x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

CE6 Netbook - first impressios & questions

1 2 3
Dana Page Icon Posted 2010-03-26 10:44 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Well, received my new netbook yseterday. (CE6 533 mhz 128MB RAM 2GB flash drive generic Chinese model) impressions are mixed.

Pros: Very small and light. Clear display. Seems fast enough.

Cons: Does not include the promised editing software for msoffice docs (does include readers). Included pdf reader is very rudimentary and doesn't display all docs properly. Rear USB port doesn't seem to work (though it may be a client port). Had to reset it several times, losing desktop shortcuts to software installed on the flash drive. Manual says coreplayer is installed but it isn't (but the manual also says it's CE5). Youtube videos wouldn't play but I got them running, though slow and choppy, after installing flash 7 (would like to find a copy of flash lite 3). Won't read my NTFS formatted external drive. Doesn't see a digicam on the USB as a drive, though I can take the card out and put it in a reader and it does see that.

Seems mostly con and perhaps it is, but I'm working through them. Enough issues that I could send it back and ask for a refund, but if I can get it to do what I bought it for (play music, internet on the road, read ebooks, and pull pictures from a digicam) I'll be satisfied.

I'll do a side by side comparison with a friends 8.9" Asus XP netbook today.

Questions:

• Is there a version of Opera that runs on CE6?

• Is there a good ebook reader that runs on CE6 (I used mobipocket on my J690 but I can't seem to find a version that works here)

• Any suggestions for a better media player than the included WMP9?

• Where can I find a copy of Flash Lite 3?

Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2010-03-26 12:10 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Good luck and I'll look forward to further comments.

Edited by hmascience 2010-03-26 12:10 PM
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2010-03-26 2:21 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I'd try this and see if it works for your icon/software problem http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/s/0127.asp
 Top of the page
Dana Page Icon Posted 2010-03-26 4:54 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

thcrw739, thanks, that solved that problem at least. External drive now works after reformatting it FAT32. The rear USB port does indeed seem to be a client port; I can plug it into another computer and that computer sees it as "mobile device", though it can't see anything on it... haven't tried Activesync yet. Biggest issue right now is lack of a good ebook reader which is 50% of what I wanted it for. SD card slot seems to not work at all... a 512MB MMC card isn't seen, and a 1GB SD card doesn't even fit in the slot. Unlike my digicam and my wife's, a friend's Panasonic digicam is seen as a usb drive. At this point there's enough problems that I'm leaning toward returning it but I'll play a bit more first. The alternative is the $200 8.9" XP netbook, but it's just enough larger and heavier that it's just not quite what I want.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2010-03-26 5:47 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

If you return it :

http://cgi.ebay.com/SAMSUNG-TINYBOOK-T706-7-MINI-LAPTOP-NETBOOK-COM...

If wouldn't have just bought something else, i would try for this one, Most people probably wont bid on it as they think its just another one of the other one of the many $99 ones.

RTFM just recently got one and said it's pretty good, Cant guarantee differences on what you want it to do, but it will be faster, & linux may be a alternative @ some point

and a bin http://cgi.ebay.com/Tiny-Book-Personal-Data-Assistant-PC_W0QQitemZ2...

Edited by thcrw739 2010-03-26 5:57 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-03-26 6:16 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Nice finds, thcrw739. It's a good sign for this form factor to see a major brand jumping into the CE netbook fray.

TCPMP is generally better than Windows Media Player 9, but don't expect it to handle YouTube videos any better than you've already described using Flash 7. (I'm looking for Flash Lite 3 as well for the same reason.)

Nice to hear it has a USB client port - I'm still looking for one that does.
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2010-03-26 7:01 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I tried 3 different versions of the Mobipocket Reader on my (ARM-based) SmartQ 7 (CE 6.0) from here and they all worked: HPC 4.8.413, OldWindowsMobile 4.9.446, and WindowsMobile 5.3.582.

Also, for PDF viewing, have you tried the evaluation version of Foxit Reader for CE 4.2/5.0?

Edited by mscdex 2010-03-26 7:05 PM
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2010-03-26 7:04 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Oh if you want to pay as much as a atom based netbook, but only want $25 a month payment http://www.seventhavenue.com/Featured-Products/Credit-Per-Amount/On...
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2010-03-27 2:34 AM
#
H/PC Elite

After playing with both a ce5 and ce6 netbook i can say that opera mobile will not work. However the updated IE6 isn't that bad. It's quite fast actually. To make it better install ftxBrowser to give it a tabbed interface. Other browsers that work are ucweb, opera mini (via phoneme jvm) and netfront. As for ebook readers mobipocket, haalireader, ubook and alreader2 work perfectly. Media players... for video tcpmp and coreplayer work great, for audio.. nitrogen and gsplayer2e work as well.

You'll find ce5/6 are very picky about what software they will run. I was annoyed at first having a slew of older ce3 software that 70% didn't work on ce5/6, but the more i surfed the net the more software i found that was newer (wm2003/wm2005) that runs perfectly fine. Just do some digging and experimenting. I have enough on my 2 netbooks to make them more than usable now.

Oh, and FYI.. softmaker office runs perfectly if you want an office suite.

I'll eventually be uploading a HUGE zip file full of stuff that runs on ce5/6 (freeware/shareware only) that you can extract to an SD card and run from there, or copy to the device itself.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2010-03-27 11:29 AM
#
H/PC Elder

On smartbook tcpmp changed youtube videos on flash7 from useless still slide show to playable video so expect it to be same on this
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2010-03-27 12:08 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC

RTFM--

I have a licensed Textmaker 2002 for HPC2000--will that run on these CE netbooks?

Jake

Top of the page
konker Page Icon Posted 2010-03-27 1:16 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

CE Geek - 2010-03-27 1:16 AM

Nice finds, thcrw739. It's a good sign for this form factor to see a major brand jumping into the CE netbook fray.

I don't think the Samsung T706 is really manufactured by Samsung.
Here's the spec sheet: http://donar.messe.de/exhibitor/007/120/146196/products/27356/links...
It does have a Samsung CPU but that is as far as it goes to associate it with the brand name.
TinyBook T706 would suffice.

Konker
 Top of the page
Dana Page Icon Posted 2010-03-29 4:05 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

mscdex - 2010-03-26 2:01 PM

I tried 3 different versions of the Mobipocket Reader on my (ARM-based) SmartQ 7 (CE 6.0) from here and they all worked: HPC 4.8.413, OldWindowsMobile 4.9.446, and WindowsMobile 5.3.582.

Also, for PDF viewing, have you tried the evaluation version of Foxit Reader for CE 4.2/5.0?

I couldn't get 4.9 or 5.3 to work, but after getting back from a weekend in the woods there was an email from the mobi folks who suggested I try 4.8, and that one does indeed work... so I'm one step closer to keeping the device.

Is there much advantage to 5.3? I did see a reference elsewhere to getting it to work on CE6 with some manually added dll's, but no indication of which ones?

Foxit works, but so does the pdf reader included with the device. Either would be OK for viewing documentation files or such, but not so good as an ebook reader since the text doesn't automatically flow and wrap... it'd be too painful to scroll back and forth and up and down for each page.

Now I just need a good media player... the included version of WMP9 doesn't seem to be able to see all the files on my external drive and shows very choppy video, and the [also included] voplayer is very limited, and kinda strange, and includes no help files or documentation... and crashes frequently.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-03-29 4:24 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

No surprise with Mobipocket Reader 4.8 - that version is well-documented as the last one to support the H/PC.

Have you tried TCPMP yet, Dana?
 Top of the page
Dana Page Icon Posted 2010-03-29 5:10 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

rtfm, thanks for the tip on ftxbrowser... got it installed and it runs, though I haven't played with it much. Tried to install Nitrogen 1.1 but all I get is an error about the cab file not being a valid CE setup file. Looking forward to your upload.

mr-mac, what version of tcpmp did you find to work on CE6? The only versions I could find either say "the application cannot run on this deice type" when I try to install from the CAB, or for another version installs but tells me it "encountered a serious error and much shut down".

Both SD cards I have here work... I don't know what the problem was before.

Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.298 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10