x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Playing with the Pocket PostPet (part 2)

CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-10-21 5:29 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I talked about this cute little CE 2.12 device in this thread:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=10893&po...

But then the one I had stopped working, so I had one less toy to play with - until today when I got hold of a second one (thanx, stingraze), albeit with a dead battery. Unfortunately, my old PPP's battery seems to be dead as well now (not a big surprise as it had been sitting for almost two years), as the device will not run except on external power. (I'm convinced it's the battery and not a connection issue as I tried swapping motherboards with my old PPP, getting the same result.) I haven't had good luck with battery rebuilds (only one successful rebuild in at least a half dozen tries), so I hesitate to try rebuilding this one; for now I'll just use external power (including my trusty Tekkeon universal external battery) since I'm just experimenting with it thus far.

Anyway, I found a little fix that avoids having to close the Japanese PostPet program (which loads automatically) after each soft reset: just edit the value in the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/init/Launch50 from "taskman.exe" to "explorer.exe." Then on soft reset it'll boot straight into the CE Explorer shell. (Now if we could just figure a way to get a working Control Panel - see also my thread on the ePods. Also, just for kicks I tried creating the Desktop key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel, with Tile and Wallpaper values like on platform CE devices, but the blank white background was still there after a soft reset. )

Now to look for compatible MultiMedia cards bigger than 16 MB. (As noted in the above-linked thread, the PPP is pretty picky about these - and it can't use SD cards because they're too thick for the slot. )

Hacking is more than just fun - I'm learning more and more about how Windows CE works. For me, CE also stands for "Continuing Education."
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2009-10-21 10:36 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I have one, bought it a few years back from stingraze.
I'm not sure if the battery is still good (been sitting a wile) but i can pull it out and try charging it if anyone is interested.

Going to be pulling out a lot of old stuff to sell soon.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-01-06 4:08 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Well, as promised in my thread on the ePods, I tried the Pocket PC 2000 MIPS version of the eVB runtimes (hexedited from CE 3.0 to CE 2.11) on the PPP, and yes, MSCEMenuBar.dll is working fully on this CE 2.12 device as well. Useful even on this tiny device as many Visual Basic programs confine themselves to a small area and thus can still be viewed fully on the PPP's small screen.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 42 - Executed queries : 28