x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

cellphone tethering, usb, com port cdma modem

Dana Page Icon Posted 2010-04-16 4:05 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I'm trying to figure out if it's in any way possible to tether my CE6 minibook to my cellphone as I do with my XP laptop. I suspect the answer is no, but short of bricking my device, which I'd prefer to avoid, it can't hurt to try.

What I really need, I guess, is a CDMA modem driver for CE6. Not sure if it needs to be model specific (for my LG VX5300 phone) or generic.

Like most of the Chinese minibooks, I have two normal USB ports on the side, and a special one on the back. This can be changed via a "usb client" applet in Control panel, to "mass storage", "serial", or "RNDIS" (which is supposedly for activesync). Setting it to "serial" results in a "USB Cable (com8: )" device showing up under "ports". Interestingly, there is also a "serial cable on UART0 Atlas Debugging Board (com1: )" listed there, and also "hayes compatible on com1:" listed under "modems".

Now, if I try to add a new dialup network connection, the only choice is "Hayes compatible on com1:". Try to set up a connection using it, and I get "the port is not available". Go into the registry, search for Hayes, and change the settings there to com8, now it shows up as com8, but the results are the same.

One wonders where one would connect a modem to COM1 since there is no connection, no phone line connection as on my Jornada. I'm guessing the serial on the debugging board is how you would flash the ROM, if a cable was soldered in place.

If I plug the phone into the side usb ports, I get "unidentified usb device", not surprising.

Now I don't suppose that the cellphone is really Hayes compatible, but on my XP laptop (with proper drivers, naturally) the phone does show up as a COM port, both to DUN as well as Bitpim.

-Dana

Was Jimi Hendrix's modem a Purple Hayes?
 Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-04-17 9:59 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

what OS does your phone run?

I've been wondering (and asking elsewhere on hpcfactor, lol!) about connection to CE devices from other CE and/or WM6 devices, and reading online... and as you know, the result is either no answer, or, it is that WinCE does not accept remote access (while WM6 has DUN).
You tried with the USB ports, here is a new approach I'd like to explore for connectivity.

For WM6 phones, I read that ICS, which is included, can deliver internet to an XP device via a registry tweak on the phone: it would be great if this modified ICS could reach to a WinCE device too, instead of any activesync-type process? no need for a modem there, if we tweak as follows. The question here is, can a WM6 phone be on a wifi network and dial to its data services at the same time? I believe so, as long as it has dual CDMA, so that would be the only type of phone considered in this experiment.

... An interesting fact is, if you have a phone that can use a SDIO wifi card or has built-in wifi, you have some control of your IP subnet via router, ans if you would use the RJ45 on the Netbook to connect it to the same router, then you would get both devices setup automatically with an IP in the same subnet: what could happen then, what could the possibilities be?

With some modding, (that the geek group on hpcfactor have proven to be extremely apt to develop)? If at least that type of connection could be established successfully (reciprocal) , maybe some of its functionality could be tweaked and used to force the netbook to accept ICS from the (registry-tweaked) phone? But first of all, connecting the devices as peer-to-peer TCP/IP network would have to be established thru the router
--wirelessly by wifi from the phone (since I doubt many people would want to buy a SDIO NIC, and besides, newer phones don't even have a SDIO slot)
--corded on the Netbook via RJ45 cable to the router

Even if true remote computing as in, --using the phone data services on the netbook--, was not possible, I would still be very interested in seeing a process to link 2 winCE/WM devices, as some (otherwise very nice!) phones have the memory card tucked under the battery, so it would be great to be able to explore/copy/paste files between that type of phone and a netbook's storage card?... makes you dream.

(Please note though: I'm a newbie on WinCE, and I might be far-off here, as far as what the architecture of the OS will allow, for these devices to actually see each other, less interact, when on the same subnet, and in the least, modding may be needed. Which brings me to the question, I read that there are both enhancements and deletions in WinCE6 compared to WinCE5, ...what would be the best version of CE to use, for this CE>-<CE, CE>-<WM connectivity project?

(and, last but not least, I would love to test this ad-hoc network and report on it here myself... but I do not have a CE6 device yet, I still need to obtain some details on these before deciding which model to buy)
 Top of the page
Dana Page Icon Posted 2010-04-18 3:50 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

My phone is an old basic phone with BREW OS. Any solution will have to be on the netbook side.

Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.296 - Cached queries : 41 - Executed queries : 29