x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows 3.1 under WindowsCE

ntware Page Icon Posted 2010-04-19 2:52 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Ok, maybe this is not the best forum to ask about that, but PocketDOS forum is almost dead (can't get an aswer there). So, as I have many friends here, and the forum is always very active and probably someone has had the same problem I'm facing, I will post my question here so that maybe I will get some help.
Well, I was planning to install Windows 3.1 on my nice Jornada using PocketDOS. First I tried Windows 3.0 with DOS 5 and it worked flawlessly (in real mode). I even installed the mouse driver available on the PocketDOS site and it worked. Now I want to install Windows 3.1 but I'm having some trouble.
First I tried to load SETUP.EXE but it says I need a 286 or higher. So I typed SETCPU 286 and it launched setup. Then it starts to load a Extended memory software and when it does, the screen scramble (with crazy colorfull dots) and the system (DOS) hangs. I have to restart PocketDOS.
Then, looking on the forums I found that a good option is to use the BOCHS cpu emulator. I downloaded the DLL, putted on the PocketDOS folder, configured it to use this CPU emulator plugin and restarted. When it starts to boot the MS-DOS it hangs and quit without any error message. I had to delete the DLL to make PocketDOS boot again. Weird. But I keep trying and I found a solution there to install it without any CPU/FPU emulator (that is faster). I just need to put emm286.exe and qext.sys drivers on my config.sys file. I found the emm286.exe on the internet, but I couldn't find qext.sys ANYWHERE. Does anybody know a place where I should go?
So, I'm lost! If I find a way to make this 486 emulator runs on my pocketdos, I will be able to load himem.sys and install windows 3.1. Why is it not working? Or maybe if I can get the qext.sys file, I will test to see if it will install Windows 3.1

PS: the PDOS_WMFPUEMU_FPU.dll worked but I didn't notice any difference. I couldn't load HIMEM.SYS neither Windows 3.1 setup.

edit: I made a backup and hard reseted my Jornada. Only installed PocketDOS to see if the problem persists. Well, it does! I put the BOCHS dll and load it and the PocketDOS didn't boot anymore. Had to delete the DLL Plugin to make PocketDOS boots again. I remeber that some years ago (I think 2 or 3 years) I had this plugin running on my old Jornada 720. Now I bought a new Jornada 728 and it's not running. I don't know if the compiled a new version of this plugin that doesn't support jornada anymore.
 Top of the page
nathanpc Page Icon Posted 2010-04-23 12:04 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

You've have the full version of PocketDOS or the trial one?

Just to know, because I want to buy it, but it's too much expensive...
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2010-04-23 1:41 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I'm using the trial one. Actually, I figured out how to make Windows 3.1 works. PocketDOS 1.12.3 doesn't work with CPU Plugins on WinCE3.0 - at least it didn't work on my both Jornada 720 and Jornada 728. So I searched for old versions of PocketDOS and got 1.12.2 and it worked with the BOCHS plugin. So, after that was easy. I just put DEVICE=C:\HIMEM.SYS on my config.sys file and was abble to run Windows 3.0 in Standard Mode, instead of the Real Mode. Of course it was much much much more slower, but it runs. So the next step was to make Windows 3.1 running. I installed it on my desktop computer using Sun VirtualBox and then copied the folder to my CF. I crossed my fingers and voilá! It worked!! Windows 3.1 in standard mode. I will take some screenshots latter.
But it is interesting that this bug appeared on v.1.12.3. Maybe it's interesting for the PocketDOS team to see what they did different on this version and figure out why it doesn't work with plugins anymore, I mean, the BOCHS plugin, because the other one worked, but doesn't help to run Windows 3.1.
 Top of the page
nathanpc Page Icon Posted 2010-04-23 2:37 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hmm, nice mate.

Also, I've done this... I've buyed PocketDOS! Now I'm waiting to get the email with the serial...
 Top of the page
wkt Page Icon Posted 2012-05-20 2:42 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi, I got some inspiration from your discussion !

I digged out my old Windows 3.1 installation diskettes and installed them
from a USB stick ( which I prepared by copying all the diskettes on it )
under the fine pDOSBox emulator on my 7 inch chinese Wondermedia
( wm8505/wm8650 ) netbooks.

Without any deeper knowledge/information about Win3.1 this "runs" now
( see the images ).

What hampers the fun is the mouse : I have two symbols of it - I think one is
the WinCE touchpad mouse pointer and the other is a Win3.1 one (???).
If I put the WinCE mouse onto the Win3.1 pointer I can move it - but not
across the whole screen... It seems to be trapped somehow in a window.

Do you have some hints/suggestions how I could change that behaviour ?
I installed the "Microsoft PS/2" driver. Is that wrong ?

(windows2.jpg)

(windows1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments windows2.jpg (70KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments windows1.jpg (86KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 10