x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Acrobat Reader for Jornada 680/690 SH3

Hal Page Icon Posted 2009-10-06 1:18 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I have searched the forum to try to find a version of Adobe Acrobat reader that will run on my J690, but no luck yet. I GOOGLED the internet and find some SH3 versions, but are for "Pocket PC"'s, but haven't tried them.

Can anybody point me to an HPC SH3 version?

Thanks
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-10-06 3:13 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

There isn't one, unfortunately. The only version of Adobe Reader written for CE 2.11 was for SH4 devices - and it doesn't work as well as the Pocket PC versions run on H/PC 2000 devices. (And SH4 apps aren't cross-compatible with SH3 devices.).

Your only options are Primer, which works very well but is expensive and hard to find, or GowerPoint's µBook if you just want to read the text in a PDF file.
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2009-10-06 3:58 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Guess I will have to convert the 680 MANUAL pdf to Word and read it on the run that way.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-10-06 5:30 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

µBook might be able to handle that. It's worth a shot since you can get it for free.
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2009-10-06 9:39 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Looks like it doesn't support CE, unless I can read the PDF file on XP and save it in a doc format(??). See:
http://www.gowerpoint.com/

EDIT:

I found this FREE PDF to Word converter (except it bugs you every few conversions to solve a math problem, or buy it): http://www.hellopdf.com/download.php

Does a fair job of conversion. Some text is out of place in an RTF format.

RESULTS:
Converted the PDF file and transferred it to the J690. Went from 1+mb to 10+mb as a Word file, and took 5 minutes to "convert" and transfer, but is readable....thanks for the help!

Edited by Hal 2009-10-06 10:28 PM
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2009-10-06 11:45 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

uBook (non-lite) 20xx has CE versions available (starting at CE 2.11) and has rudimentary PDF support, meaning it simply displays the raw text extracted from PDFs. There's also pdf2html, which provides for better results when compared to uBook's limited PDF support.
 Top of the page
Dana Page Icon Posted 2009-12-23 8:40 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Your only options are Primer, which works very well but is expensive and hard to find

You can download Primer here. Unfortunately, it's no longer supported by the company it was sold to, and you need a serial number to run it. Google is your friend, though...

Primer works quite well, though it's a bit slow and cumbersome, and you'll do a lot of scrolling back and forth. If you have text only files, converting the pdf to mobi is a better choice (google Auto kindle), but if you need to see graphics in the pdf, or see them from the web when you're away from your PC, Primer is probably the best option.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9