x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

webbrowser ?

hackerman1 Page Icon Posted 2009-10-29 1:10 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

hi !

what browsers can be used on CE 2.0 ?
 Top of the page
Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2009-10-29 3:07 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

There are two that I know of - Internet Explorer (built in) and Conduits Pocket Browser.

Rick
 Top of the page
hackerman1 Page Icon Posted 2009-10-30 9:15 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

hi !

thanks !

i just had a look at Conduits webpage, the list min. system as CE 2.11, they have several version for download, are you sure it runs on on CE 2.0 ?
 Top of the page
Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2009-10-30 9:49 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I just checked their web site and you're right - that's what it says. However, I did buy it within the last month or two, from their web site if I remember right, but I don't remember the site saying that it required CE 2.11. With that said, I just double checked and yes, the version I have, does work. I'm running version 1.6 on a MobilePro 700 (CE 2.0). BTW there isn't much of a difference between it and the built in Internet Explorer - the only reason I bought it is that it can view the HTML source of the web site you're on.

Rick
 Top of the page
Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2009-10-30 9:59 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I just double checked the emails I received from Conduits and that's the web page they sent me when they sent the link to the version I downloaded.

(I know it still says CE2.11, but try it...)

Rick

Edited by Richard Plume 2009-10-30 10:05 AM
 Top of the page
hackerman1 Page Icon Posted 2009-10-30 10:47 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

hi !

ok, only wanted to check before i installed it.
if it runs on your HPC, then it most probably also works on my 620...
i´m going to test later tonight.
 Top of the page
SirThoreth Page Icon Posted 2010-02-06 9:19 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

hackerman1 - 2009-10-30 2:47 AM

hi !

ok, only wanted to check before i installed it.
if it runs on your HPC, then it most probably also works on my 620...
i´m going to test later tonight.

I ended up installing it on my 620LX after reading this thread. Its support for stuff is...well, weird. I don't know how much more useful than Pocket IE it really is.

For example: I'm a avid fan of the game Battletech, and logging onto their official forums (an SMF-based site) works OK in Pocket IE ont he 620LX. Trying to view the WAP version of their forum doesn't - Pocket IE tries downloading the page, thinking it's a file.

Pocket Browser, meanwhile, loads both standard and WAP versions of the page just fine. When I try logging in, though, on either, I get "1 Item Loading...", and the browser just sits there. Initially, the little spinning circle that indicates it's working just stops, indicating that the browser's locked up, at which point I kill it. When that happens, you've got to do a soft-reset before Pocket Browser will load anything: it thinks it is (typing in "www.cnet.com" for a URL will forward you to the proper mobile version of the site, which, again, PIE tries to download like a file), but nothing displayed on the screen - including the usual splash screen you see.

Nope, I take that back. Even a soft-reset didn't fix the issue. I've now uninstalled it, and reinstalled it, moving it to the storage card, where I have more cache space available than RAM (it stores your cache in a subfolder of the program directory). It's running a bit better, though not exactly what I'd call stable. Text formatting can be...odd at times (CNet's mobile site, for example, doesn't space between paragraphs well) and, unlike PIE, you can save an image in its original format with original name, it seems.

Anyone else had much experience with Pocket Browser on these old devices?
 Top of the page
nathanpc Page Icon Posted 2010-02-07 11:16 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Internet Explorer is the best on Windows CE, because we still don't have Firefox.
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2010-02-24 11:46 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Buy a Jornada 728! =D It's the best option for browsing nowadays in a HPC.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2010-02-25 9:39 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Why not NBP+Linux?

Oh, I forgot, NBP is not a handheld.

Edited by Alt Bass 2010-02-25 9:39 AM
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2010-02-25 4:34 PM
#
H/PC Elite

BTW, I realized that you can install linux on a 620LX. With linux you can have firefox =] Well, I don't know if firefox will "run" on a 620LX. My 728 runs it a little slowly. But you can try Minimo, Opera, and many others available for linux. Check this site:
http://fz.hobby-site.org/hp660lx/jlime-stable/
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2010-02-25 5:05 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Alt Bass - 2010-02-25 4:39 AM

Why not NBP+Linux?

Oh, I forgot, NBP is not a handheld.

AFAIK there are no actively maintained or recent NBP linux distros available.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-02-25 8:38 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

So the project in this thread has hit a dead end?

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=10543&st...
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2010-07-20 4:24 PM
#
H/PC Elite

ntware - 2010-02-25 4:34 PM

BTW, I realized that you can install linux on a 620LX. With linux you can have firefox =] Well, I don't know if firefox will "run" on a 620LX. My 728 runs it a little slowly. But you can try Minimo, Opera, and many others available for linux. Check this site:
http://fz.hobby-site.org/hp660lx/jlime-stable/
What confuses me about Linux is that there are so many versions of it that are designed for different types of hardware so I have no idea what package to download. It is also backed up by no official site and lack of information. I also have no idea on how to install it.

It is unfortunate that there were no Handheld PC browsers developed that were truly superior to the built-in IE, and Pocket IE itself had many aspects that could have been improved. That's my thoughts.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.216 - Cached queries : 45 - Executed queries : 36