x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Generic CE 6.0 subnotebook - I took the plunge

1 2 3 4 5 6
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-12-03 3:24 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

So I took a chance and picked up one of these (mentioned previously by thcrw739 in another thread):

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-Mini-netbook-Laptop-Notebook-WiFi-Windows-CE-...

On the outside it's the same as the ubiquitous Alpha 400/RazorBook/CnMBook/Prometium/etc, but as advertised, it has CE 6.0 on the inside. And it's about as generic as an electronic device can get: no labels anywhere on the device, no manufacturer info whatsoever on the box or in the user guide. Some observations thus far:

1) Takes about 10-17 seconds from power-on to reach the CE desktop, and a mere three seconds to shut down. (Not exactly instant-on, but noticeably better than the RazorBook.)

2) Though it does have a persistent registry like the RazorBook, it does retain installed data on reboot.

3) The browsing experience in IE CE doesn't appear to be an improvement over that of the RazorBook, and battery life is definitely inferior to the RazorBook (only about 2-3 hours of Web browsing on this device, compared to up to eight hours of browsing on the RazorBook).

4) Very bright display like the RazorBook, but dims way down after a set period of nonuse (eg, one minute). (I like this feature.)

5) It comes pre-loaded with nearly all the DLLs you'll need to adapt Windows Mobile apps (aygshells, MFC/ATL runtime files, gx, phone/sms, cellcore, and many others), in a special folder (\Windows\System).

6) It doesn't appear to eat SD cards like the RazorBook does if the card is left in the device when powered off and/or powered back on. (The RazorBook always tries to find a bootable image file on the card during boot, and in the process hoses the formatting, leaving it in RAW format and destroying the data on the card. This device appears to leave the card intact, with no data/format loss.)

More testing to come. I need to find more apps in the CE 5-6 range. Some WM 5 and 6 apps seem to work, some don't. .NET CF 2 is pre-installed as well, though most .NET CF 2 apps aren't working yet. (Similar problem to the one I'm having with many .NET CF apps on my ViewSonic V212.)

(BTW, maybe we need to broaden the name of this forum to CE 4.x .net and higher, to include CE 6 - and later Windows Embedded Compact. )
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2009-12-03 10:52 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Congratulations on your purchase of a CE 6 H/PC (netbook).
 Top of the page
Slycarter Page Icon Posted 2009-12-03 2:31 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Check if it can play flash video like youtube ones.
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2009-12-03 2:56 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Slycarter - 2009-12-03 11:31 AM

Check if it can play flash video like youtube ones.

My MYLO COM-2 does play youtube video. It's a handheld with Linux and thumb keyboard.
 Top of the page
Slycarter Page Icon Posted 2009-12-03 4:14 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Also Sigmarion III it is reported to play youtube video but I have not been yet.

It seems that youtuibe videos are the hard part for windows ce devices so if there is one able playing it worth a try.
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-12-04 3:56 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Slycarter - 2009-12-03 9:14 PM

Also Sigmarion III it is reported to play youtube video but I have not been yet.

It seems that youtuibe videos are the hard part for windows ce devices so if there is one able playing it worth a try.

Willing to bet Nvidia Tegra is what we are waiting for
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-12-04 4:47 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

One weird quirk though: the SD slot appears to be read-only. It won't let me install apps to the card, nor move them there afterward. And it doesn't dump CABs after installation. (At least it seems somewhat less picky about CABs.)

I neglected to notice the color choices in the listing, so I didn't specify - so naturally I ended up with pink.
 Top of the page
Slycarter Page Icon Posted 2009-12-04 5:04 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

mr-mac - 2009-12-04 3:56 AM

Slycarter - 2009-12-03 9:14 PM

Willing to bet Nvidia Tegra is what we are waiting for

You are completely right. I have been on Mobinnova site and they have on their main page a picture of the new N910 with NVidia Tegra reportin "coming soon".
I wrote them to know when they are gonna launch it on the market. No replay yet.
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-12-04 5:36 AM
#
H/PC Elder

trouble is...

so far all tegra devices have been shown with a silly trackpad...

Show me one with no trackpad and 7" touchscreen (with little bezzel or 6" ) that will go into coat inside pocket and I will buy it.

John
 Top of the page
Slycarter Page Icon Posted 2009-12-04 6:56 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Looking the pictures it is an extremely portable device that you can carry in little bag everywhere. Surely you are not going to see any of these with a lcd panel smaller than 10", but in my opinion is the perfect size. Not to small that you have to squeeze your eyes and but right to fit a web page in it.

Then, if your ideal is a handheld that fits your pockets, I suggest to stay on Sig3.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-12-04 1:57 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Correction on my last post: it does both read and write to SD cards - I had just inadvertently moved the write-protection toggle on the card to the locked position.

USB thumb drives (and mice, of course) also working out of the box.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2009-12-04 2:56 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

CE Geek - 2009-12-04 9:57 PM

Correction on my last post: it does both read and write to SD cards - I had just inadvertently moved the write-protection toggle on the card to the locked position.

I was just about to make such a guess.
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2009-12-04 3:01 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

CE Geek - 2009-12-04 4:47 AM
I neglected to notice the color choices in the listing, so I didn't specify - so naturally I ended up with pink.

It takes a confident man to surf in pink. Of course, it might (but only just) be better than a "Sponge-Bob" or Nichelodian slide color scheme...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-12-04 3:12 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

At least it matches my Pocket PostPet.
 Top of the page
rtfm
rtfm Page Icon Posted 2009-12-05 1:16 PM
#
CE Geek: Does it come with a recovery cd and/or a link to download it? I thought about one of these also, but for as much as the razorbook crashes i don't want one of these without a recovery file available.

Cheers
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5 6
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 53 - Executed queries : 27