x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Which Languages I Can Use To Develop Onboard?

nathanpc Page Icon Posted 2010-02-04 12:12 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hello,
I'm now wanting to develop for Windows CE 3 onboard, but in what languages can I do this(please put links to download).

Best Regards,
Nathan Paulino Campos
 Top of the page
nathanpc Page Icon Posted 2010-04-01 5:28 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Someone?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-04-01 8:03 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

NSBasic is one possibility, as is PocketC or Python or Java or a dozen more that come to mind....but this has been asked thousands of times Nathan. And, HPCFactor has all the development tools you really need right here: http://www.hpcfactor.com/developer/

But if you want to write code on your HPC and run it...then I like NSBasic.
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2010-04-01 8:56 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Most of the available ports of alternative language compilers/interpreters are no longer updated. Here is a blog entry detailing some of the scripting languages available for CE. There's also squeak (Smalltalk) and TCL 8.3.

From what I've read, it seems one of the main reasons that many of these interpreted language ports died off is due to increased resource requirements (especially non-storage RAM) with newer versions of the language.
 Top of the page
nathanpc Page Icon Posted 2010-04-09 2:15 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

mscdex - 2010-04-01 4:56 PM

Most of the available ports of alternative language compilers/interpreters are no longer updated. Here is a blog entry detailing some of the scripting languages available for CE. There's also squeak (Smalltalk) and TCL 8.3.

From what I've read, it seems one of the main reasons that many of these interpreted language ports died off is due to increased resource requirements (especially non-storage RAM) with newer versions of the language.

I was wondering to use Squeak on my j720, but I got problems with an error saying that I don't have enought memory.
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2010-04-09 2:50 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

nathanpc - 2010-04-08 9:15 PM

mscdex - 2010-04-01 4:56 PM

I was wondering to use Squeak on my j720, but I got problems with an error saying that I don't have enought memory.

According to this page, the Squeak image file available on Yoshiki Ohshima's WinCE page doesn't work. Try the alternate Squeak image mentioned in the page at the aforementioned link.
 Top of the page
nathanpc Page Icon Posted 2010-04-09 2:52 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Got the same problem.
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2010-04-09 7:17 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

nathanpc - 2010-04-08 9:52 PM

Got the same problem.

I'm not sure then, sorry. I have never personally tried Squeak before.

However, it looks like the current source code for the Squeak VM (4.0.2) still contains compiler directives for Windows CE, which is promising. With that in mind, it may be possible to take any additional CE-specific files/bits from Yoshiki Ohshima's Squeak VM source code package and incorporate them into the latest Squeak VM source code and compile the latest Squeak VM for CE. Also, after some brief googling, it seems you'd most likely want to exclude a lot of things from the CE build (especially plugins) that either don't apply to CE devices or would be unusably slow, such as 3d stuff and/or "Morphic" stuff (which I'm not exactly sure what that is, but I heard it doesn't run well on embedded devices like HPCs?).
 Top of the page
technogeist2k9 Page Icon Posted 2010-06-12 10:47 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

If you're into bottom-up style programming. There's DSForth or PocketScheme (a lisp interpreter with an interactive window). If you have a .NET 2003 based device there's a Smalltalk run-time for ARM devices (IBM VisualWorks 7) available from Cincom.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 8