corporate server. (IE CE would run in full screen with no taskbar, menus, or toolbars, so closing that was impossible before I removed the autoexec.) So now I have five perfectly working V212s - though these last two still need battery packs and have some stylus scuffs on the touchscreen.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-07-19 5:24 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Cool, glad I could help

Now go and do some site testing for me Bugs await I've no doubt lol
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-07-23 3:07 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Now the next puzzle: installing apps via CAB files. The device is very picky, installing from some but not many CABs. Most refuse to install, giving standard CAB error messages. And many desktop installers, of course, find the device to be of the wrong type for the application. (Unfortunately, this includes the .NET CF 3.5 desktop installer, which also doesn't seem to generate any CAB files on the PC.) Am I going to have to acquiesce to extracting CABs manually? wceloadext doesn't help - no CABs respond at all if I install it.

Edited by CE Geek 2009-07-23 3:09 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-07-23 4:32 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Sounds like something is missing from the party, either in the registry or as a pointer file.
Try doing a compare of with windows folder between it and a standard ROM to see if anything glaringly obvious stands out. Then check the windows ce services keys in the registry, wceload etc.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2009-07-23 6:24 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

CE Geek - 2009-07-23 11:07 AM
(Unfortunately, this includes the .NET CF 3.5 desktop installer, which also doesn't seem to generate any CAB files on the PC.)

You can unpack the .msi package with TotalCMD with .msi plugin, as I did to install CF 2.0 and 3.5 to SD card of my Sigmarion.

Or download this one.
http://www.filefront.com/14104511/NETCFv35.wce.armv4.cab

Edited by Alt Bass 2009-07-23 6:26 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-07-25 7:28 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Thanx for the CAB, Alt Bass - installed fine.

Another puzzle: it seems to reset the date and time on every soft reset - even when using the native software soft reset utility in ROM on the device. (Easy to reset to current time by resynching, but that seems like a big pain the behind to have to do after every soft reset.) Is there a way around this without disabling the persistent registry? (Even my RazorBook doesn't have this issue.)

Edited by CE Geek 2009-07-25 7:29 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-07-26 6:39 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

A little more information regarding time sync: there is a Control Panel applet to enable time sync with Internet time, but it's already enabled by default in the applet. I see several registry keys relating to timesvc.dll, but needless to say I don't want to fiddle with any of them until I know which one, if any, will address this issue. (Okay, I did try changing one: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Services/TIMESVC/TrustLocalClock, changing the value from 0 to 1, but it had no effect.)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-07-26 6:44 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Obviously they have included the time service with the expectation that the device have interent access and that it will get its local time from a web time server.

You need to enable the time services and ensure that it is using a valid time server address as a service path. You wont be able to make the clock persistent through this. The only way to do that is to have a RTC chip with a redundant power supply.
Backup battery dead?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-07-26 6:54 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

No, it's definitely got power - it doesn't reset when I swap out main batteries quickly, and the Control Panel says it's good too.

The time sync server setting is definitely valid - it will sync manually if I tap on 'Synchronize' in the applet. (The server it's using is pool.ntp.org.)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-07-26 8:22 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Chances are that it's by design then?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-07-26 3:44 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Can't be, cuz the other ones aren't doing this - they revert to the correct time as soon as the network connection is made. This one resets to 1/1/06 at 12:00:00am. (And synchronizing it manually sets it an hour later than the local time, even though the clock identifies the correct time zone, so I have to adjust it back an hour each time. That's not a unique problem, though - several of my CE devices do this when synched with the PC.)

EDIT: Okay, I've found the cause. There's a little shortcut in the StartUp folder called V212FirstBootup.lnk. I've previously changed the registry to point to \Permanent Storage\Windows\StartUp for the startup links. I deleted V212FirstBootup.lnk from \Permanent Storage\Windows\StartUp and soft reset, and it now retains the correct time. (Weirdly enough, the shortcut doesn't have this effect when run from \Windows\StartUp, since the other V212s have this link there and don't do this.) Weird side effect, though - the display now always remains off after reset, and I have to power it off and then back on again to turn on the display.

Edited by CE Geek 2009-07-26 4:25 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-07-26 4:06 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

DST update issue?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-07-26 4:22 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Correction on V212FirstBootup.lnk - it does do the same thing from \Windows\StartUp. I tried changing the registry setting to point back to \Windows\StartUp again, and it did the same thing from there - and when I deleted it, I got the same display issue on reset. (The other ones aren't doing this even though they still have V212FirstBootup.lnk in the StartUp folder.)

Edited by CE Geek 2009-07-26 4:24 PM
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 8