x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

how to use a CF-card bigger than 2 GB !

hackerman1 Page Icon Posted 2009-11-07 11:09 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

hi !

i put a 4GB CF-card into my HP-620LX, it was (as expected) not recognized, and my HP could not even format the card.
i then put the card into a cardreader connected to my PC, started a Linux-distribution (version), called Xubuntu,
and made a 2GB partition, formatted as FAT16.

i put the card back into my HP, and oh yes, it was recognized !
into the cardreader again, and made a second partition with FAT16 on the rest of the card (1.8Gb), then back to my HP, which recognized the second partion as "card 2" !
i guess it would be possible to use even larger cards if you make multiple 2GB partitions...

it´s possible to run some Linux-distributins fx. Xubuntu as a "Live-CD", which means you don´t have to install it,
you just boot from the CD, and then run the partioner fx. Qparted.

however, Xubuntu is a good Linux-version for beginners, if you want to try Linux.
btw, i´m going to install JLime tonight, i´ll write a small testreport later, in a new thread.

Edited by hackerman1 2009-11-07 11:11 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-11-07 2:37 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Thanx for pointing out the workaround (partitioning) for using cards larger than 2 GB in CE 2.0. Only downside is that you still have to restore every time you want to use CE again. I'd like to be able to switch back and forth, but that would require running Linux from the CF card as a "virtual machine" within CE rather than on top of it.
 Top of the page
hackerman1 Page Icon Posted 2009-11-07 3:03 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

hi !

"Only downside is that you still have to restore every time you want to use CE again"

sorry, but i don´t understand what you mean, i AM using CE, as i wrote above my HP sees those 2 partions as 2 cards.

i haven´t got JLime working yet, just finished copying all files to the needed partitions, tried to start it and got a "kernel panic"...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-11-07 7:46 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

So you're saying you can exit the Linux OS and go back into CE without losing installed data/settings that you had in CE before opening the Linux OS?

Edited by CE Geek 2009-11-07 7:47 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-11-08 5:12 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek, he used a Live CD to partition the CF card.
It's a fairly well known state of affairs, the only problem is that for most people as the Windows partitioner is so limited, it's a non-issue
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-11-09 12:05 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I understand how he partitioned the card. My question is whether there is a way to exit Linux and re-enter CE without losing previously installed CE data from RAM. (I've always had the impression that that's not possible.)
 Top of the page
ZytaZiouZ Page Icon Posted 2009-11-22 10:44 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

No no, he partitioned it on an actual COMPUTER. He never had linux on the machine at all, just CE. He removed the card, put it onto the computer (desktop or laptop), partitioned it, stuck it back into the 620 and it worked. There was no preserving data with CE running linux.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2009-11-23 7:51 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
CE Geek--do you use jlime, etc. for any true PDA work? I don't. It's great fun, and better browsing, but abiword is such junk that I can't do real word processing. and I've yet to find a way to update the abiword version. There's a freeware Textmaker 2002 for linux available and I never got that to run on jlime, etc. either.

Jake

Jake
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-11-24 3:52 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I couldn't get parts of the distro itself working, and quickly lost interest. OTOH, I recently picked up a MIPS Linux CnMBook (the eBay seller misidentified it as the CE version), and AbiWord and Firefox seem to work nicely on it.
 Top of the page
celia19O5 Page Icon Posted 2010-06-16 9:36 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

when I first use 4GB CF-card, I also have the same problem like you. But now it works well. Lucky me
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2010-07-06 5:14 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Just out of interest, what storage card capacity is the maximum for running under Handheld PC 2000?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-07-06 7:11 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

See:
Support > Maximum supported Memory Card & File Sizes under Windows CE
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2011-05-21 3:10 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Thanks for this tip, I remembered reading this but didn't find the post again until now but I've already accomplished the same in a different way that doesn't require linux (but requires CE.Net 4.2).

The smallest CF cards in stores was 4 GB for $19.99, on ebay even a 128mb would have cost me about the same thing with shipping so it made more sense to get 4 GB for the same price, remembering that I read you could format them into multiple 2 GB partitions to work in CE 2.0.

I noticed CE .Net 4.2 on my handheld lets me make partitions, so I looked at the total number of sectors on the card, and devided it in 2 to enter the partition size (you must enter the size in sectors, not in bytes). It was now recognized as 2 cards by both my Casio E-15 and NEC MP900.

However, when I put the card in the MP700, it recognized 2 unformatted memory cards and asked to format both, since I had a backup of the card I answered yes to format both cards.

The card now works accross all 3 devices.

Edited by aab 2011-05-21 3:14 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.189 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 11