x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Server performance problem: New server conumdrum.

1 2
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-02-12 7:10 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

HPC:Factor - It's not a myth, it's all smoke and mirrors
 Top of the page Quote Reply
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-02-13 9:14 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I have made some kernel changes to the forum today, which some of you will have already noticed.

- The forum category page has changed
- There is a lot less green - hopefully good and welcome news to some of out members who are green colour blind
- The member information down the left hand side of every post has changed in structure and layout

'+ Subscriber' badges
Anyone who donates an aggregate total of £10 or more to the site will get a "+ Subscriber" badge under their poster information.

The idea is to recognise those who have contributed towards the site financially, and to do it in a visible way.

- +Subscriber members will have their PM limit increased to 200 messages
- +Subscriber members can attach files to posts up to 350KB, it is 60KB for other members
- +Subscriber status will last for 365 days (12 months)

For anyone who has donated >= £10 and does not have + Subscriber status: Apologies folks, this means that I haven't been able to match your donation e-mail to your user account. Please drop me a note and I'll get you added
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-03-07 9:41 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I thought I would give an update on the new server saga.

After kicking off the order, I had general hell with the order because they sent the wrong thing out and had to battle to get them to admit it and refund -- NEVER use paypal to checkout, I will not make that mistake again. If my experience is anything to go by, companies have different, unpolices and unsafe reimbursement systems and without the regulation we have on card transactions they keep trying to take liberties.

Anyway, after a lot of time and arguing they refunded us in full.

So I went to reorder and they (perhaps) conveniently had stuck the price up by £50. At that point I told them to walk and went elsewhere.

The new delivery expectation is for Thursday. The good news is that thanks to Isotherm's donation we had enough in the kitty to add another £4GB of low CAS performance RAM; which can only be a good thing for the database.

I am trying to keep my diary free for Friday so that I can do the necessary migration. So at this point in time, please expect some downtime Thursday evening and/or Friday.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-03-20 6:12 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Hurrah.

Ladies and gentlemen, after two wrong courier deliveries, two dead (brand new) DDR3 chips, one dead (brand new) VGA controller and my being away for a week we are finally running on the new server.

Does this practically make any different to anyone browsing the forum, especially as they can't see (or hear) it?

Before we moved to the UK the lowest forum load was around 0.360 seconds, when we moved to the UK to my existing server that load time was 0.128 seconds. In the last couple of hours I have seen it as low as 0.046 seconds. That's nearly 8 times faster than in Florida and just shy of 3 times faster than before here in England!

I think that equates to good news for everyone, especially for our stereotype pandering American members who don't like to wait for anything

The plan is to perform some robustness testing and bed it in for a day or two - I've blue screened it twice and want to ensure that the problem is out of the system. After that I will re-open public registration.

At this point, if there is anyone who is serious about providing download mirroring and can meet the following requirements, I'd love to hear from you.
- Server machine that is running 24/7
- Static IP address
- public http web server (any)
- private ftp access and/or pptp access
- Is willing to give a minimum of 6 months to co-hosting (otherwise it isn't worth spending the time uploading to you)
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.175 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 8