x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Have NEC MobilePro 880 what can I do with it?

qbu Page Icon Posted 2009-12-10 4:52 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

System is Windows CE Handheld PC Ed 3.01
touch screen
has PC Card slot16354KB Memory
don't laugh cable modem slot
CF card slot
2 areas in the back - 1 for USB port and the other for??; 2 has a picture of a PC/video screen??
It has pocket access/ excel/powerpoint and word
Can I buy/download something that will let me use WIFI?
Can I connect it to my phone?
Would appreciate any info
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-12-10 5:03 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Most everyone here has played with an 880 at one time or another.

Yes, you can get a wifi card for it...check out the hardware compatibility listing on this website to see which ones will work with it.

Also look over the CE 2.11 area here for more info, or do a search for 880 and watch all the goodies pop up....

I'm afraid it won't connect to your phone unless your phone has an infrared port on it.

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-12-11 1:03 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Getting WiFi is easy - there are lots of PCMCIA (and a few Compact Flash) WiFi cards that will work with it. Check our Hardware Compatibility List:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/hcl/
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2009-12-11 9:29 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

And you can run Linux on that...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-12-11 1:19 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Or, if you're not afraid to do a simple electronic part exchange (and willing to give up USB functionality), you can get hold of the ROM module from a MobilePro 790 and turn the 880 into an H/PC 2000 (CE 3.0) device. (Exchanging the ROMs is pretty simple: while disconnected from any external power, remove the main battery, remove the small cover on the bottom of the 880, remove the 880 ROM and replace it with the 790 one, put the small cover back on, put the main battery back in, and turn on the 880. Voila! )
 Top of the page
pengyou Page Icon Posted 2009-12-11 11:00 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

If you get a bluetooth card for it and your phone has blue tooth, can you use it to connect to your phone?
 Top of the page
qbu Page Icon Posted 2009-12-14 10:31 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks eveyone for the info - it is very helpful
 Top of the page
SirThoreth Page Icon Posted 2009-12-15 5:26 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

pengyou - 2009-12-11 8:00 PM

If you get a bluetooth card for it and your phone has blue tooth, can you use it to connect to your phone?

I'm not sure - not having a BT card for my 880, I couldn't tell you whether or not 2.11's dial-up networking can support dialing a bluetooth modem - IR required a download off of HPC Factor, and I've seen no comparable for bluetooth or, for that matter, USB.

I'd assume it'd depend on the software bundled with the card, but the biggest hurdle I'd see, though, would be finding a bluetooth card. According to the HCL, the Socket bluetooth CF cards aren't terribly stable on CE 2.11, due to the driver release. AmbiCom's Air2Net's listed as working OK, but checking reviews in Google Checkout, it sounds like they switched chipsets at some point, disabling you from running it on a number of devices, and reliability is questionable.
 Top of the page
SirThoreth Page Icon Posted 2009-12-15 5:31 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

qbu - 2009-12-14 7:31 AM

Thanks eveyone for the info - it is very helpful

May I also suggest installing the Iomega Clik! USB drivers off the website here? That enables you to connect USB flash drives and hard drives to your MobilePro 880. If you do, though, be aware that following CE Geek's suggestion of upgrading the ROMs will disable the USB port, so it's really a "one-or-the-other" proposition on the 880: USB or H/PC2000.

Also, you'll note another port on the back of your 880: it's possible to hook up an external monitor with a specific adapter cable. A quick search turned up two on eBay for $25 each. That's something that may prove handy.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-12-25 6:07 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to Handheld PC Professional
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 11