x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Activesync Problem

Leightonw87 Page Icon Posted 2010-01-02 5:04 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi all, I'm new here, just thought I'd start my first post here with a issue that has only just become apparent. I can't connect my SMini Win CE 5.0 netbook to my desktop. It has three usb ports, one says USB Drive and the other two say keyboard/mouse. I've tried all of these ports and none will connect it. I never has a usb cable with the netbook but I bought one in my local supermarket. It doesn't want to do anything.

I really want to connect it so I can install things a little easier. I went to the control panel and it has a applet called pc connection, I tried the options in there and still nothing.

Any help would be very greatful.

Thanks in advance.
Leighton
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-01-02 5:15 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

No one here's been able to connect any of these CE 5 netbooks to a PC via ActiveSync either - with one possible exception: one version of this netbook (with the brand/model name of CnMBook Silver) is supposed to be able to do it, but it does come with a cable for this. I don't suspect a standard double-male USB cable will work; the wiring may be different in the CnMBook's cable.
 Top of the page
Leightonw87 Page Icon Posted 2010-01-02 5:36 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

well thats a tad annoying, the manual even states it will connect through whaat looks like the usb disk usb but one thing that I did notice in the manual it says that usb disk cannot be used on any port.

I found a program on one of the drives which is called BINFS there is a file called or at least a link to a file called USBSwitchTool.exe but it doesn't seem to want to do anything... It does a little box as if it opens a dialog but nothing after that. If anyone knows anymore about that we may be able to get it working but like you said CE Geek it could be the wiring is different but that would be odd as nothing standard would even work.

Sorry about a little rant I was having there but I only had the netbook the other day and there seems to be some funny little quirks about these CE netbooks that are a little annoying.

Thanks in advance...
Leighton

P.S. Sorry.

Edited by Leightonw87 2010-01-02 5:43 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-01-02 6:27 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

It might be possible to connect over a WiFi network, but you'd first have to establish a partnership with between the netbook and the PC, which of course is a Catch-22 because establishing a partnership normally requires a serial or infrared connection first. There is, however, an unsupported utility for establishing a partnership manually by setting up the needed registry keys on both the CE device and the PC. That utility is called - surprise - ActiveSync Partnership Creator, and it requires the .NET Framework be installed on your PC in order to run it. (I've tried this method, however, and ASPC ended up erroring out on the PC before completing the process.) mscdex has this program, but his site ( http://mscdex.game-host.org/hsr ) seems to be down at the moment. You can try PMing him here as he's one of our longtime members.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-01-22 6:39 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The error I mentioned above was only in the IP to binary conversion, and that conversion is easily done manually (192.168 converts to C0 A8, etc), so I was able to complete the manual partnership setup on my RazorBook - but I still couldn't connect. I was reading this thread -

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=7005&pos...

- because that member was having the same problem I'm having (albeit on a different device) after creating the partnership manually. The registry export C:Amie attached appeared to solve the problem, but the link is now dead. What registry changes were in the attached file, C:Amie?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 9