x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Hard drive or CF bios limit in 2.11?

BookWorm Page Icon Posted 2009-11-16 5:42 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I had to upgrade my ThinkPad BIOS to use an 80 gig hard drive. Compact flash cartridges are available up to 64 gig now, and I doubt my WorkPad Z50 (two months newer than the ThinkPad) BIOS (CE 2.11) is upgradeable. Is there a limit to the size of the CF I can install? What about hard drives, assuming I can find a compatible PCMCIA drive?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-11-20 4:25 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0044.asp

HPC:Factor - more than just a forum.
 Top of the page
BookWorm Page Icon Posted 2009-11-21 10:22 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Thanks, that helps a lot! I'll probably get an 8 gig (even in this excuse for a town, radio shack has one) but I am a little confused. It says the maximum partition size is 32gb, but the maximum volume size is 8gb. How can a partition be larger than a volume?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-11-21 11:03 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The bottom line is that anything up to 8 GB should work, but larger cards cannot be read properly by these older devices. (There's a fix for this, but it only works in CE 3.0 or higher - and only on ARM devices.)
 Top of the page
BookWorm Page Icon Posted 2009-11-25 10:39 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

>There's a fix for this, but it only works in CE 3.0 or higher - and only on ARM devices.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Top of the page
BookWorm Page Icon Posted 2010-06-25 4:12 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Just out of curiosity, what would happen if I used a larger card and partitioned it? Some notebooks with disk-based Windows versions can deal with a hard drive larger than the BIOS limit by using partitions the size of or smaller than the BIOS limit. Has anyone ever tried it?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-06-25 8:05 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The trouble is that these newer, larger cards use a different cluster density that these older CE versions can't read properly. The device would still only recognize half the volume of each partition.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9