x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Netbook RAM question & explanation

Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-04-08 6:44 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I've been bugged by my Augen eGo. It works perfectly, no complaints...but the box advertises 128mb of DDR1 and 2gb of NAND. So when I open the system properties, I see a total of 75mb available between storage and program memory. I ran Resinfo on it and it also reported 75mb of available memory. So where is all this other memory as advertised. I contacted Augen and did the online live help thing...here is a copy of my transcript.

BTW, what does your netbook report compared to what it is advertised?

The transcript:

Mark: Hi Rich
Mark: How may I help you today?
Rich Hawley: Hi Mark, I have a simple question. I have the eGo netbook, the 533mHz variety, and no matter how I look at it, my system reports a total of 75mb of memory...yet the device is supposed to have 128mb + 2gb of NAND...what's up with that?
Mark: Please check on this steps:
Mark: Click Start>Settings>CONTROL PANEL
Mark: Click System on Control Panel
Mark: Click memory Tab and tell me what do you got there
Rich Hawley: I have 76696kb of program memory and 300kb of storage memory...I have the slider almost all the way to the left
Rich Hawley: What should it be reading?
Mark: on the left you will see the storage memory, on the right side you will see the Program memory and below the slider you will see each allocation
Rich Hawley: I understand the memory is shared between storage and application...
Mark: yup
Rich Hawley: But the total should be higher, shouldn't it?
Mark: no
Mark: the 128MB is the memory solely used for the windows CE
Rich Hawley: Is this a limitaton of CE5, that it only can access a portion of the available ram?
Mark: yes
Rich Hawley: What is the 2gb of NAND used for?
Mark: the 2gb is used for allocating memory for storage or application memory, the 128Mb is solely for the CE5 only, that is one of the limitations
Rich Hawley: Okay, even at that, 75mb is a far cry from 128mb isn't it? Or is it that the other 50mb is used by the operating system?
Mark: unlike windows xp or above versions, the 50 is a already allocated on system cache and the remaining if for other processes used by windows CE itself to execute
Rich Hawley: Okay, so the 2gb is for storage or application memory...storage of what?
Mark: storage of documents,pictures,audio files
Rich Hawley: One last question...any chance these things are flashable upgrade to CE6?
Mark: as of this moment no sir since the chipset is locked to CE5
Rich Hawley: Hmmm...okay, guess I'll live within CE5 contraints at the moment...so in closing, you are stating to me that the total of about 75mb of free memory shown in the system properties is as should be?
Mark: yes as the 50mb was already cached by the OS
Rich Hawley: Thank you Mark...guess that is all then.
Mark: Thanks for contacting Augen
Mark: Have a great day

Mark has left the conversation
Click here to leave a message
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-04-08 9:10 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'm just guessing here, but it might be that the allocation of program RAM is hard-coded like it is in Windows Mobile 5.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-04-08 9:18 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Does your eGo show the same memory allocation?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-04-08 9:40 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I don't have it handy at the moment, but I believe so.
 Top of the page
rgisondi
rgisondi Page Icon Posted 2010-04-08 10:29 PM
#
do the razorbook perform in the same way?
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2010-04-09 1:07 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Yep. The razorbook is about the same. The CE version anyway. The linux razorbook has a full 128 mb of ram for the system to use.

Edited by RTFM 2010-04-09 1:09 AM
 Top of the page
Dana Page Icon Posted 2010-04-09 2:17 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

FWIW, my generic CE6 minibook is advertised as 128MB, the system reports 118292 kb total (nearly all of which I've allocated for programs since I have the 2GM flash drive for storage).

-Dana
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2010-04-12 5:01 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2010-04-08 10:10 PM

I'm just guessing here, but it might be that the allocation of program RAM is hard-coded like it is in Windows Mobile 5.

definitely not. that's a totally unrelated thing. RAM is only used for running programs on WM5 and that has nothing to do with how much the OS itself takes up of this RAM.
also this device still has a RAM filesystem according to the posts here. so not like WM5.

as for the original question, I find it totally believable that the OS is using that much, it is possible they loaded the entire CE ROM image in RAM. for example my bsquare phh and netbook pro are like that, out of 128mb about 80mb is left for program ram and for storage ram. I can't say more without seeing it more closely.
 Top of the page
rgisondi Page Icon Posted 2010-05-11 1:11 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I also see that there are only 76 mb avaliable, but my question is where are located the 2 gb of nand? I do not see any storage folder

Rich Hawley - 2010-04-08 1:44 PM

I've been bugged by my Augen eGo. It works perfectly, no complaints...but the box advertises 128mb of DDR1 and 2gb of NAND. So when I open the system properties, I see a total of 75mb available between storage and program memory. I ran Resinfo on it and it also reported 75mb of available memory. So where is all this other memory as advertised. I contacted Augen and did the online live help thing...here is a copy of my transcript.

BTW, what does your netbook report compared to what it is advertised?

The transcript:

Mark: Hi Rich
Mark: How may I help you today?
Rich Hawley: Hi Mark, I have a simple question. I have the eGo netbook, the 533mHz variety, and no matter how I look at it, my system reports a total of 75mb of memory...yet the device is supposed to have 128mb + 2gb of NAND...what's up with that?
Mark: Please check on this steps:
Mark: Click Start>Settings>CONTROL PANEL
Mark: Click System on Control Panel
Mark: Click memory Tab and tell me what do you got there
Rich Hawley: I have 76696kb of program memory and 300kb of storage memory...I have the slider almost all the way to the left
Rich Hawley: What should it be reading?
Mark: on the left you will see the storage memory, on the right side you will see the Program memory and below the slider you will see each allocation
Rich Hawley: I understand the memory is shared between storage and application...
Mark: yup
Rich Hawley: But the total should be higher, shouldn't it?
Mark: no
Mark: the 128MB is the memory solely used for the windows CE
Rich Hawley: Is this a limitaton of CE5, that it only can access a portion of the available ram?
Mark: yes
Rich Hawley: What is the 2gb of NAND used for?
Mark: the 2gb is used for allocating memory for storage or application memory, the 128Mb is solely for the CE5 only, that is one of the limitations
Rich Hawley: Okay, even at that, 75mb is a far cry from 128mb isn't it? Or is it that the other 50mb is used by the operating system?
Mark: unlike windows xp or above versions, the 50 is a already allocated on system cache and the remaining if for other processes used by windows CE itself to execute
Rich Hawley: Okay, so the 2gb is for storage or application memory...storage of what?
Mark: storage of documents,pictures,audio files
Rich Hawley: One last question...any chance these things are flashable upgrade to CE6?
Mark: as of this moment no sir since the chipset is locked to CE5
Rich Hawley: Hmmm...okay, guess I'll live within CE5 contraints at the moment...so in closing, you are stating to me that the total of about 75mb of free memory shown in the system properties is as should be?
Mark: yes as the 50mb was already cached by the OS
Rich Hawley: Thank you Mark...guess that is all then.
Mark: Thanks for contacting Augen
Mark: Have a great day

Mark has left the conversation
Click here to leave a message
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2010-05-11 4:27 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Maybe the Flash is for OS storage, and they didn't make the left-over space available to user.

My Nexio S160 has 43492KB allocated to storage and 43748KB allocated to program, which is about 87MB total. It's a "128MB RAM" device. Flash ROM is 64MB, and about 37MB is available as the "NEXIO Vault" folder in root. The system is CE .NET 4.10.

So I thought this was common. Is it not like that on the MP 900C?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 28