x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

[REQ: CANADA/US] NEC Mobilepro 700

[Frozen]
1 2
Frozen
jigab00 Page Icon Posted 2009-09-09 1:26 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

If anyone is looking to sell the above, please get in touch w/ me.
Planning to do a lot of writing outdoors, so I want/need the bw screen and AA batteries (also why I can't get a contemporary netbook).

Edited by jigab00 2009-09-09 1:30 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-09-09 1:47 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Very rare here in the US...often going for as much as $100 USD. You might consider looking for a Japanese Mobilegear version of the same thing...pretty common and far less expensive...and will do that same thing...you just have to put up with the Japanese menus...but you can put the 700 rom chips in some of the Mobilegears and make them 100% Americanized....
 Top of the page
jigab00 Page Icon Posted 2009-09-09 4:47 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Yeah, I realize it's expensive, but there's really very little out there suitable for outside work (besides the Alphasmart stuff).
Thanks for the suggestion re: Mobilegear MC-R300 - however, my Japanese (while enough to deal with menus) is way too meager to deal w/ auctions/payment/etc in Japan (that's the only way, right?)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-09-09 5:04 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

My problem as well...I've had to have someone else do the bidding and purchasing and mailing for me...and then reimburse them....now they are gone and I have no resources....
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-09-09 7:44 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

menus would be alright, as the accelerators are displayed with english letters. for example save as S.

yea my japanese acquaintances (or friends traveling to japan, that's how I got the pocketpostpet ) who helped me are gone too. :/
 Top of the page
jigab00 Page Icon Posted 2009-09-25 10:08 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks Rick, I don't need one anymore!
 Top of the page
Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2009-09-25 11:44 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

jigab00 - 2009-09-25 10:08 AM

Thanks Rick, I don't need one anymore!

Glad to be of help. I hope you enjoy the 700.

Rick
 Top of the page
syzygy Page Icon Posted 2009-09-26 2:31 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Finding a handheld sized device with a keyboard that can easily be used outside is an interesting issue. I'm amazed that it's not possible to by a current device - be it a handheld, netbook or laptop - that has a monochrome display. I'd happily give up a colour screen for outside usability and battery longevity.

Apart from the MP700 mentioned that only other device I've found fit for this purpose is the Psion 5 or 5MX series of handhelds. Not CE I know but worthy contenders for this sort of niche use. Smaller than the MP700 the series 5's have the best keyboard in their class (albeit not as nice the MobilePros) and - oh joy! - the screen contrast is at its best in bright sunlight. Perfect for the garden or beach. Astonishing battery life too.

I'd be very interested to know if anyone is aware of other clamshell devices that work well in bright daylight apart from the Psion and MobilePro.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-09-26 3:03 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I remember using a Targus keyboard with my Handspring Visor years ago...that worked pretty well outdoors for simple text editing, though the screen was small...
 Top of the page
Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2009-09-26 3:38 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

syzygy - 2009-09-26 2:31 PM
I'd be very interested to know if anyone is aware of other clamshell devices that work well in bright daylight apart from the Psion and MobilePro.

There are actually a lot of devices that can be used outdoors and that run on AA or AAA batteries. The best (IMHO) being the MobilePro 700, the Psion Series 5 and 5mx, the Palm m125 (with keyboard) and the Newton 2100 (with keyboard). I mention these because of their use of AA or AA batteries, decent keyboards and the fact they all have card slots - making backups easier, etc.

There are a lot more, including a lot of other Window CE devices, old Palms, the Dana, old DOS machines like the HP 200lx and the Sharp PC-3100 and PC-3000. Even very old devices like the Tandy 100, 102 and 200 should be considered (they now have the ability to save files on SD cards and they had the best keyboards for writers).

Lots to choose from... But, you're also right in that there are no current (that I know of) monochome computers running on AA or AAA batteries...

Personally, I think there's a (small) market there. I know a lot of journalists who still use them (myself included).

Rick

Edited by Richard Plume 2009-09-26 3:56 PM
 Top of the page
michelbel Page Icon Posted 2009-09-27 5:22 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Huizen, Netherlands (~20 miles from Amsterdam)
I can still get you at a good price a 200LX with excellent contrast, esp. in daytime.
I still use mine as agenda, bookreader etc.

<-- (see picture left...)

See 200lx.net for what you still can get.
esp the 'what is' page, and make me an offer.
Runs weeks on two AA's!
Disadvantages: no backlight, MS-DOS + internal PDA apps only. Thumb keyboard.

Alternatives: Psion MX-5(plus) has backlight plus monochrome plus larger keyboard, takes
some more power though.

For the older Wince handheld devices Jornada 320 , Compaq, Velo's etc, see this board.
 Top of the page
syzygy Page Icon Posted 2009-09-27 3:09 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for the comments and thoughts good people. As soon as I get a bit of free time I'm going to indulge myself for an hour or so and take a look at every one of the devices mentioned. If nothing else I'll have fun doing it!

The MP700 and 5MX will be hard to match though.....I guess the secret is to figure out exactly what I want to do with the device but all the suggestions would seem to suport basic word processing, spreadsheets and some sort of text notes organisation.

I'll need to sell something before I can even think about buying a new toy though (probably my Intermec 6651 or Fujistsu P1120 - neither of which work well in the garden).

Thanks again.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-09-27 3:16 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Don't forget to check out the HP 360LX and the Sharp Mobilon HC-4100 while you're at it.
 Top of the page
michelbel Page Icon Posted 2009-09-28 2:58 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Huizen, Netherlands (~20 miles from Amsterdam)
Anyway, I also have an Ericsson MC218 lying around - that being a 5MX plus a bit extra.
Plus a 5MX in parts, comes with it...
If you are interested, and have any nice toy to swap, let me know.
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2009-09-29 9:04 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Don't forget Omnibook 300/425/430/530, if you don't mind a size closer to MobilePro. They run DOS and Windows 3.1 (in ROM)... still instant on!
 Top of the page
1 2
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.217 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10