x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Old Fashioned PDA with CE5 / arm netbook £79/99

[Frozen]
1 2
Frozen
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-12-09 4:33 AM
#
H/PC Elder

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=286831&C=email-newslet...

£79 for a CE 5.0 PDA/MID type device... Not for me really but cheap enough and thought it was intresting enough to post info here.

They are also doing the usual razorbook style ARM/CE machines for £99 (or £79 B-Grade).
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=257308

Cheers

John

Edited by mr-mac 2009-12-09 4:49 AM
 Top of the page Quote Reply
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-12-09 11:13 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Having a look and Telechip seem to do a number of chips all based on ARM9 cores.

Not sure which one this is based on but guess one of the better ones as it has a DSP.

May be quite quick if CE is well optimised.

John

Edited by mr-mac 2009-12-09 11:15 AM
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-12-27 3:17 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to News & Editorials
MikeHalliday Page Icon Posted 2010-01-09 5:19 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

mr-mac - 2009-12-09 4:13 AM

Having a look and Telechip seem to do a number of chips all based on ARM9 cores.

Not sure which one this is based on but guess one of the better ones as it has a DSP.

May be quite quick if CE is well optimised.

John

New to the forum and have a few questions as I am stuck racking my brains on these;

I bought one of these after Christmas from Maplins and its not a bad device. Its quick and easy to use. Will get a 32GB SD card for it and replace my Creative Zen M:Vision device as it had a much bigger screen than the Zen.

Have found some CE 5.0 apps that run on it, but want more. Where can I find the following CE 5.0 software (I have used Google till my fingers bleed);

Screen rotator
.LIT eBook reader
Audio player that works like WinAmp (Core player is great, but I prefer WinAmp style)

Does anyone know how to get other stuff working on this device? I have a PPC development environment that I use extensively, but when I compile for PPC2000/2002 the apps/games wont run. I get an access violation error.

I have tried the FAKE DLL packs but they don't work either. - I did at one time have a NAVMAN i520 which also ran CE5.0. This device allowed my apps to run without issue.

Is it the way the MID A10JQ has been made? Surely there must be a way around this issue?

Ta.

Mike.

C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-01-09 6:15 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I see that are now on sale for £69.99 and £79.99 respectively.

If anyone has one of these and would like to write a formal review for the reviews section, please drop me a line.
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-01-09 4:48 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

The price is really not bad at all for what you get these days...but not for me. I just discovered a box that I had packed away several years ago that I had thought I had lost during a move. Luckily I didn't. It full of brand new Ipaq pocket pcs (about 8 of them) and also contains my old Jornada 660lx, 690, and 720 that I thought was lost forever...oh yeah, and my Pencentra 130 which I stupidly threw out the power supply a couple years ago thinking I would never need it again.

Oops, didn't mean to hijack anything, but I agree with C:Amie...I'd love to see a good review with a few screenshots of these new netbooks running HPC2000 applications and maybe a few ppc apps...
MikeHalliday Page Icon Posted 2010-01-10 11:27 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Rich Hawley - 2010-01-09 9:48 AM

The price is really not bad at all for what you get these days...but not for me. I just discovered a box that I had packed away several years ago that I had thought I had lost during a move. Luckily I didn't. It full of brand new Ipaq pocket pcs (about 8 of them) and also contains my old Jornada 660lx, 690, and 720 that I thought was lost forever...oh yeah, and my Pencentra 130 which I stupidly threw out the power supply a couple years ago thinking I would never need it again.

Oops, didn't mean to hijack anything, but I agree with C:Amie...I'd love to see a good review with a few screenshots of these new netbooks running HPC2000 applications and maybe a few ppc apps...

I'm in the throws of doin a review document/hack it to do what you want document so will post it as a PDF when its done. It has lots of scren shots and info on getting apps to work on it etc.

Regards

Mike.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-01-10 12:03 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Mike,

Would you consider writing the review for publication here? You'll get your name in lights!

An additional, separate request too. Would you be kind enough to fill this in and post it back to this thread:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/staff/27/hpc-forum/HPC_Specs_Template.xls

We can get the device added to the Devices & Specifications section, HCL, H/PC:Update et al with this data present.

Thanks
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2010-01-10 1:36 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

>>>http://www.hpcfactor.com/chris/hpc-forum/HPC_Specs_Template.xls

MikeHalliday Page Icon Posted 2010-01-10 1:40 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Same here. 404 error!
MikeHalliday Page Icon Posted 2010-01-10 1:40 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

C:Amie - 2010-01-10 5:03 AM

Mike,

Would you consider writing the review for publication here? You'll get your name in lights!

An additional, separate request too. Would you be kind enough to fill this in and post it back to this thread:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/chris/hpc-forum/HPC_Specs_Template.xls

We can get the device added to the Devices & Specifications section, HCL, H/PC:Update et al with this data present.

Thanks

I was going to post the PDF review and PDF hacking files here for all to look at!
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-01-10 3:52 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

If you send it directly to C:Amie instead, then he can post it as a permanent review page under "Reviews." (Click on the Reviews link above for a list of reviews we've already posted.)
MikeHalliday Page Icon Posted 2010-01-11 10:45 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

CE Geek - 2010-01-10 8:52 AM

If you send it directly to C:Amie instead, then he can post it as a permanent review page under "Reviews." (Click on the Reviews link above for a list of reviews we've already posted.)

Right O! will do.

Thought the review was dead last night. Turned the device on and the screen went all funny. Took it back to the retailer and got it replaced. So thankfully, the review can continue again!

One interesting thing to note is that the hardware received today is a newer revision then the faulty one, so may be a more interesting device to fiddle with now?

Mike.
velocetteman Page Icon Posted 2010-01-11 11:18 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I have just started a dedicated forum on the Maplin MID A10JQ at :-

http://maplinmid.hyperboards.com/index.php

Have put in a few contributions of my own, and would be pleased to receive contributions from other users.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-01-11 1:31 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

So you registered jsut to advertise on our forum and mooch the user base... nice.
1 2
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10