x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

My CE6 No Name 7" Mini Netbook

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next »
dave
dave Page Icon Posted 2010-07-22 11:53 AM
#
hi ,i have just bought one of these little guys at a boot fair ,looks ok at first glance but mine seems to have no calendar installed so you cant use it for appointments and even stranger no email facility!
while it connects fine to the web using either wireless or network cable (via the pc's second network adaptor) it seems unlike my usual PDA (i have a few dotted around) does it use activsync if so how activesync cannot see it via wireless or network cable nor a doube ended USB cable if thats used .
please help
 Top of the page
John
John Page Icon Posted 2010-08-09 10:34 PM
#
Removed: Violation rule #10
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-08-10 11:47 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Dave, you voice the same complaint the rest of us do...no Activesync capability or PIMs. You can install 3rd party PIMS, but you have to then import your data via a flash drive or SD card....nothing for sychronization.
 Top of the page
dozer Page Icon Posted 2010-08-12 8:13 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi, Just wondering if anyone can help.....I bought my sister an inexpensive no-name 7" netbook and she can't seem to do anything with it! We can connect via the wireless router to the internet and then......nothing. We can't go anywhere on the internet. Hopefully something that is simple but I'm feeling like I bought something that just isn't going to work. Any suggestions? Do we have to register it somewhere perhaps?? The "instruction booklet" isn't too useful
Thanks!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-08-13 4:39 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I have two stupid questions:

1) Have you turned WiFi on? (There's usually an icon on the desktop screen for this.)

2) Have you selected a wireless network to connect to?

If both have been done, then you can try shutting down the device and then starting it up again - I've found that this sometimes corrects the problem. If that doesn't do it, though, then it may be an issue with your router settings. (Remember this device has a Wireless-G receiver, so it won't connect with a router set for Wireless-N.)
 Top of the page
technogeist2k9 Page Icon Posted 2010-08-28 6:32 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I've just bought one of those VT8500 7" netbooks off ebay. Still waiting for its arrival.

Could an external USB-CD/DVD drive be used with these cheapo netbooks?
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2010-08-28 6:33 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

You do know that "Tinybook" isn't your machine, right? Two different critters hardware-wise, but I guess they same the "here's the netbook equivalent to a Rubik's cube... generic rubik's cube that it with the well-manufacturered ones mixed in with the not so well...."
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2010-08-28 6:35 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Free to download doesn't mean open-source and doesn't mean free to distribute outside of its container which might have other information in it.

But, with all the posts you've generated here, it's obvious that you really like at least the concept of Skype. Here's a link to Skype PocketPC which might have been used for the chinese netbooks: http://web.archive.org/web/20040602212414/skype.com/download_pda.html

It took a few minutes to find. Please note the resource for future reference. It's your passion, so I'll let you flip through the rest of the archives to see if a newer version exists, etc.

Jacobi - 2010-08-27 10:16 PM

btw your Tinybook is till working, with its original image, right?
Does it have Skype?
If so is there any way you could post a link where I could download all the installed Skype files? (Skype is a free program)
(Request made of course assuming that you have not used Skype yet and don't have any personal data in the Skype folder)
My hunch is the Skype program on netbooks is an older version and I really need to try and use it, so I would greatly appreciate.

Edited by hmascience 2010-08-28 1:06 PM
 Top of the page
technogeist2k9 Page Icon Posted 2010-08-28 6:36 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

hmascience - 2010-08-28 12:52 PM

You do know that "Tinybook" isn't your machine, right?

Yes.

But my question [the line ending with ?] relates to any of the current CE netbooks. Which, being CE5/6 OS are all pretty much equal. (a software thang)

Edited by technogeist2k9 2010-08-28 3:51 PM
 Top of the page
RTFM
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2010-08-28 6:36 PM
#
If you grab my wince5/6 software bundle which is linked a few times on this forum it includes the version of skype that came with the tinybook which is nothing more than an older version of pocketpc skype. Voip works fine to another pc, but the text doesn't show in the chat box.

Cheers
 Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-08-28 6:37 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

hmascience - 2010-08-28 8:05 AM
Here's a link to Skype PocketPC which might have been used for the chinese netbooks: http://web.archive.org/web/20040602212414/skype.com/download_pda.html
It took a few minutes to find. Please note the resource for future reference. It's your passion, so I'll let you flip through the rest of the archives to see if a newer version exists, etc.

Been further than there prior, and done that!
You are forgetting I've emphasized prior, that when needed, I'm already running Skype on pure WIFI at times (i.e, NOT using the cell phone provider data services) on my Wm6 phone! (Using the latest of the "Pocket PC" /"Windows Mobile" version, did you know?)".
by "My hunch is the Skype program on netbooks is an older version", (quoted from my prior question),
I meant Skype for Window Mobile 3, which is an old version compared to current versions of Skype in general...
(not "Skype for Pocket PC 0.94" as in your link; but thanks anyway).

When I have the time,..., I'll expand my answer to your whole message, including permissions from Skype, and speculations on where the versions of Skype on Chinese netbooks come from, on the WinCE 6 Skype thread I had started:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=15340&posts=12&start=1

In the meantime, I'm only mentioning here, that my question, addressed to RTFM, is specific to the T706.

I surely hope that RTFM is going to answer my question on Skype on the T706, it is in the right thread!

Question to RTFM:
Jacobi - 2010-08-27 10:16 PM

btw your Tinybook is till working, with its original image, right?
Does it have Skype?
If so is there any way you could post a link where I could download all the installed Skype files? (Skype is a free program)
(Request made of course assuming that you have not used Skype yet and don't have any personal data in the Skype folder)
My hunch is the Skype program on netbooks is an older version and I really need to try and use it, so I would greatly appreciate.

Edited by Jacobi 2010-08-28 4:55 PM
 Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-08-28 6:38 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

RTFM - 2010-08-28 11:14 AM

If you grab my wince5/6 software bundle which is linked a few times on this forum it includes the version of skype that came with the tinybook which is nothing more than an older version of pocketpc skype. Voip works fine to another pc, but the text doesn't show in the chat box.

Cheers

Thanks very much!
I had not seen it in the list, but
I'll be looking for it

I'm particularly interested to know if any modification was made so it will run under Windows CE6?
Are there any specific files that need to be either in the Skype folder, or, in the Windows folder?

>> Voip works fine to another pc
that would be like voice chat, i.e P2P, and only reaching other Skype usernames?
do you know if this version can use SkypeOut, i.e., it can make phone calls to phones?
that is the million-dollar question for me, it's the only way Skype acts like a real phone...it does that in WM6.

Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-08-28 6:38 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

technogeist2k9 - 2010-08-28 7:42 AM

I've just bought one of those VT8500 7" netbooks off ebay. Still waiting for its arrival.

Could an external USB-CD/DVD drive be used with these cheapo netbooks?

This should be answered in a generic 7" notebook thread, of which there are a few, but to start I've read Chinese netbook descriptions which indicate:
1)- datawise, the netbook is able to use USB for mass storage: so, yes
2)- hardwarewise, many of these have only 1 USB port that can do this, some have more than 1
3)- power issue: you would want to use a USB CDROM that has a separate power jack, so you can power it externally on its own, instead of using 2 USB ports, and not run down your battery.
I had noted one that had that feature in the sales thread:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=15358&posts=1&start=1
(Just to give you an idea what it would look like, unfortunately that item it seems is not a DVD reader.)
 Top of the page
RTFM
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2010-08-28 7:54 PM
#
I don't know if skypeout works. Never used it, never needed to. That's what cell phones are for.

Cheers
 Top of the page
technogeist2k9 Page Icon Posted 2010-08-29 12:25 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Jacobi - 2010-08-28 6:38 PM

(Just to give you an idea what it would look like, unfortunately that item it seems is not a DVD reader.)

I'm pretty sure that USB mass storage usually implies flash type devices, and not necessarily CD/DVD which require IDE/ATAPI protocol, and that's why I posed the question. (admittedly in the wrong thread. oops. )

If it were possible then DVD would be preferable these days. But it is quite cheap.

Edited by technogeist2k9 2010-08-29 12:27 AM
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.238 - Cached queries : 49 - Executed queries : 28