x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Word Processor for CE Netbook?

1 2
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2010-04-18 3:24 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Sorry, confused you accidentially. I meant Pocket Word which you call Word Pad.

Haven't seen any word processor for CE except SoftMaker Fffice. And no, you can't use desktop serial for CE version.

What did you mean under "messing up existing software"?

Edited by Alt Bass 2010-04-18 3:29 PM
 Top of the page
nigelmercier Page Icon Posted 2010-04-18 3:27 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Alt Bass - 2010-04-18 3:24 PM

There is no seperate package, what CE version do need Word for?

CE 6.0, not sure what R (how do I find out?)
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2010-04-18 3:29 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

See my updated post, please.
 Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-04-20 5:17 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Rich Hawley - 2010-04-18 7:49 AM

Unlike my HPCs, there is no suspend feature on my eGo. You turn it on, you turn it off.
There is also no lid shutting feature. I close the lid, the thing is still on, the lid is simply closed.

I'm not sure if we use the term suspend in the same meaning, so here are some pragmatic situations:

1)_ You turn it on, you turn it off

so when you turn it on, are all the apps/windows you were using still there the same or not?

2)__I close the lid, the thing is still on, the lid is simply closed.

does the screen really stay lit when it is closed?
does it drain the battery a lot, where you would advise to really shutdown the device instead of just closing the lid?

How about when it is left open, does it have a feature to blank the screen after a period of inactivity?
(Seems this would be customized thru power management module in CP?)
and if it gets blank, does the device shutdown?
or does it resume by pressing a key or the on/off button?

By any chance have you used a Psion netbook Pro?
That is the device I have now:
I'm trying to see how a new device would compare to it before buying.

Windows CE is often customized for the hardware, so I really appreciate knowing how a particular device really behaves, you cannot assume much just by knowing which version of CE it runs! -- thanks
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-04-20 9:00 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

No, when you turn it back on again, it's a fresh boot - like a soft reset.

The TinyBook T706 (which runs Windows Embedded CE 6.0) does turn the display off after a period of inactivity, and you get it back by touching the touchpad or pressing a key. (I like this feature.)
 Top of the page
Dana Page Icon Posted 2010-04-20 2:04 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Jacobi - 2010-04-20 12:17 AM

I'm not sure if we use the term suspend in the same meaning, so here are some pragmatic situations:

1)_ You turn it on, you turn it off

so when you turn it on, are all the apps/windows you were using still there the same or not?

No, as CE Geek said it's like a soft reset.

2)__I close the lid, the thing is still on, the lid is simply closed.

does the screen really stay lit when it is closed?
does it drain the battery a lot, where you would advise to really shutdown the device instead of just closing the lid?

Yes.

How about when it is left open, does it have a feature to blank the screen after a period of inactivity?
(Seems this would be customized thru power management module in CP?)
and if it gets blank, does the device shutdown?
or does it resume by pressing a key or the on/off button?

On my device at least (generic CE6 minibook) there is a "power" applet in Control Panel. Here you can set times for user idle, system idle, and suspend. The idle times, as I understand them, simply reduce power to part of the system after a period of inactivity. Suspend powers the device down, except for RAM and timer, so that when you press the power button it immediately comes back to life where you left off, programs running, etc. My device, at least, came with no other means for the user to force the machine into suspend, but there is a "suspend" app... which works about half the time (half the time it simply locks up the system, forcing you to power down anyway).

BTW to get back to the original subject, Pocket Word and other apps (including the suspend app) are available here, look for the "Razorbook working applications" thread in the CE5 section.

-Dana
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-04-20 5:42 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'm surprised you're getting any suspends at all, Dana - none of the netbooks I have, either CE 5 or 6, have ever suspended in response to executing any "suspend" applet - they all power off completely.
 Top of the page
nigelmercier Page Icon Posted 2010-04-20 6:02 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

CE Geek - 2010-04-20 5:42 PM

I'm surprised you're getting any suspends at all, Dana - none of the netbooks I have, either CE 5 or 6, have ever suspended in response to executing any "suspend" applet - they all power off completely.

I don't think mine has Suspend either, even though the manual mentions "Standby Time". The Power Schemes in CP are all greyed out, and even pressing the Zzz button brings up the Shut Down menu. Pity really.

Edited by nigelmercier 2010-04-20 6:03 PM
 Top of the page
paulm64 Page Icon Posted 2010-05-20 12:44 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Rich Hawley - 2010-04-17 8:32 AM

Wordpad, or Pocket Word are, as you have discovered, very limited. The only other option is Textmaker...strange that the software doesn't remember your settings, Textmaker on mine does.

Or you could run a DOS word processor under PocketDOS as I am doing below just for the fun of it...

Where did you get PocketDOS that works? I've downloaded from a few places but never found one that worked.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.207 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 13