x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

[FS: WORLD] Jlime Linux CF - Configured to Boot - Jornada 7xx

1 2
Hal Page Icon Posted 2010-02-23 11:39 PM
#
H/PC Elite

FS: 2gb Sandisk CF partitioned in Linux and FAT16, w/Jlime Mongo (kernel zlimage-2.6.19-rc6) installed and bootable. Plus, a bootable CD (if your PC is capable) with PuppyLinux.

$28US delivered, $31...the rest of the world. I will donate net... probably >$5, to the HPCFactor site. There is no other profit intended here.

Tested on the Jornada 728 and 720. Can't say about other platforms.

Background: Early in Feburary I asked if anybody could make me a CF to run Jlime on my Jornada 728, and willing to pay, but no one came to my rescue. So after much fussing and fuming, I figured it out and as a fundraiser for HPCFactor am offering it for sale here and will donate the net to this forum....call it a bake sale, if you will.

What you get:

-a partitioned Sandisk 2gb CF with boot files loaded to the FAT16 partition, and Jlime and linux swap as the other partitions.

-instructions and notes for booting JLime

-CD with bootable PuppyLinux so you can experimant on your PC, too. DOES NOT require installation on your PC. (if you computer can boot from CD and is not too ancient...may require BIOS editing to put the CD boot order a head of the HDD boot).

-Delivery included

Payment Method: PayPal

Guarantee- Will boot to the Jlime desktop if you have a Jornada 7xx and you can navigate and run the loaded programs, or you get a refund upon returning the stuff, less postage.

I only made TWO for now, but if there is demand I will get some more CF's, just so I don't over-buy. The "userland" is picky about CF brand, so I can't buy just any brand arbitrarily and know that it will work.

PM me if interested.

Hal

PS If you ever wanted to try Linux, it couldn't be any easier than this!

Edited by Hal 2010-02-24 1:55 AM

(jlime desktop.jpg)

(menu.jpg)

(Jlime CF & PL.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments jlime desktop.jpg (50KB - 3 downloads)
Attachments menu.jpg (53KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments Jlime CF & PL.jpg (72KB - 3 downloads)
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2010-02-24 1:03 AM
#
H/PC Elite

nice thread dude! Unfortunately I already have a CF and already managed how to put linux on it (besides I don't even use linux anymore - I found RedGear+Opera for CE =D). But if there was a card like that for sale when I was strugling to install linux on my little machine I definitely would have bought one of these. For sure is a good deal for begining users that wants to try linux on their machines. Also, a good ideia is to share on the internet the image file that you use to clone the CF's, so that people that already have a CF can easily install linux on their CF
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2010-02-25 12:19 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Thanks jorel101: $5.50US donated to HPCFactor

I got 2 more CF's and formatted them, so they're available, too.

Edited by Hal 2010-02-25 12:21 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-02-25 9:45 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Donation received, thank-you
 Top of the page
Desertway Page Icon Posted 2010-02-25 6:39 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Ok, questions from a non-linux using newbie.

If I put the CF in my 720, and soft reset, will it boot into JLime?

If I want to go back to WinCe, do I remove the card and soft reset again?

Will my WinCe apps and data be retained when I reboot into WinCe?

Is there a list of apps included on the JLime CF?

Can I save data and docs to the CF when working in JLime?

Are there WiFi drivers included? If so, are most cards supported?

Thanks.

Edited by Desertway 2010-02-25 6:42 PM
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2010-02-25 7:47 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Desertway - 2010-02-25 1:39 PM

If I put the CF in my 720, and soft reset, will it boot into JLime?

Nope. To boot into linux you need to start the Bootloader (a WinCE executable file)

If I want to go back to WinCe, do I remove the card and soft reset again?

No. As Linux writes data on RAM, you need to remove the battery and start the device again (cold-boot) to boot into WinCE.
Note: Linux will NEVER damage you WinCE instalation as it is stored on ROM, so you don't need to worry about it.

Will my WinCe apps and data be retained when I reboot into WinCe?

As explained before, Linux writes data on RAM, so all your files and data that are stored on RAM will be completly erased. A solution for that is to use the built-in HPBackup software. You can create a full-system backup and store the file on the storage card. After you perform the cold-boot you can restore the backup and the system will be as it was before.

Is there a list of apps included on the JLime CF?

Check that on www.jlime.com. It may vary depending on the distribution.

Can I save data and docs to the CF when working in JLime?

Yes. Just navigate to /mnt/cf

Are there WiFi drivers included? If so, are most cards supported?

Yes. AFAIK all the PCMCIA wireless cards that works on WinCE are supported on linux. And also a lot other unsupported cards on WinCE may work under linux too.

Thanks.

You're welcome!
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2010-02-25 8:04 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Desertway - 2010-02-25 10:39 AM

1-If I put the CF in my 720, and soft reset, will it boot into JLime?

2-If I want to go back to WinCe, do I remove the card and soft reset again?

3-Will my WinCe apps and data be retained when I reboot into WinCe?

4-Is there a list of apps included on the JLime CF?

5-Can I save data and docs to the CF when working in JLime?

6-Are there WiFi drivers included? If so, are most cards supported?

Thanks.

Here are my experiences, considering a month ago I was a Jlime-newbie...now I am a semi-newbie See responses to your questions I have numbered:

1-My experience is to first backup the Jornada to your main CF. Then insert the JLime CF I made, and cold boot the Jornada. Either calibrate the stylus, etc., and get to the Storage Card, or push the Windows key and use the arrow keys to the Storage Card/JLime CF (this way is quicker). Then double-tap the jlinexec.exe you will see on the FAT16 partition. Jlime will boot, you login with root and enter startx to get XWindows and the desktop to come up, and you are there. If you turn your Jornada off and come back later, your screen where you left off returns, as with Win CE.

2-To get back to WinCE, I first pull the battery and AC power. Then reinsert the original CF, reboot, calibrate, and bring back WinCE with the restore saved on the CF. There may be a more graceful way to go about it, so would appreciate advice. I have more than one Jornada 728, so am leaving one as Jlime until I find no more interest in it.

3-Since your data is backed up and saved on your original CF, you will continue on where you left off on WinCE.

4-I provide a 4 page list and description of the program icons you see in the first desktop pic above, and by exploring you will discover others, like the movie player (but no sound), and Midnight Commander...a file manager, but unfortunately there has been no other list of programs created that I can find. I even asked the same question on the JLime forum and was told that there is not a comprehensive list.

5-Yes, you can save documents and data to the CF (or PC Card). Three ways I know: a) open a Terminal session and use linux commands to copy files, like cp /home/root/my_data.txt /media/CF (or cp to /media/hdc1 which is th PC Card designation).... copies the file my_data.txt to the FAT16 partition where it is viewable in WinCE. b) Run Midnight Commander (see interface graphic) and copy the files by picking and defining source and destination. 3) Run PuppyLinix and copy/paste the data within partitions on the CF, or to/from your WinXP (for example) drive.

6-I tried my ORiNOCO Gold WIFI (16bit) and WEP works with my SSID using the included browser, Minimo. Just requires 2 entries to setup. So it looks like the WIFI that take the Agere driver works: e.g., WaveLan, ORiNOCO Gold/Silver, Enterasys, Avaya...all 16bit cards, of course.

I am just a beginning user myself and my approaches above are through my own trial and error. If anybody has improved approaches to the above, please chime in.

Hal

Edited by Hal 2010-02-25 8:30 PM

(Midnight Commander.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Midnight Commander.jpg (57KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
Desertway Page Icon Posted 2010-02-25 8:35 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Thanks for the responses. Without easily being able to switch from one to the other without backup/restore, I will have to think about it.
 Top of the page
Christopher Page Icon Posted 2010-02-25 10:39 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I, too, am a newbie to Linux on the Jornada 728, and am doing exactly the same as Hal.

If folks know any shortcuts to Hal's approach I'd sure like to hear them as well, but switching the compact flash cards and doing a hard reset and a restore is really so simple. In fact, I prefer having each system on two separate cards. That way I feel that I can experiment with Linux, while not having any worries about losing some of the stuff that I have on my original flash card.

Just gives me more peace of mind, using two different cards, once for Windows CE 3.0 and one for Linux.

For the time spent configuring everything, it is far easier to purchase a card already configured, and with Hal making a donation to the Forum, its a win / win for all.
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2010-02-26 3:18 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Thanks heatsinc: $5.50US donated to HPCFactor
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2010-02-27 2:22 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I was asked what the PuppyLinux desktop looks like. See pic.

If you want to take the 2gb CF and make it all FAT for use on your Jornada WinCE after you have had all your fun with JLime, you can use PupplLinux to remove the linux partitions.

Edited by Hal 2010-02-27 2:25 AM

(PL Desktop.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments PL Desktop.jpg (45KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2010-02-28 6:10 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Thanks MPC720: $5.50US donated to HPCFactor
 Top of the page
MPC720 Page Icon Posted 2010-03-01 3:54 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thank you for providing this service and for making the donation to HPC Factor!
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2010-03-07 2:50 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I am going on vac today until the 27th, so any requests will be on hold until then....unless I hear from you by 2PM PST today.

Thanks.
 Top of the page
Jornada+Linux Page Icon Posted 2010-03-14 3:41 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi there everybody,

I've been "messing" w/ Jlime and a Jornada 7xx for a few weeks now too, just like HAL. And I always choose my avatar from 2001 too, just like HAL. I sort of forgot about this forum because it was down for a while. Thought it ceased to exist. I never watch this "for sale" section, as I already own a lot of Jornada things I want/need. And after some of my first posts somebody told me about the special JLiMe forum. I've been posting there for a while now.

However, I see that some people that are not active on the Jlime forum have bought the special working CF card w/ Jlime pre-installed on it. Indeed, that can save you a lot of frustration! Had I known that more people are struggling w/ Linux/Jlime here on this forum then I would have visited more often. Especially since the uses named RTFM is active here. He wrote Jlime, is it not? Wow!

Anyway, want help w/ Jlime or just want to say that you think it is great, you can visit the Jlime forum too if you want! I'll keep an eye on the special Linux section of the 'Technical Support' section of these H/PC forums. I'm only interested in Linux, so I don't think you'll ever see my name pop up in one of the other H/PC sections.

If you want to take a look at some of my tips and the things I've learned about Jlime and the Jornada 7xx then take a look at the the following (collection) of topics:

[My experiences with Jlime]

It contains the following "chapters":

1. General: about hard- and software
2. Themes, configuration, look and feel
3. Handy info concerning installing (certain) applications
4. Office
5. PIM, synching, in- and exporting
6. Networking
7. Bugs and workarounds
8. My wish list, my to-do list
 Top of the page
1 2