x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Instant messenger

jack2794 Page Icon Posted 2009-11-02 7:39 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello,

For some reason I have always liked hand held PC's and I am interested in buying an NEC MobilePro 880 running windows CE 2.11

I have a couple of questions:

Is there any instant messenger compatible with this operating system, if so could you point me to it?

Also, what is simple internet browsing like?

Thank you everyone in advance,

Jack
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2009-11-02 9:09 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

For IM, there's two native HPC solutions: iMov Messenger, which is a jabber client (just connect to a jabber server that supports the IM protocols you need/want), and then there's the using an IRC client to connect to a bitlbee IRC server, which allows you to log into your IM accounts and see all of your friends/buddies as if they were users in an IRC channel. The former is a GUI client and the latter is text-only. The basic (free) edition for HPCs for iMov Messenger is no longer available on the developer's website, but you can download the last made HPC version here.

As far as web browsing goes, you're pretty much stuck with Pocket IE which is version 3.0 and it doesn't work with all HTTPS/SSL-enabled (secure) web sites. Although, for things like gmail, you can use an email client like nPOPuk to access those kinds of secure (and other types of) email accounts.

Edited by mscdex 2009-11-02 9:14 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-11-03 3:14 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The 880 has WorldTalk on board as an alternative to the standard PIE 3.0. It's still the same browser, but with some small enhancements. Still, as mscdex says, the browsing experience is pretty limited, and pages load painfully slowly. You might consider hunting for the ROM from a 790 to upgrade it to H/PC 2000. You'll lose the use of the USB port, but will get a significantly better (though still far from perfect) browser in Internet Explorer CE 4.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 9