x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

FA [Global]: 320LX / MC12 CE 2 ROM Upgrade

C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-01-09 6:24 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I've been having a clearout over the holiday period, rooting through the attic as one does, and low and behold I found 7 320LX/MC12 ROM chips, new and boxed.

I thought I only had one of these left, so I was pleasently surprised to now have 8 of them.

I've put them up on eBay Buy It Now for £10, and you can make me an offer too if you want:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180451849642

This listing ends 1st February 2010.

The ROM chips are Ericsson branded, new in boxes with all original software - still sealed.
The chips update the Windows CE 1.0 devices to Windows CE 2.00, offering a larger and more deiverse PDA experience through a more finly tuned interface, more robust built in facilities and a much broader range of third party applications available from developers.

Windows CE 2.0 builds on the foundation work in CE 1.00 and 1.01 with updated versions of Pocket Internet Explorer, the PIM applciations (now Pocket Outlook) with Inbox, Calendar, Contacts and Tasks.
Pocket Office is significantly updated with Pocket Word and Excel remaining in the suite and Pocket PowerPoint and Outlook adding to the built-in programs.
hp Month-at-a-Glance are also bundled in ROM.

Windows CE 2.0 also improves hardware support, but including updated file system and communications drivers. Using the Network Service Pack the devices become Wired and WiFi Network compatible, allowing you to browse the Internet and sync at Network speeds with a compatible card.

When updated to Windows CE 2.00, the devices are fully supported beyond Windows CE 1.0's compatibility with Windows 95 and NT 4.0, with full support for Windows 95, 98, Millennium, NT4.0, 2000 and Windows XP by using the latest Microsoft ActiveSync release.
Office 95, 97, 2000, 2002 (XP) and 2003 are also supported fully by ActiveSync.

Technical Specifications:
Windows CE 2.00 Build 7260
10MB ROM
Physical Chip replacement through the connector on the front of the base plate

Compatible with the Ericsson MC12 and Hewlett Packard 320LX

What is Included:
1x Windows CE 2.00 ROM Chip in protective box
1x Ericsson MC12 Upgrade CD
1x Replacement keyboard ALT / Function overlay
1x 'Upgrade Your MC12...' Getting Started Guide
1x Microsoft Windows CE Services 2.0 Standard Software bundle (Shrinkwrapped)including:
- Windows CE 2.00 Certificate of Authenticity
- Microsoft Windows CE 2.0 Guide
- Microsoft Registration Card
- Windows CE Services OEM CD

I will also include a CD with Ericsson and hp device updates, as well as HPC:Factor updates, ActiveSync 3.8 and Microsoft Windows CE 2.0 Utilities.

What is not Included
Just a reminder that this is a CE 2.00 ROM upgrade, unlike the 2.11 one it does not increase internal RAM.
Unlike the hp ROM, bFax 3 and the hp desktop graphics are not included in the MC12 ROM. Otherwise they are identical. bFax 5 was the final CE 2 release. Functionality is recovered by using the Ericsson communication software tools which make up the difference.

You said this is an Ericsson chip, will it work in the 320LX?
I have tested one of the Chips in both my Ericsson MC12 and hp 320LX. Both booted and operated fine.

What language are they?
The chips contain the International English image of Windows CE 2.0. Likewise all of the paper documentation is in English, with multi-lingual Ericsson CD content.

The Ericsson Phone & Communications Tools
The reason why bFax was not included is because Ericsson created their own software suite (SIM backup, SMS, IrDA Dial-up etc) to work with their phones. Windows CE 2.0 versions of the software are included on the Ericsson content CD, and I will provide patches on my updates CD.

I cannot state specifically what is included on the CD, nor which phones are afforded native compatibility in the SMS and phonebook management. For the simple reason that I have not broken any software seals.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-02-09 5:17 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-02-20 11:01 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There is now only one of these left. This is a fairly momentus occasion because once this one one goes, that will be it.

For the last 5 years I've supplied the world with 320LX/MC12 memory chips, boxed and new, now 13 years after they were originally released. I doubt that there will ever be an opportunity to get hold of one of these again, so it's a bit like an end of an era.

Happy buying.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-02-20 5:32 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

... and they're all gone. The last one will be on its way to Texas in the USA on Monday.

I have no more ROM chips, I will not be getting any more ROM chips. To everyone who has purchased over the years, thank-you for your business.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 8