x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Cnmbook WIN CE image on Razorbook ARM CE?

1 2
channylim Page Icon Posted 2009-10-11 10:45 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Folks,

Assuming you know razorbook ARM CE version comes in many brand names (eg. CnM Book silver version, and Dutch version (I forgot the brand name), would it be possible to upload CnM book image file to razorbook?

Both hardware spec seems exactly the same.

I tried Dutch version image that came from different brandname on my razoebook and it worked. The procedure of uploading image file for both razorbook and Dutch version book are exactly the same. What I just needed to do is to copy the image file to a sd card using a special program, and then boot razorbook with the sd card inserted.

However, CnM book image uploading requires bit tricky procedure. Link to guide is below

http://194.150.201.35/cnmlifestyle/cnmbook/CnMNB7SEfirmware.htm

I downloaded upload.zip file from above link and there were three b0(CE boot image file). I tried the biggest sized file(other two were too small in size) using the same method for Dutch version and razorbook but failed. My razorbook simply do not recognize the image file on the sd card.

Now I am trying to as the help guide but I am afraid that I might brick my razorbook and never be able to fix it again simply because CnMbook method is tricky.

The reason I am trying to go for CnMbook is their CE image seems more decent. Programs installed will not be gone after reboot!!! I hate my razorbook doing that.

Any advice would be greatful for me.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2009-10-12 10:50 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I own the linux mips version of the razorbook, which is a different monster on the inside.

From my experience, the procedure on CnM book LM model is the same, but its boot loader requires a different type image file (Not to different though), but internals are all the same, and procedure as well, if you flash a newer firmware version to the CnM book it will use the same image file as the razorbook from what i understand, but not vice versa, the dutch version Trendtac images has allways worked

Now as for the win ce models, it's up in the air, but im going to have to assume since CnM and probably The new Elonex ce version is all the same hardware, but a different procedure, if you can get their firmware and image on yours it would be better in the long run for better support, as 3k obviously dropped the ball, (they never really gave support anyway)It's just a question of risking experimentation.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-11-22 2:35 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I picked up a second RazorBook on eBay just for this purpose (about 50 USD plus shipping), but it's not clear to me that the motherboard is identical to the CnMBook (even though they're identical on the outside), as I can't seem to locate on the RazorBook the exact connection that's supposed to be bridged while doing the CnMBook reflash procedure. (I did reflash it successfully with the Prometium ROM - that's the name of the Dutch version.)
 Top of the page
RTFM
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2009-11-24 12:26 AM
#
I just picked up a razorbook ce for $35 on ebay. Brand new (still has the plastic on the screen yet) but it was sold cheap because it freezes as the desktop loads. Now here's my issue. What size/brand sd cards are you using and formatted to fat16 or 32? I tried a 4gb and 1gb micro in an adapter and i get an error message like "checksumImage err" and it fails to reflash and boots back into the desktop and freezes. Any ideas?
 Top of the page
RTFM
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2009-11-24 2:06 AM
#
Figured it out. Just needed a different card reader.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2009-11-24 9:09 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I've been thinking about getting one. Maybe i will now lol.

Kmart is selling a clone on black Friday for $119. http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_020W014138260001P?keyword=...

A Maybe.

I have to much i don't use all ready though.
 Top of the page
RTFM
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2009-11-24 4:22 PM
#
I haven't had much time to play with it, but 3/4 of the applications i tried wouldn't work. However tcpmp on it plays video extremely well. No reencoding needed. Played a 700mb divx 95% perfectly. I pnly got it because the starting bid was $24.95 and i was the only bidder...

I still prefer the linux version because of the amount of available software it'll run vs the ce version.

thcrw: have you tried my 1.2 release yet? Also screenshots of 1.3 are up on the elonex forum. It's going to be slicker than snot.

http://linuxlaptopforum.ark2webdesign.co.uk/index.php/topic,774.0.h...

Cheers
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-11-24 5:32 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I agree about the video quality. That's one of the things I like most about it.

thcrw739 - 2009-11-24 6:09 AM

I've been thinking about getting one. Maybe i will now lol.

Kmart is selling a clone on black Friday for $119. http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_020W014138260001P?keyword=...

Yeah, WindowsForDevices mentioned that in an article on it a couple of weeks ago.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2009-11-25 9:25 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

RTFM - 2009-11-24 1:22 PM

I haven't had much time to play with it, but 3/4 of the applications i tried wouldn't work. However tcpmp on it plays video extremely well. No reencoding needed. Played a 700mb divx 95% perfectly. I pnly got it because the starting bid was $24.95 and i was the only bidder...

I still prefer the linux version because of the amount of available software it'll run vs the ce version.

thcrw: have you tried my 1.2 release yet? Also screenshots of 1.3 are up on the elonex forum. It's going to be slicker than snot.

http://linuxlaptopforum.ark2webdesign.co.uk/index.php/topic,774.0.h...

Cheers

Yeah,

Saw 3 or 4 razor books on eBay a couple weeks ago probably from the same people you purchased from, all of them had something wrong, I decided i didn't want to get something that may or may not work.

I just want one to fiddle with, but $119 is a little high still for something just to play with every once in a wile, I dont even use my dell mini but maybe once a month.

Have been wondering since there are at least 3 or 4 different arm (via, samsung, & the one in the razorbook, cant remember which one)based processors in the Windows CE versions of these, and perhaps slightly different boards, If it would cause problems with new or modified imgs to be cross compatible, Causing the different company's images not to be compatible, at least the ones where the procs are different.

I haven't had the my MIPS book out since moved to salt lake, but did empty that box recently, so i'll be getting it out soon and try some of the new 3mx stuff.

Top of the page
RTFM
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2009-11-25 3:41 PM
#
Yeah mine the description said the keyboard and mouse didnt work and that it froze on boot. I figured if i could get it for under $35 it'd be a good parts machine for my alpha400. Extra battery, lcd screen etc. However a simple reflashing fixed everything and i wound up with a new razorbook ce for $25 + $10 shipping. Thats a steal.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2009-11-25 4:20 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I agree great deal, perhaps if they have anymore pop up i'll try one, but knowing my luck it will be really broken.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2009-11-25 4:25 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Just found this, might be a decent buy, though im not crazy about the china thing http://cgi.ebay.com/7-Mini-netbook-Laptop-Notebook-WiFi-Windows-CE-...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-11-25 11:38 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yeah, I'm looking at those too - really wanna check out CE 6.

The second RazorBook I got was one of those you and RTFM mention - same freezeup issue. It was up and running nicely in seconds after a reflash with either the RazorBook or Prometium ROM. Right now I'm poking around the registry to find ways to preserve runtime installations (.NET CF 3.5, etc) to get around the persistent registry.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2009-11-26 10:16 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Yeah at least it shows the system screen shot proving it has CE 6, Instead of just saying it does.
 Top of the page
RTFM
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2009-11-27 2:03 AM
#
CE Geek: Could you do me a favor and try getting some form of IRC client running on these? That's about all i'm missing to make this fairly usable. I tinkered around but i couldn't get ircce, wmirc or splatter (splatter loads fine, but it doesn't display the userlist or channel text) to work. I havent tried quakenchat yet only for the reason being that i dont want to reinstall evb runtimes after every boot. I am a linux guy after all, so this CE hacking is quite odd territory for me.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 9