x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Generic CE 6.0 subnotebook - I took the plunge

1 2 3 4 5 6
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2010-05-04 7:24 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I don't have any setting for suspending, natural it is.
 Top of the page
nigelmercier
nigelmercier Page Icon Posted 2010-05-04 7:37 PM
#
Alt Bass - 2010-05-04 7:24 PM

I don't have any setting for suspending, natural it is.

Are you sure it just ins't the screen going blank?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-05-04 7:45 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

PCs didn't even exist then. (I remember - I was there.)

Some of my CE netbooks have the suspend settings profile tab in Power Properties, but in some it's grayed out, and in others, it has no effect.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2010-05-04 7:45 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I'm sure.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-05-05 9:05 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Okay...tried to flash the rom on my new 8505 netbook. It updated the logo, then updated the main bin, and then the safe bin, and then it booted into Chinese. I pulled the SD card out, went to reboot it...and now all it does is look for device drivers.

Tell me that I haven't bricked yet another.......
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-05-05 9:28 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

A few others have had this issue and have posted on this site:

http://netbookce.tk/forum/index.php?sid=12740b3dac50e6357d957addd4f...

Try reflashing it again. As I said earlier in this thread, it may be like the Casio BE-300, which sometimes requires more than one reflash before it properly loads one of the custom shells. (The Chinese desktop is normal on first boot, but it should revert to English after a reboot.)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-05-05 11:26 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

This is why I hate tiny screens. After closer inspection, I see that the cpu of this device is a ARM-WM8505, not the ARM-VT8505. Wonder if that is why this is not working after multiple flashes....

Now here is something different I just did. In the script folder on the SD card I renamed the safe_nk.nbo file to normal_nk.nbo and renamed the normal_nk.nbo file to safe_nk.nbo. In otherwords I just switched the two files around and reflashed the device.

Guess what...It now boots up like it should...kinda. Everything is still in Chinese...but at least it is booting again.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-05-06 7:18 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I've been having an issue today with my VT8500 device: both the touch pad and keyboard failed to work on two separate occasions of booting up the device. A reflash solved the problem in both cases, but twice in one day is not good. I hope I don't have to keep doing this.

According to the Ubuntu Linux forums, the VT8505 and WM8505 are the same processor. (WonderMedia is reportedly a subsidiary of Via.) Check this page:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1349626&page=58

So maybe it'll work itself out if you keep flashing it. Doesn't sound like it could do any harm.

Another forum about these Via/WonderMedia devices is popping up:

http://s0.blackmage.co.uk/~nextvolume/via_arm/index.php

There's a Windows CE forum there, but no one's posted in it thus far. (All the talk so far there has been about Linux. )
 Top of the page
konker Page Icon Posted 2010-05-09 3:06 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Okay, a friend of mine passed me his 7" China made Windows CE 5.0 netbook to experiment because it "is not working".
It is working just fine but I wanted to try & put the Android OS onto it.
Based on the hardware specs, it's a 266MHz CPU but nothing mentioned about VT8505 or WM8505.
I'm attaching a screenshot of the boot screen indicating the CPU type along with the System properties with the AKCHIP ARM920 label.
Please advise me if the Android ROM or perhaps even Windows CE 6.0 is compatible with this hardware.
Thanks!

Konker

Edited by konker 2010-05-09 3:21 PM

(Windows CE 5.0 Netbook.JPG)

(7-inch China netbook.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Windows CE 5.0 Netbook.JPG (60KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments 7-inch China netbook.jpg (84KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-05-09 6:55 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

No, there's only an Android ROM for the VT/WM8505, and this is not the same processor. Yours has an Anyka processor, like the one in the CnMBook. There's no reason why it shouldn't support CE 6, but I've yet to see any CE 6 ROM images for the Anyka anywhere on the Web.
 Top of the page
konker Page Icon Posted 2010-05-10 4:53 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

CE Geek - 2010-05-10 1:55 AM

No, there's only an Android ROM for the VT/WM8505, and this is not the same processor. Yours has an Ankya processor, like the one in the CnMBook. There's no reason why it shouldn't support CE 6, but I've yet to see any CE 6 ROM images for the Ankya anywhere on the Web.

CE Geek,

Thanks for the confirmation.
In that case, I assume flashing this unit would be very different as was pointed out earlier for ARM9 & ARM11 devices.
I did try the CE 6 ROM in this thread but it would not flash...good thing it did not or it will brick the device.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5 6
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 10