x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Wireless Network: Failed to associate ...

1 2 3
nigelmercier Page Icon Posted 2010-04-17 10:27 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I was using my Chinese CE Netbook last night (is there a preferred acronym for these?), it was working fine, then later I shut it down. I started it up this morning and tried to connect to my wireless AP. It goes through Scanning, Associating etc, then comes back with "Failed to associate with [SSID of router]" then "Not Connected". I've tried it on three APs, same result. Connect fine on a wired connection.

What could the problem be?

Edited by nigelmercier 2010-04-17 10:28 AM
 Top of the page
nigelmercier Page Icon Posted 2010-04-17 11:37 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I've had a look with ipconfig, and I notice that the lease was obtained last night. Shouldn't ipconfig /renew start a new lease?
 Top of the page
nigelmercier Page Icon Posted 2010-04-17 1:34 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hmmm... I've now managed to connect to another IP, the only difference is this one prompted for WPA/TKIP instead of WPA2/AES.

Later: rebooted, now can't reconnect.

Edited by nigelmercier 2010-04-17 2:18 PM
 Top of the page
nigelmercier Page Icon Posted 2010-04-17 4:53 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Later still: rebooted router, and all OK.

While this works for my own APs, it is no use for using outside APs. My only thought is that rebooting forced a new lease from the DHCP server, which for some reason I couldn't do with ipconfig.

Any thoughts?
 Top of the page
jim b
jim b Page Icon Posted 2010-04-27 12:40 AM
#
i have the same problem with my 'chinese' netbook. i just got it today. i have configured the wireless (rt28701?) several times and get the same thing. associating with ssid, then failed to associate, then not connected. it works fine with lan wire connection. i sure hope someone comes up with soem sort of solution.
 Top of the page
Dana Page Icon Posted 2010-04-27 3:26 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I've seen the "failed to associate" once or twice with my minibook, But normally it works fine. I don't recall for sure, but I think all I did was to reset the minibook. My router is set so the IP lease never expires. I'm using WPA/TKIP, with SSID broadcast turned off.

One thought, just a guess, is to check the DHCP settings in the router... if the IP address pool is too small and they all get used up, you won't be able to connect until you reset the router.

-Dana
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-04-27 8:28 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I use a slightly different version of Dana's solution: I just shut down and restart the device.
 Top of the page
Dana Page Icon Posted 2010-04-27 1:40 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

CE Geek - 2010-04-27 3:28 AM

I use a slightly different version of Dana's solution: I just shut down and restart the device.

That IS the same thing as reset on mine. I suspect the reset button just forces a power off when the power button or start menu won't work.

Hmmm, perhaps I spoke too soon. Tried to access my home network last night and nothing... the entry for my network was missing, I had to recreate it, network ID, passphrase, etc... after which it worked fine. Seems this has happened before, too, now that I think about it.

-Dana
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-04-27 2:13 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Question: What type of router are you all using that gives you problems...is there a hardware compatibility issue perhaps? The only reason I ask is I saw an eBay auction recently where the seller was selling his notebook only because it wouldn't connect with his brand router...not that it should make any difference.
 Top of the page
wronghand
wronghand Page Icon Posted 2010-04-28 4:11 PM
#
I have the same problems as "Jim B" Have wireless connection with my network, but I am wondering about the proper method for - internet options - only 3 check boxes. First one is LAN, ok. but what about the other two. Which ones did you check and what information did you put in??
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2010-04-28 8:23 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Also as dumb as it sounds, make sure your wifi is 'activated'. A lot of these netbooks have a seperate wifi utility to turn on/off the wifi. Even with wifi off the connection wizard will scan and show AP's, but will refuse to connect if you havent turned your wifi on.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
wronghand
wronghand Page Icon Posted 2010-04-28 11:22 PM
#
Yes I saw that. Mine has a wifi icon on the desktop. It's on. I have an XP laptop and a Vista desktop both with wifi, no problem. I do feel awkward asking about my no-name smartbook which should be easy! The winCE/6.0 is alittle different with RT28701 as the wifi connection and the GETCE6B1 for the LAN through the control panel. When I, view -internet options - connection, I have a check box for - Use LAN, ok. But what does anyone have for the check box - Use configuration script. With the last choice of - Use a proxy server ???
 Top of the page
Dana Page Icon Posted 2010-04-30 1:54 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Wronghand, with your basic home router you shouldn't have "use configuration script" or "use proxy server". Neither affect the actual wireless connection anyway, only your internet connection after you're already connected to the wireless.

-Dana

1200 bps used to seem so fast!
 Top of the page
dancer
dancer Page Icon Posted 2010-05-06 5:43 PM
#
I am also having problems with the wireless connection. I cannot even get to the screen that displays wireless information. Can someone walk me through that process please.
 Top of the page
NotYetRegistered
NotYetRegistered Page Icon Posted 2010-06-12 4:11 PM
#
Had the same problem with mine! Tried all solutions and configs. I Ebay'd a solution ---- I bought an USB outboard
801 b/g adapter with a driver for CE. Try http://myworld.ebay.com/sales.auctionbestforall/. The software looked a bit
difficult to install. I did not even try; I simply plugged in the adapter, turned the smart book on. I got an immediate connection! Good luck!!!
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 11