x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Wiki on HPC:Factor

[Frozen]
Frozen
takwu Page Icon Posted 2009-08-27 7:56 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I'm pretty sure this idea came up a few years ago, and I don't know if it came up again. Either way, I guess we can discuss about this again, and list all the reasons why and why not.

As the topic suggests, we should consider having our own Wiki database.

We can use the existing forum membership as a base, and perhaps only grant edit access to "established" members. That way even if someone cannot edit the Wiki pages, she can request a change through the forum, and someone with access can make the change on their own discretion.

There is so much information we can add if we have a Wiki... especially on the software side.

Let's talk!
 Top of the page Quote Reply
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2009-08-27 7:59 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Good idea!
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2009-08-28 5:48 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

... and here I was about to post a "noob" tutorial on installing NetBSD on MIPS HPCs. If a wiki will be available, I'll just wait and post it there.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-08-28 11:52 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

So, I'll humour the idea again; who's going to be policing and administering it?

Please don't say "everyone", even wikipedia don't pretend that's a viable way to run a wiki any more
takwu Page Icon Posted 2009-08-28 1:05 PM
#
H/PC Elder

That's why the idea of restricted edit. The forum admin or mods can grant edit authority to members they trust, and revoke them if someone tries something stupid.

Yes a Wiki only works when everyone is honest and respectful, in a way so does a forum. We just have to be reasonably cautious.

Most of the management system are already in place for the forums, and I don't think it will increase the workload for any of the staff: every word written in the Wiki will be one less word posted in the forums by the same author.

The only thing is the added maintainence of the software.
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 10