x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Newbie Alert! Windows CE Netbook on eBay

nigelmercier Page Icon Posted 2010-04-11 12:21 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi,

Hope I'm in the right forum, if not please redirect this post.

I've just bought a 300MHZ VIA VT8505 based Windows CE Netbook on eBay, from one of the many sellers in China. It says it has Windows CE 6.0, but doesn't say if it R3. If not, can I update it?

Unlike other sellers, there is also no mention of Word. Does CE come with basic rich-text editing, like WordPad?

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-04-11 12:34 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Most of these CE 6 netbooks come with version R2 - I've yet to see one claiming to have R3. There'd have to be a CE 6 R3 ROM image for the VT8505 in order to upgrade, and I've yet to see one online. WordPad, however, is included on all the CE 6 R2 netbooks I've seen - including mine.

9000th post
 Top of the page
nigelmercier Page Icon Posted 2010-04-11 12:43 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Thanks for your reply, I just read the thread where you said you had bought one. Where would I look for updates?

Congratulations on Post #9000!

PS Just come back from a holiday is Southern CA, stunning place.

Edited by nigelmercier 2010-04-11 12:44 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-04-11 12:51 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to Windows Embedded CE 6.0

There are links in that thread to other sites where VT8505 ROM images can be downloaded. They're not updates though AFAIK; they're really for reflashing the device if it stops functioning properly. AFAIK the downloadable images are CE 6 R2 as well.
 Top of the page
NathanielZhu Page Icon Posted 2010-04-11 1:08 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I've heard some people got Flash 7 to install on CE. If that is the case, maybe we don't even need R3 since all it provides is that Flash Lite.

Just wondering:
Do you think HPC's will dominate the netbook/smartbook line of the future. It would be nice to get more software for it.

nigelmercier - 2010-04-11 12:21 AM

Hi,

Hope I'm in the right forum, if not please redirect this post.

I've just bought a 300MHZ VIA VT8505 based Windows CE Netbook on eBay, from one of the many sellers in China. It says it has Windows CE 6.0, but doesn't say if it R3. If not, can I update it?

Unlike other sellers, there is also no mention of Word. Does CE come with basic rich-text editing, like WordPad?

Well, the files could be saved in many types including rtf but I don't think the wordpad itself has the same features of the Wordpad on your desktop. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by NathanielZhu 2010-04-11 1:10 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-04-11 1:18 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

NathanielZhu - 2010-04-10 5:08 PM
Just wondering:
Do you think HPC's will dominate the netbook/smartbook line of the future. It would be nice to get more software for it.

Still too early to tell, but it's possible. At least one netbook manufacturer has switched from Linux to CE recently:

http://www.windowsfordevices.com/c/a/News/Datawind-UbiSurfer/
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.155 - Cached queries : 45 - Executed queries : 27