x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Stylus calibration failure

headsign Page Icon Posted 2009-10-16 3:34 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

No matter how delicately and accurately I try to calibrate the stylus on my Phenom, it is always quite unprecise in a range of about 1/2 inch. Is this specific to Windows CE or possibly to the device. I remember owning an Apple Newton from 1992 and the accuracy was 100% after stylus calibration. Or may this be due to aging of the device (which is just out of the box)?
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2009-10-16 9:06 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Since you asked, there's nothing inherently wrong with Windows CE's stylus calibration in general, but I don't have a machine running anything older than HPC Professional.

If you don't close the unit or otherwise move the screen, is the calibration accurate? Or is the case that it is never calibrated correctly? On all of my machines, the calibration process might repeat itself a few times, usually if the target and read impact were outside of some magical/arbitrary tolerance. i.e, a cross jumped to 5 positions and you were supposed to tap on the cross each time.

Seems to me that you'd want to check for play in the screen cable/hinges and separation between the digitizer film and screen.

To be clear, you've got a "new in box" 10-12 year old unit?

Others may be more familiar with any quirks of the original Phenom which ran CE 1 (or Phenom II/II+ which were 2.0 machines ? ).
 Top of the page
headsign Page Icon Posted 2009-10-16 10:08 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I've got a "new in the box" 12 year old original Phenom running Windows CE 1.0. The calibration seems to be accurate for a while, but then it seems to loose subsequently.
There actually is some play in the hinges. I'll check if this does affect the position of the digitizer film. Thanks for the advice.
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2009-10-16 7:44 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Since you can get an accurate calibration that then drifts, I'd suspect something funky going on in the cable rather than the digitizer physically failing. On the NEC Mobilepro's, the culprit is usually the motherboard socket that takes the ribbon cable. The clip either loosens or the cable slides out (see Rich Hawley's site) for a write-up on dissembly. Granted, its a different manufacturer, but those pesky engineers seem to think alike... :-).

Good luck and drop a line if you get a solution other than to keep a shortcut to "Stylus" in the middle of our desktop...
 Top of the page
headsign Page Icon Posted 2009-10-17 6:30 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I installed a paint program yesterday and, lo and behold, when I draw a straight line, the result is a jittery one in the said range of approximately 1 inch. The motherboard socket sounds like a believable culprit indeed. The unit seems quite easy to open up so i'll try to unplug and replug the ribbon cable. It might possibly be slightly correded after 12 years of rest.
 Top of the page
headsign Page Icon Posted 2009-10-18 2:07 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Today, I opened the Phenom and unplugged and cleaned the ribbon cable on the motherboard side but the jaggy input remains. I guess opening the display case will be the net thing to do?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 9